Have you changed the way you spend your money ....

CA95380

USMB Member
Jul 23, 2008
Central California
...... or do your shopping .... since the economy has 'almost' hit bottom :confused:

The real change that I can say we, (my husband/myself), have made is eating out. We just do not do it as often as we used to.

As far as shopping for groceries ... I really haven't changed much, with the exception of looking for items marked down or on sale, more now than before.

But, for several years now, I have been buying things like paper product's (paper towels, tissues, foil, plastic bags, etc), at the $1.00 Store. I also get some of my cleaning supplies there, and when they have the shampoo/conditioner I like ... I stock up on it!

My GF spends all my money, so I will have to check with her and get back to you.

Mainly I have simply been purchasing less of the things I want (games, movies, CDs) en lieu of the basics, like groceries and trying not to live beyond my means.

My GF spends all my money, so I will have to check with her and get back to you.

GF as as in not wife? You're not married and she's already spending your money? You may want to nip that in the bud.

Nope, I haven't changed anything. I was always a "spend less, save more" kinda person. I haven't had to dip into my savings in over five years, except when I wanted a new computer. Now I'm just saving up for a new car for when I get out of school. Been driving the same one for far too long.

...... or do your shopping .... since the economy has 'almost' hit bottom :confused:

The real change that I can say we, (my husband/myself), have made is eating out. We just do not do it as often as we used to.

As far as shopping for groceries ... I really haven't changed much, with the exception of looking for items marked down or on sale, more now than before.

But, for several years now, I have been buying things like paper product's (paper towels, tissues, foil, plastic bags, etc), at the $1.00 Store. I also get some of my cleaning supplies there, and when they have the shampoo/conditioner I like ... I stock up on it!

Very much so even though I have always been careful with money. But I began to change my spending habits before this latest downturn. Out of concerns for the long term future and because I am part of the former middle class which is now teetering on the edge of the poverty line.

I don't have much resentment for it. Compared to the poor in third world countries I have nothing to complain about. The only real hard part is not being able to afford transportation costs to visit friends and family. I do worry about the future and how much worse it could possibly get.

So that's why I only buy nutritious and low cost staples at the grocery these days. If I have an uncontrollable sweet tooth I bake my own. I don't buy beer or wine anymore but if we have to give up coffee I may end up robbing a bank. ;)

Last edited:
Nope, I haven't changed anything. I was always a "spend less, save more" kinda person. I haven't had to dip into my savings in over five years, except when I wanted a new computer. Now I'm just saving up for a new car for when I get out of school. Been driving the same one for far too long.

You have the right idea, I have never spent a penny I put into savings,, savings,, not the stock market..

I have stopped spending,, except for necessities.. I was just thinking yesterday,, I've probably gone two months now without buying a single solitary thing that says "made in China" ahhhh that feels so good..

Very much so even though I have always been careful with money. But I began to change my spending habits before this latest downturn. Out of concerns for the long term future and because I am part of the former middle class which is now teetering on the edge of the poverty line.

I don't have much resentment for it. Compared to the poor in third world countries I have nothing to complain about. The only real hard part is not being able to afford transportation costs to visit friends and family. I do worry about the future and how much worse it could possibly get.

So that's why I only buy nutritious and low cost staples at the grocery these days. If I have an uncontrollable sweet tooth I bake my own. I don't buy beer or wine anymore but if we have to give up coffee I may end up robbing a bank. ;)

We went through 3 years of being very poor when my husband was laid off a few years ago. I found out a lot of things that saved us money and was gonna write a little pamphlet and try and sell it at bazzars. I know how to make my own laundry detergent for pennies vs dollars. I know how to make my own bisquick for pennies vs dollars. I have all kinds of hints on saving money, now if I could just figure out how to grow a decent vegetable garden....

Having never really been one for living beyond my means (at least since my mid-20's when pretty much everyone is stupid), I haven't changed a whole lot. I still buy things I "want".. Just not with credit. No cash, no new toy. Tho, I'm actually considering quitting smoking, since that IS one of my more stupid 'expenses'. :eusa_whistle:

nope, I haven't changed a thing. In fact, I've been eating out more and buying my daughter books like a mad woman. I think I'm keeping Borders in business all by myself these days.

I pay for everything with cash (debit card really) and I put money into savings everytime I get paid. I don't have trouble paying my bills and if I can't afford something I just don't buy it.

We went through 3 years of being very poor when my husband was laid off a few years ago. I found out a lot of things that saved us money and was gonna write a little pamphlet and try and sell it at bazzars. I know how to make my own laundry detergent for pennies vs dollars. I know how to make my own bisquick for pennies vs dollars. I have all kinds of hints on saving money, now if I could just figure out how to grow a decent vegetable garden....

ok, gimme the skinny on the Laundry detergent!

Have you changed the way you spend your money ....

I never carry anything larger than a nickle.

It helps me think before I do that impulse spending.

Like yesterday, for example.

I was walking down the street and I saw this new Fararri Enzo for sale and I was very tempted to buy it.

Then I thought to myself "Wait a minute. Do I actually have 13,400,000 nickles on me?"

I checked my pockets and then I even checked in the bucket seats of my truck and on the floor and everything.

Sure enough I was still a few buffalos short of the $670,000 list price, so I though: "Ah, to hell with it"

Phew! Now, that was close.

I didn't really like the color, anyway.

Last edited:
My wife and I have been changing the way we spend money pretty much constantly for the last 3 years. First it was save, save, save while planning to hit the road in the fall of '07, then it was a well paying job on the road during the summer of '08 - plenty of dough but no time, now it is looking for work in one of the worst economies in the country - South Florida. Fortunately our needs are few and our savings are holding us up while we look. The garden helps.

-Joe

Forum List

Back