Heart Problems

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
Somebody very close to me (not me) is a workout-aholic. They work out at least 1.5 hours a day, every day, they are fit looking, active, etc.

At 44 they were just diagnosed as having had a "silent" heart-attack and they were told they might need open-heart surgery.

Makes you wonder why you should workout.....

Actually not, but it is sad to see somebody that takes care of themself very well, that does not smoke, drink, etc. have heart problems at such a young age.

freeandfun1 said:
Somebody very close to me (not me) is a workout-aholic. They work out at least 1.5 hours a day, every day, they are fit looking, active, etc.

At 44 they were just diagnosed as having had a "silent" heart-attack and they were told they might need open-heart surgery.

Actually not, but it is sad to see somebody that takes care of themself very well, that does not smoke, drink, etc. have heart problems at such a young age.
Free, I'm sorry about your friend. Heart problems are a very scary thing especially when it's unexpected like that! Good luck to your friend and you all will be in my Prayers!

UsaPride said:
Free, I'm sorry about your friend. Heart problems are a very scary thing especially when it's unexpected like that! Good luck to your friend and you all will be in my Prayers!

Thank you very much!

Did you know heart disease is the # 1 killer of women? Over breast cancer?

They attribute part of it to women being in the 'workforce' and having added stress. Apparently, tho' your friend works out he isn't releasing the stress. I'm sorry .
My father was a very athletic man. Use to preach to his buddies about their eating habits, drinking, smoking. He died of colon cancer--another stress disease. Seems he turned stress inward.

Joz said:
Did you know heart disease is the # 1 killer of women? Over breast cancer?

They attribute part of it to women being in the 'workforce' and having added stress. Apparently, tho' your friend works out he isn't releasing the stress. I'm sorry .
My father was a very athletic man. Use to preach to his buddies about their eating habits, drinking, smoking. He died of colon cancer--another stress disease. Seems he turned stress inward.

Actually, I wasn't gonna let it out of the bag, but the person is my WIFE. So yes, I know and it SCARES me.

She is naturally (if there is such a thing) a stressful person. She doesn't work, but I guess the stress over selling our house took it's toll. She is avid about working out (and, of course, looks fine) and she does so six days a week at LEAST 1.5 hours a day, but usually more. She takes cycling classes, boxing, lifts weights, etc. It just amazes me. I figured I would be the one to have heart problems first. I am lazy, overweight (although I am working out with a trainer again now, so am losing) and I smoke cigs. But I just had a stress test and was told I have the heart of a 20 something. Go figure.

I am sure all will be okay, but I really worry cuz she stresses out over EVERYTHING.

freeandfun1 said:
Actually, I wasn't gonna let it out of the bag, but the person is my WIFE.

I'm so very sorry to hear that.

You know, stress is different than nervousness. My mother is a VERY nervous type person. Say the word nervous & weight just drops off her; very hightstrung. Dad on the other hand, as I said, took very good care of himself. Was a patient man. But the stress got him. Have your wife talk to the drs about it. I'm not one to run to a pill but if that is what it takes for your wife to manage the stress, so be it. Now we have to worry about you. This is scarey. Take care of yourself. You need to be able to handle this as well. Also, I believe a body is going to do what a body is going to do. Not that you should abuse it, but some of this stuff is heredity. Which scares me, too. Please keep me informed.

Free, I'm so sorry to hear it's your wife! She, you both, will definately be in my Prayers!!

Thank you all for your words of support. We will get through it. She is one tuff cookie, so once she learns how to control her stress/nervousness, etc., she should be okay.

My dad had his first heat attack at 35. I am now 37, so I worry about it a lot. Up until about two years ago I was in excellent shape other than my smoking. I worked out five days a week boxing and I loved it. But then I spent a year commuting back and forth between NYC and Vegas and I put on about (eek) 40 pounds!

I am back to getting it off and this recent news regarding my wife is making me start looking at things more closely.

Again, thanks for the support and prayers. They are TRULY appreciated.

freeandfun1 said:
Actually, I wasn't gonna let it out of the bag, but the person is my WIFE. So yes, I know and it SCARES me.

She is naturally (if there is such a thing) a stressful person. She doesn't work, but I guess the stress over selling our house took it's toll. She is avid about working out (and, of course, looks fine) and she does so six days a week at LEAST 1.5 hours a day, but usually more. She takes cycling classes, boxing, lifts weights, etc. It just amazes me. I figured I would be the one to have heart problems first. I am lazy, overweight (although I am working out with a trainer again now, so am losing) and I smoke cigs. But I just had a stress test and was told I have the heart of a 20 something. Go figure.

