Has Anyone Here Drank Absinthe?

Swagger

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2011
Up on the scaffold
My brother's just phoned to tell me that he's brought a bottle back from Europe to drink when he visits next Friday. I strongly suspect that he's hoping that I suffer from some of the adverse effects it's known to induce (such as mild hallucinations), film it and circulate the potentially embarrassing footage among friends and family. But I'm rather intrigued by this peculiar spirit. I've been told that it's unpredictable stuff, and you're supposed to pour it into the glass through a specially shaped spoon. But apart from that I'm none the wiser.

Anyone here have any experience with this stuff?

I think its legal now.

its just strong boooze and not really hallucinagentic

Ive had the American version many times

Absinthe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Effects

Edouard Manet, The Absinthe Drinker, 1859
Absinthe has been frequently and improperly described in modern times as being hallucinogenic. This is at least partly rooted in the fact that following some ten years of experiments with wormwood oil in the 19th century, the French psychiatrist Valentin Magnan studied 250 cases of alcoholism, and claimed that those who drank absinthe were worse off than those drinking ordinary alcohol, having experienced rapid-onset hallucinations.[65] Such accounts by opponents of absinthe (like Magnan) were cheerfully embraced by famous absinthe drinkers, many of whom were bohemian artists or writers.[66]

Two famous artists who helped popularize the notion that absinthe had powerful psychoactive properties were Toulouse Lautrec and Vincent van Gogh. In one of the best-known written accounts of absinthe drinking, an inebriated Oscar Wilde described a phantom sensation of having tulips brush against his legs after leaving a bar at closing time.[67] Today it is known that absinthe does not cause hallucinations.[68] Thujone, once widely believed to be an active chemical in absinthe, is a GABA antagonist; and while it can produce muscle spasms in large doses, there is no direct evidence to suggests it causes hallucinations.[68] It has been speculated that reports of hallucinogenic effects of absinthe were most likely due to poisonous adulterants being added to cheaper versions of the drink in the 19th century.[69]

i have some in the freezer....it sucks....if i want to trip i will buy 'srooms...even puking they are better than that liquor

Agreed.

Besides, the reason you have to pour it on a special spoon is because that spoon has to contain a sugar cube to overcome the biterness of the wormwood.

My brother's just phoned to tell me that he's brought a bottle back from Europe to drink when he visits next Friday. I strongly suspect that he's hoping that I suffer from some of the adverse effects it's known to induce (such as mild hallucinations), film it and circulate the potentially embarrassing footage among friends and family. But I'm rather intrigued by this peculiar spirit. I've been told that it's unpredictable stuff, and you're supposed to pour it into the glass through a specially shaped spoon. But apart from that I'm none the wiser.

Anyone here have any experience with this stuff?

Never. No plan to. I still haven't lived down the truffle oil potato salad.

If one like Ouzo?

I don't like Ouzo..but this is far worse. It's like drinking Ouzo with a sharp chemical aftertaste.

Not my cup of tea..for sure.

Can you remember which country the stuff you drank came from?

I've had it several times. The last time was in the Czech Republic..and I swore off the stuff. It was horrible..and I had a terrible hang over the next day. Although the waitress serving it was stunning. She was a beauty.

Forum List

Back