Help please: Re kindle fire

Foxfyre

Eternal optimist
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2007
Desert Southwest USA
I have received a generous gift certificate for the purpose of obtaining the Kindle reader of my choice.

I am pretty sure I want the Kindle Fire instead of one of the plain e-readers, but I am on a limited budget and don't know whether it is worth it to get the Kindle Fire HD rather than the original Kindle Fire, and most especially whether the larger screen is really worth the extra money. And what is the difference in user satisfaction between 2g and 4g?

Do you have any experience with these? What are the pros and cons?

I have a Kindle Fire.
Depends on what you are looking to use it for, the HD graphics are only noticeable if you are watching HD content. Same with the larger screen, depends on what you want to use it for.
My Kindle fire is absolutely fine for reading, the size fits n your hand pleasantly.
The screen is also fine for playing games like Angry Birds etc.
The extra size would be nice if you are planning to say use it for recipes and be able to read it from standing above it, that wouldn't be too easy with the small screen.

Oh thanks Iam. Can you also use the Kindle Fire for surfing? GPS? Accessing apps like AOL, Facebook, or USMB etc.?

And is the resolution for reading good? As good as the regular Kindle e-readers?

Theres no photo capability I would imagine.

Last edited:
Oh thanks Iam. Can you also use the Kindle Fire for surfing? GPS? Accessing apps like AOL, Facebook, or USMB etc.?

And is the resolution for reading good? As good as the regular Kindle e-readers?

It sounds like you're describing my Ipad.

It sounds like you're describing my Ipad.

Some of the readers do a lot of things the Ipad will do. But there are some limitations I'm sure. I just don't want to spend the money without knowing for sure what I'm getting, and the info at the sites where you order these don't tell you a whole lot.

Surfing....(C-)...screen is too small really.
GPS...(B+)...works fine. (remember non 4G models do not use cellular networking, has to have a network to connect, so GPS is useless unless you pre-map your trip before leaving)
FaceBook app (B+)
USMB (C-)...type face is really small.
Resolution for reading (A)...but regular e-readers have that "paper simulation" Kindle Fire does not, but I have no trouble and my eyesight is not very good.
No photo capability.

Surfing....(C-)...screen is too small really.
GPS...(B+)...works fine. (remember non 4G models do not use cellular networking, has to have a network to connect, so GPS is useless unless you pre-map your trip before leaving)
FaceBook app (B+)
USMB (C-)...type face is really small.
Resolution for reading (A)...but regular e-readers have that "paper simulation" Kindle Fire does not, but I have no trouble and my eyesight is not very good.
No photo capability.

Thanks so much. Really appreciate it.

I have both the original "plain" Kindle and a Kindle Fire.

The first thing I noticed when I got my Kindle Fire was how much heavier it is than the original Kindle reader.

If I am just going to read, I much prefer my original Kindle, not only because it's lighter weight, but I also prefer the noncolor screen for reading. My Kindle does not require Wifi, I forget what you call it (Whisper?) but it can connect to the online store no matter where you are.

The only thing I've used my Kindle Fire for is playing games, and it is great for that. It does not have Whisper, so Wifi is required to go online.

The first thing I noticed when I got my Kindle Fire was how much heavier it is than the original Kindle reader.

If I am just going to read, I much prefer my original Kindle, not only because it's lighter weight, but I also prefer the noncolor screen for reading. My Kindle does not require Wifi, I forget what you call it (Whisper?) but it can connect to the online store no matter where you are.

The only thing I've used my Kindle Fire for is playing games, and it is great for that. It does not have Whisper, so Wifi is required to go online.

Okay, that is helpful.

Thank you all for your input. Much appreciated.

Oh I did have one other question if somebody knows. If you have a plain Kindle reader AND a Kindle Fire, and you purchase an e-book, do you have to purchase the e-book separately for each one? Or does one purchase go to both?

Last edited:

Okay, that is helpful.

Thank you all for your input. Much appreciated.

Oh I did have one other question if somebody knows. If you have a plain Kindle reader AND a Kindle Fire, and you purchase an e-book, do you have to purchase the e-book separately for each one? Or does one purchase go to both?

Single purchase...everything you buy from Amazon is available to any device you have. Once purchased, a copy will also be stored on your Amazon Cloud available for viewing/downloading multiple times using your login credentials.

Forum List

Back