I am sure all will be okay, but I really worry cuz she stresses out over EVERYTHING.

Free.. that's pretty common with women your wife's age. She is probably somewhere close to entering menopause. Prior to menopause, the female hormones act like a cleanser for the arteries surrounding the heart, keeping them clean. When women approach menopause, they lose those hormones and then all hell breaks loose. (which is why its uncommon to hear of women and heart disease prior to menopause).

The surgery is so common today. Its even better that she works out because if she does have to undergo surgery (which is a worst case scenario, now-a-days they can do stents right in the cath lab) it'll help her recover that much faster.

Its a shitty thing to have to go through and it adds stress onto a situation that needs to be stress free. I hope all is well!! Keep us updated!

You know, it's funny (& I don't mean the ha ha kind) how the tables have turned. When I was a young girl my mom's Ob/Gyn told her that when they were 40ish for her to take as much stress off my father as possible. That he was reaching that age when heart attacks started showing up in men. She was better suited to stand the stress. She was a stay at home mom- but did office work for my father's business. So now ladies--looks like we've earned equal rights.

Free, my 31-year-old wife had a heart attack last November. There are a lot of other things that could cause it... if you want to PM me to talk specifics I would be happy to discuss.

freeandfun1 said:

I'm glad to hear this was discovered early. Many people ignore warnings signs with regard to their health until it's too late. My grandfather had a silent killer at age 42, after he was given a perfect bill of health.

I think the symptoms of heart attacks can be different for women too, at least they were for my ex mother-in-law, she thought she pulled a muscle in her neck, and said she had a strange head ache.

Best wishes to your wife and family, I'm sure everything will be fine, but it's still scary nonetheless.

gop_jeff said:
Free, my 31-year-old wife had a heart attack last November. There are a lot of other things that could cause it... if you want to PM me to talk specifics I would be happy to discuss.

Wow, how awful, and scary. I hope everything is ok now.
I had a serious health scare a few years ago, kinda scarred me onto the right path!

Free I am so sorry to hear the news please tell her to relax and take it easy !
I will keep her in my prayers..

I think the same about health conscience people is it really worth it ?
I know it is, to a degree but my Grandmother is 88 she has smoked since she was 14.
Until about a month ago she has not been in a doctors office in probably 20 yrs.. A month ago she was diagnosed w/ colon cancer.. It has not spread thank God but they plan to remove it in 2 wks..

My point is she never watched what she ate never stopped smoking and they recently did x-rays on her heart and lungs and they are in excellent shape ! Go figure ?? They are also saying if they can remove her tumor she could live another 5 or more yrs before the cancer would come back... We are all happy about this of course but I just think your genetics makes your medical destiny !
Again, best wishes for you two ! She sounds like she has great support from her husband ! :clap:

Free just tell her to take it easy and do what the doctor's tell her to do.

It will be 2 years this december that I got a phone call from the hospital, my father had, had a heart attack. This was a shock he was in excellent health and was not overweight. He was 55 years old. He thought he just had gas all night when he would burp the pain would go away. He ended up having to have quadruple bypass surgery. He came through with flying colors. Thank god. And was back at work 4 weeks after the surgery.

You can jog.

You can lift weights.

You can diet.

You can do aerobics.

But unfortunately you're still stuck with your genes. If someone's family tree has a predisposition for heart problems, there's not a thing you can do about it. My family has a history of high blood pressure and guess what - I have it too.

Genetic research is about the only avenue which may ultimately provide some solutions. Unfortunately it appears highly unlikely that any of us living today will see any benefit from it.

freeandfun1 said:

Sounds like a congenital defect that's just now making itself known. And alot of folks have undiagnosed conduction defects that can lead to sudden cardiac death. Fortunately, your friends problem was found before it became lethal. I wish them the best.

UPDATE:

My wife went for a stress-test today and they stopped it six minutes into the test and had her sent to the hospital emergency room by ambulance. I just returned from the hospital, as she has more tests tonight and then we meet with the cardiologist in the AM.

Thanks for your words of support all. I will keep you posted as I can.

Sometimes it just runs in the family. My boss was telling me how he might need a coronary bypass done this fall because it was growing to big and might aneurysm. He looks fit as a fiddle and is only 36. He said he used to work out but then one day he felt like he strained something. He felt like shit for a week then he went to the doctor and the doctor said thank god he got to him when he did. He had ruptured one of his veins and needed surgery. He said his family has a history of heart problems.

Makes you think. People need Cardio-vascualr exercise, but weightlifting isnt for everyone. People need to know their limit.

Free, I hope everything is going well with your wife. The good news is that they know that something is going wrong with her heart and that they are working to fix it.

Forum List

Back