Healthcare vs. Free Market from a Doc

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by typhoon5ht, May 11, 2011.

1. typhoon5ht

typhoon5ht Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ideally, the free market should drive society towards the best results since those will be more profitable. Well, healthcare works a little differently.

If I get people well faster, I make less money. If I don't get people well, I make less money. But, if I can get people slightly better at a steady rate, they will keep coming back and I will make more money.

This is how healthcare works right now. There is a financial dis-incentive to get people fixed. The incentive is for slow improvement, or maintenance while taking a drug. This path drives a society towards a state where they're a little sick, though not well, and in constant need of some care.

Is that what you see now in America?

2. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Just out of curiosity are you the doctor here or are you quoting someone else?

3. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,114
    I've heard that same type of argument about education.

The free market cannot provide quality education because all they will do is pass students so as to collect tuition.

Well we see private schools producing better students than public because it's the public schools that use social promotion not the private schools.

4. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Hard to believe you're a doctor. But anyway, in a free market aren't you risking losing patients if your not really helping people? Frankly, if you were treating me or somebody in my family, I'd find another doctor. Eventually your reputation would begin to suffer, and your ethics would definitely be in question.

5. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Just goes to show just because you have the education of doctor doesn't mean your exactly smart or understand the free market. Woud you continue to take your car to mechanic that can't seem to get it fixed right?

6. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,557
    There is no free market in the American health care industry.

7. Wonky Pundit

Wonky Pundit USMB's Silent Snowden

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +89
    1. There is no meaningful competition among the major players (insurers, hospitals, and drug companies).

2. The total number of US hospitals and pharmaceutical companies is going down.

3. Items (1) and (2) give a few collusive players full control over a market that has inflexible demand.

4. About 21% of health care spending covers administrative costs, 85% of which goes to private carriers.

5: Drug overmarketing. "Side effects may include headaches, swelling, confusion, anger, extreme poverty, and bankruptcy. If you can't afford your medication, fuck you." :)

8. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    I agree

The scenario the OP posted would fall apart because “Free Markets” work not by force and monopolies like the OP implies. If one Doctor always has sick, semi sick or poor health patients and across the street the Doctor has a reputation for healing you ASAP what doctor will be getting all the business?

That’s like saying a guy that sells spoons that dissolve in anything wet will do just as well, or as in the OPs case better than the Spoon dealer that makes spoons that can last a lifetime….

No wonder so many people hate Free markets, they have lived most their life in a non free market while being told it’s a free market…

9. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    Do you know the number one reason people "have to" take medication?

10. AquaAthena

AquaAthena INTJ/ INFJ

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,342
    Sorry, but clinicians have a higher calling and ambition than the dishonest one you describe. It is called the Hippocratic Oath and doctors spend many thousands of dollars and many years of their lives in education because of their desire to cure people of disease and illness.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2