Hate crimes against "the homeless"

AmyNation

Road Warrior
Aug 6, 2012
Currently stationed at the kitchen table
Bill adds homeless to list of hate crimes

"Albuquerque, will introduce a bill next month to add homeless people to the state Hate Crimes Act. The proposed law means those who attack homeless people would be subject to harsher sentences if caught and convicted. "This sends a message to the general public - people need to have dignity," O'Neill said in an interview. "If we're going to talk about hate crimes, let's talk about the homeless."

:eusa_eh:

Bill adds homeless to list of hate crimes

"Albuquerque, will introduce a bill next month to add homeless people to the state Hate Crimes Act. The proposed law means those who attack homeless people would be subject to harsher sentences if caught and convicted. "This sends a message to the general public - people need to have dignity," O'Neill said in an interview. "If we're going to talk about hate crimes, let's talk about the homeless."

:eusa_eh:

Do you see something wrong with this or right with this? We occasionally read about suburban kids doing terrible things to the homeless on a lark, I am inclined to agree that stiffer penalties are deserved in cases like that.

Crime is crime and by its very nature is fueled by hate. Trying to rationalize it by giving it unique names and special penalties is dumb. The end result of crime is the same regardless of motive. If you're dead you're dead regardless of motive.....

If that's what it takes to get a bunch of young psychopaths charged as adults who would set a man on fire for fun I am all for it. Google "kids set homeless man on fire", it's a damned epidemic. Anyone who would do something like that needs to be locked up for years and years, not just until they turn 18.

Special class designation for anyone is a clear violation of the Constitution and is nothing but another wedge use by the politicians to devide us. It's simple, you don't have EQUAL PROTECTION, when some are more equal than others.

If that's what it takes to get a bunch of young psychopaths charged as adults who would set a man on fire for fun I am all for it. Google "kids set homeless man on fire", it's a damned epidemic. Anyone who would do something like that needs to be locked up for years and years, not just until they turn 18.

Nope, they deserve the exact same fate.

Crazy. All crimes are hate crimes, even those done in a moment of passion.

Why do only select groups get hate crime legislature?

Is there special "hate crime" legislature for:

Women?
Brunettes?
Fat people?
Skinny people?
Teachers?
Bus Drivers?
Comedians?
Fathers?
Sisters?
Mothers?
Brothers?
Mother-in-Laws?
Acne faced teens?
People with speech impediments?
Gingers with freckles?

What is wrong with using the existing laws for these crimes? Get the legislature to change the laws to be harsher if warranted but no to special hate crime laws for only certain subsets of society.

Women?
Brunettes?
Fat people?
Skinny people?
Teachers?
Bus Drivers?
Comedians?
Fathers?
Sisters?
Mothers?
Brothers?
Mother-in-Laws?
Acne faced teens?
Gingers with freckles?

Your avatar is indeed dreamy.....

Sigh..

How do you figure? Do you not think setting a sleeping defenseless human being on fire to be a little more serious than a couple of years in juvie at the most? You probably see it as industrious young conservatives preforming a public service.

How do you figure? Do you not think setting a sleeping defenseless human being on fire to be a little more serious than a couple of years in juvie at the most? You probably see it as industrious young conservatives preforming a public service.

You don't always have to be a dick.

So I can't yell at these bums who stand at the exits of Interstates at a traffic light holding "Homeless and Hungry" signs to get a job? That's not a hate crime in my book; that's a suggestion, which they refuse if you offer them a job, btw.

Women?
Brunettes?
Fat people?
Skinny people?
Teachers?
Bus Drivers?
Comedians?
Fathers?
Sisters?
Mothers?
Brothers?
Mother-in-Laws?
Acne faced teens?
Gingers with freckles?

Your avatar is indeed dreamy.....

Sigh..

Thanks! Merry Christmas Grampa. :eusa_angel:

What is wrong with using the existing laws for these crimes? Get the legislature to change the laws to be harsher if warranted but no to special hate crime laws for only certain subsets of society.

We have all kinds of laws that jack up the penalties if the crime involves children under a certain age, you have no problem protecting especially vulnerable people in that way, I assume.

Yeah, I pretty much do to those who make a habit out of it themselves.

So I can't yell at these bums who stand at the exits of Interstates at a traffic light holding "Homeless and Hungry" signs to get a job? That's not a hate crime in my book; that's a suggestion, which they refuse if you offer them a job, btw.

I saw some in a NH border town where they actually appear to work in shifts. Different "homeless sign carriers" at the traffic island at different times.

I am pretty sure people can yell just not physically abuse others, not just the homeless. I want to know what is the difference in the crime between me, a woman with a home getting assaulted and a homeless man getting assaulted?

Yeah, I pretty much do to those who make a habit out of it themselves.

Hadn't noticed that. I'm not on all that much anymore. Kinda for the reason you described. Too many loons

We have all kinds of laws that jack up the penalties if the crime involves children under a certain age, you have no problem protecting especially vulnerable people in that way, I assume.

I understand your point and I do want to see children and elderly protected but being homeless is a choice in this country. We have shelters and a network in place to aid those who hit hard times. If I choose to take on a lifestyle that makes me more vulnerable to crime when there are alternatives that would keep me safer, whose fault is this?

Should prostitutes have special "hate crime" legislature for them?

Forum List

Back