Heartland Institute in financial trouble

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
The ultra-conservative Heartland Institute admitted it was in financial crisis on Wednesday, with the flight of corporate donors making it difficult to pay staff or cover the costs of its annual conference aimed at debunking climate science.

In a speech at the close of this year's climate conference, Heartland's president, Joseph Bast, acknowledged that a provocative ad campaign comparing believers in human-made climate change to psychopaths had exacted a heavy cost.

However, Bast also attributed Heartland's current problems to his weakness in financial management.

"These conferences are expensive, and I'm not a good fundraiser so as a result I don't raise enough money to cover them. We really scramble to make payroll as a result to cover these expenses," Bast said.

This year's conference was a drastically shrunken version of earlier Heartland gatherings, which attracted up to 800 attendees and ran several concurrent sessions. Those events were also lucrative for Heartland, accounting for half of its non-fundraising events revenue, according to documents obtained through deception by the scientist Peter Gleick.

At this year's gathering in Chicago, fewer than 170 turned up for the gala opening banquet, and the conference only managed to eke out one session at a time, and brought in relatively few outside speakers.

Heartland Institute in financial crisis after billboard controversy | Environment | guardian.co.uk

Interesting.

Wonder why this RW radical organization is being abandoned by its corporate sponsors?

Of course we'll probably never really know.

good post Chris.

I would like to point out that the sceptical side immediately came down hard on Heartland for using the same sort of bullshit that the warmer's side frequently uses. but the warmers seldom criticize their own no matter how outlandish or deceptive or even fraudulent the claim, because they think anything done in the name of 'the cause' is justified.

Their financial difficulty also begs the question of the theorized barges of money coming from big oil and big coal. If the skeptical side is so flush with cash as claimed by warmists, how could the most high profile of skeptical organizations be having financial problems?

Their financial difficulty also begs the question of the theorized barges of money coming from big oil and big coal. If the skeptical side is so flush with cash as claimed by warmists, how could the most high profile of skeptical organizations be having financial problems?

Beat me to it.

Yeah, I though Big Coal was funding the Deniers.

But they are correct that the Warmers are a Death Loving Cult

Forum List

Back