Has Western Civilization Died?

Discussion in 'History' started by Madeline, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Okay, not really, but I was at the county library today to pick up a copy of Sinclair Lewis' "Elmer Gantry" and they had none. Not one copy of any book by Lewis. Nor did the city library branch near my house...the librarian had to order it for me from the state-wide system.

They have the collected works of Danielle Steele, but nothing by Sinclair Lewis? Last month I wanted a biography of Joe McCarthy and not only did my branch not have one, none could be had even from the state-wide system. I don't mean just the title I wanted; there was no copy of any biography of Joe McCarthy anywhere in the Ohio state system. I had to buy it (and may donate it when I have finished reading it). The month before that, I discovered the library does not stock any of Aanis Nin's works.

I ♥ my library but really, this trend (if it is one; could just be I'm hitting some gaps in acquisition that weren't planned) disturbs me. IMO, reading anything -- even a Harrlequin romance -- is good, but there should be at least some shelf space allocated to better literature. It seems their policy might be more akin to acquiring new popular literature and -- dumping? -- fine older works.

There's an apparent gap in the non-fiction section as well, though I cannot give you chapter and verse. I just know non-fiction gets about 1/10th the shelf space of fiction and that the acquisition of important new works is spotty at best.

I know I should be grateful I have a library of any kind, and I am. But after all the platitudes, I am concerned that the modern appetite for books is being fed mostly beach trash reading, and so little effort is made to even make better work available.

What say you?

[​IMG]

2. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Unfortunately, most library users can't cope with big words and complex thoughts. So they stick with Danielle Steel and call that 'reading'.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    You're in Cleveland? I'm in a suburb and doing a search for Sinclair Lewis brought forth 2 pages of hits:

Wheaton Public Library /All Locations

Anis Nin brought in 37 hits, alas top one being a cookbook. :lol:

As for Western Civilization? Interesting that you mentioned, it's been over a decade since I took it as a course, so wanted to review. Doing so with course from Notre Dame, also checked out of local library:

Wheaton Public Library /MOVIES

video, with book and notes. 4 Volumes.

4. L.K.Eder

L.K.Eder unbannable non-troll

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,810
    sadly, i have no room to talk.

i read complete tripe.

on this board.

5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
  6. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    I'm in Old Brooklyn, Annie. I wonder why your city-suburb ain't part of the state-wide system? Prolly to keep us poor west siders from grubbing up your books, LOL. BTW, I give up -- my Google-Fu failed me. Where's Wheaton? South of Cleveland?

7. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    I covet an iPad, editec. I nearly bought one this summer; I was replacing the pc and mentioned to my brother that I was considering going with an iPad. He blew a gasket and ran out and bought me a desk top, convinced if I had anything portable I would drop it and break on Day One. The man is a tad over-protective, he he he.

Since then I have frittered my money away; mebbe next spring. I'll tell ya this, none of those offers to get one for free in exchange for taking a survey seems to pay off, LOL.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Suburb of Chicago. We don't have a state-wide library system, that I'm aware of. We are part of a area wide system.

L2 [Library Learning] DuPage Library System

9. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    O LOL. Explains why "wheaton ohio" brought back zero results!

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Your location says Cleveland, which is why I was shocked by your results. I think I'd go mad without decent library.