Hauling heavy stuff in your trunk.

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
I haul lots of heavy things, like the 500 lbs of blacktop patch shown. I built a plywood platform and placed it on two plastic milk crates in my trunk. I can easily load and unload heavy things without straining my back by having to lift them out of my deep trunk.
Trunk platform.JPG

Trunk with load.JPG

You must have a big hole to patch.
I manage an apartment building whose driveway and parking lot are in need of constant repair. We're fighting with the city over repaving requirements. Until then we patch it as needed.

Yeah, city ordinances are a blast.
They want us to build a huge catchment structure beneath our parking lot to catch and retain rainwater, despite there being no drainage problems, as the whole drainage system was upgraded in the recent past. It's just a way of giving us grief because we refused to sell them another property that they wanted to tear down to make room for a new municipal building on that site. Getting 'fair market value' doesn't replace the future income from a residential rental property in a choice location. Petty power politics.

I manage an apartment building whose driveway and parking lot are in need of constant repair. We're fighting with the city over repaving requirements. Until then we patch it as needed.

Where'd you find asphalt patch in bags like that?

I haul lots of heavy things, like the 500 lbs of blacktop patch shown. I built a plywood platform and placed it on two plastic milk crates in my trunk. I can easily load and unload heavy things without straining my back by having to lift them out of my deep trunk.
View attachment 697513

View attachment 697514
Get a truck. That Grand Marquis/Crown Vic will do that two, maybe three times more, and its ass will drop out.

Get a truck. That Grand Marquis/Crown Vic will do that two, maybe three times more, and its ass will drop out.
Pictured is my third Grand Marquis. It's my choice as long as they are available. I have driven them since 1998.

1st: 1996 LS. Retired at 465,000 miles.
2nd: 2005 GS. Retired at 420,000 miles.
3rd: 2003 LS. Purchased this spring at 111,000 miles. Likely the last car I will own.

This is the 4th or 5th time I've carried blacktop patch in this car.

I carried firewood in the back and the front seat of my 2005 GS for five or six years. Sometimes so heavy that the 'skid' light came on (at which time I would lighten the load for safety sake). A dozen 120 mile trips loaded with wood each summer. Never had problem with rear suspension or differential gears.

Last edited:
Firewood for one winter (three racks deep) carried inside of my car (several trips of course). 120 miles one way. No damage to car (although quite few wood ticks came along for the ride).
Wood-2020.JPG

Forum List

Back