Help requested. Child in debt.

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Neubarth, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Neubarth

Neubarth At the Ballpark July 30th

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Help requested. Child in debt.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One of the children that I raised, Heather (last saw her about seven years ago. One of 32 foster children that I raised) has called me in tears and wants to know what to do. She went on through college and just graduated, but in the middle of her senior year, her grants were cut and she finished up her senior year living on a credit card. She was paying 9% interest originally.

The credit card company raised her interest rate to 29% when she reached the maximum on the card. She explained her situation and said that as soon as she landed a job, she would pay off the credit card. So far she does not have a job and they are harassing her with twenty to thirty calls a day, trying to run up her cellphone bill. They are sons of bitches from hell and need to be punished.

Now, I feel like going down to their office with a shotgun and just blowing the shit out of the place, but something tells me that is illegal, so I am asking, what can I do to stop the harassment calls? What can she do to get the compounded interest off of her card? If you tell me nothing can be done, watch your newspapers because I am going to have a damn good time in downtown San Diego in a day or two. No young child deserves to be treated like she has.

What can she legally do to get out from this situation? The credit card company is trying to take advantage of her and rip her off because she is in a difficult situation. That is total crap! Is there an agency that is non profit that she can turn to?

I do not want to send her to some company that will just try to rip her off as well. I don't want to have to shoot up two offices, but will if I get really ticked off.

What can I tell her? Who can she turn to?

This kind of shit has got to stop.

2. CrimsonWhite

CrimsonWhite *****istrator Emeritus Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    Unfortunately, the only thing that you can do is pay the card off. After all, she spent their money. Now they want it back.

3. Nik

Nik Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +85
  4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    She can declare bankruptsy and the credit cards will likely be discharged.

Her student loans, however, are not going to be discharged.

So she borrowed at 9% and now the debts are being computed at 29%, eh?

Must be nice to be a credit card company in a nation where such criminal things are perfectly legal.

So screwing those credit card companies, is not only moral, but paying them back is actually immoral as far as I can tell.

Credit card caompanies are parasites, folks.

Oh I know they used to be something useful to the people of this nation, because I used to have those cards before they became what they are today.

But what they are now, thanks to them having bought the souls of our Congress-critters, is nothing but parasites.

Tell you daughter to screw them to the best of her ability, not merely for herself, but as a blow for freedom and justice for all of us.

As you can probably tell, I am not a big fan of these criminals with a license to steal.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  5. plt42

plt42 A Constitutionalist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40
    About all she can do now is make the minimum payments and eat that high interest rate. It's important to her credit history and rating.

Once she gets a job ( or two ) and establishes a bank account, she may be able to get a bank loan to pay off the cc at a much lower interest rate.

I wish her the best of luck. And for God's sake... tell her not to answer her phone!

6. Dis

Dis Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    That's probably not something you want to threaten around here...

That said, she racked up the CC debt, and now the CC company wants their money back. If her funding for school was "suddenly" cut, and her interest rate was "suddenly" raised, you might want to look into why. That doesn't change the fact that she spent the money, and now has to pay it back. Might as well buckle down and do just that. If they're calling her for their money 20 times a day, it's because she's not paying the bill. They don't call people who are on time, or early with their payments.

7. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,887
    Give her this link:

National Foundation for Credit Counseling

They will help her come up with a plan to pay off her debt in a manner she can afford. It doesn't cost anything.

8. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,114
    No one ever said being responsible was easy.

9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Screw them and their jacked-up interest rates.

That girl did not rack up debt at 29% she borrowed money at 9%.

Screw the myth of your credit ratings, too.

Basically what you people are saying is that you need to cozy up to parasites to make it in America.

You think this credit industry is a good thing? Not anymore it isn't .

The sooner Americans stop giving a shit about this parasitic industry (and their fucking credit ratings) the sooner this nation gets back control over its own finances.

These people are monsters and the industry they work for should be put out of business entirely.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,887
    A lot of card companies are jacking up the rates right now simply because they can...in a few months the rules will be stricter so they are trying to rake in the dough while they can.