Has pepper spray replaced guns as THE CHOICE for home defense?

I'm something of a gun nut but there is a big big problem with them and that is ear damage. Everybody uses ear protection at the shooting range and even while hunting you can use electronic ear muffs that block loud noises while amplifying soft ones. But shooting even an ordinary handgun like a 45 auto or a 357 mag in your house just once without protection will likely cause significant and permanent ear damage .

The pepper spray business is now a big industry and there are many choices both as canisters or guns with prices from $5 up to $500. But in general they are much cheaper than guns. If you're worried about breathing in the spray yourself, you can buy pepper gel or foam. Pepper guns also have no recoil and so are easier to shoot for women and old people. And there is no risk of a bullet going thru a wall and killing an innocent.
Pepper spray won't rip the guts out of a thug like a .44 Magnum. That's why I wouldn't use it solely for defense.

I agree, pepper spray is only useful as a quick acting method, ie. if you needed to run away, pepper spray in face would give you an opportunity to run, but it's in no way an adequate defence method.
In Germany pepper spray is illegal but my nieces carry it anyhow. I told them if they ever have to use it to spray, run and scream loudly. I advised them to carry single edge razor blades to cut across the belly to spill an attackers guts on the ground.

In Austria, our Patriots have been handing Pepper Spray to people for free....of course we're well-armed, to buy shotgun you only need Hunting Permit.

Yes the razor blades are good too, anything is okay for self-defence against a potential savage.

It is hard to carry a shotgun on your belt though.....

We have revolvers also, mine are all Glocks, which have been favourite with my family, we also have our loyalist friends Rottweilers, Doberman Pinscher, Schäferhund....all very loyal to the owner and actually all very loving dogs, but if they sense owner is in danger they'll instantly do much damage.

But shooting even an ordinary handgun like a 45 auto or a 357 mag in your house just once without protection will likely cause significant and permanent ear damage .

I am not a psychologist - so I can't explain why.

In the past, when shooting a deer while deer hunting, there have been times ; I have heard the shot go off - but it did not hurt my ears. No ear ringing, no concussion from the "muzzle blast" like target shooting.

Deer Hunting. You are cold, shivering slightly in the early November morning just as the sun rises. A deer appears, a nice Buck. Once you shoot it....... your ears are not ringing, the "blast" did not injure your ears and for some unexplained reason...... you are not cold and shivering anymore. Don't ask me why, but it is true, and I have experienced it quite a few times.

I have read many stories about Police Officer involved shootings, where the officer did not hear the gun he was shooting go off. He experienced tunnel vision and time seemed to move as in "Slow Motion." I believe those stories.....each and every one I have read.

Shadow 355
I have experienced the same thing. You just don't notice the blast; you are too focused. But discharge a firearm indoors and you will notice it. Maybe you won't notice in the heat of the moment if you are in a self defense situation. But you will notice it later. That being said, I will accept that risk and stay with a firearm over pepper spray.

Why pick and choose? Why not have both the pepper spray and the firearm at the ready? Then, If you think you can control the situation with only the pepper spray, you have the gun for a backup.

I have had pepper spray cans go bad on me. Especially if they sit in a hot car all summer.

For me personally, I will take the risk of some temporary or even permanent hearing loss over a self imposed limit on my ability to defend my home on any given day.

Why pick and choose? Why not have both the pepper spray and the firearm at the ready? Then, If you think you can control the situation with only the pepper spray, you have the gun for a backup.

So you have pepper spray in one hand and a gun in the other. How you gonna open doors or turn on lights or hold onto a bannister?

So you have pepper spray in one hand and a gun in the other. How you gonna open doors or turn on lights or hold onto a bannister?

If I am at the point where I have one in each hand and I need to free up a hand. . . guess which one (pepper spray or gun) I'm going to stick back in my pocket or toss to the floor.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back