Has the obama stimulus worked?

Has the obama stimulus worked?

• Total voters
yes or no

Frankly, friend, we'll never, ever know. Never.

The economy has improved since the recovery act, but we'll never know if it would be better or worse without it.

My opinion? It's certainly helped. Had another candidate won, we might be doing a little better, a little worse, or about the same.

Depends upon how you mean "worked".

Stimulated the economy....No.

Paid off a bunch of Democrat Party loyalist butt boys?....Yes.

Dude, I know your DNA is hardwired to hate me BUT...

Stimulus aside: Do you believe the economy has not improved in the last year?

yes or no

Frankly, friend, we'll never, ever know. Never.

The economy has improved since the recovery act, but we'll never know if it would be better or worse without it.

My opinion? It's certainly helped. Had another candidate won, we might be doing a little better, a little worse, or about the same.

A well thought out rational answer!!! :clap2:

I don't hate anyone and claiming that the succubus bill improved the economy, based upon no more evidence than that the economy is marginally better, is a little logical fallacy known as post hoc ergo propter hoc.

I don't hate anyone and claiming that the succubus bill improved the economy, based upon no more evidence than that the economy is marginally better, is a little logical fallacy known as post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Well amigo, brace yourself, we might agree on something. Government stimuluses "work" in only one way - By showing people the government is behind the economy, hence training their belief that the stimulus is "working."

The economy is a funny thing. When everyone thinks it's fixed, poof, it is fixed.

Sure, the recovery bill may have kept a few people employed that wouldn't have been otherwise, and kept banks and some other firms solvent who probably didn't deserve to stay solvent, but that's shadowed by a natural business cycle that takes place which may be hastened by changed perceptions.

So "Did it work? (more like "is it working") If you think it did, than it did. If you think it didn't, than it didn't.

Since gubmint produces nothing of added value for the economy, the only way they can "create" a job is to take money from the already productive.

You don't employ people and create more overall value on one hand by throwing others out of work with the other.

do you think the supply curve is perfectly vertical? just asking.

Since gubmint produces nothing of added value for the economy, the only way they can "create" a job is to take money from the already productive.

You don't employ people and create more overall value on one hand by throwing others out of work with the other.

I don't believe in alchemy.

You need to phrase the question so that folks can understand you better.

And no, that is not what he is saying.

What he is referring to is the demand curve. And his argument is that even though the stimulus is supposed to move the demand curve to the left, the damage done by higher taxes and substitution effects moves it further to the right than the increased money supply moved it to the left. It is a best a wash, but the real net effect is negative.

That and I don't necessarily hold with the about 95% of economic theory, that tries to boil subjective and irrational people into nice neat charts and graphs.

Sooooo much of it is based upon the completely silly qualifier of "everything else being equal", which it never ever is.

Regardless of any short term "benefits" that the "stimulus" may produce, it represents a significant negative to the long term economic health of the nation. You can't keep spending money you don't have to keep attempting to "fix" an economy that is continually degraded by such bone headed central planning as exemplified by the so called "stimulus".

The economy needs politicians to leave it alone so it can heal itself, not continue jumping up and down on it's chest.

Do we really need to ask the question?

It was obvious from the start what it was, old time pet projects, perks for supporters and shorterm bailouts of states who can't balance budgets.

Another partisan poll that is divided by partisan lines. Another day at USMB. Big surprise. :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back