Harvard law professor wants to ban home schooling "it's dangerous to society and children".

She is right of course, beats growing up to be a religious freak. Also no more private schools, if we took care of the Public Schools more, they would be great.

Your take on home schools is why I gave you the name Penny Jackboots.

And boy, does it fit.

Homeschooling should not be outlawed, to be clear. This professor is an idiot but to be honest, many are.

If you know any teachers, most of you, tell them all about "brainwashing" kids. And watch them laugh. Like we have any time for brainwashing between teaching actual content and dodging blows brought on by the very real behavioral problems in schools now

Sue, your contribution to this thread has been informative. Thanks. As an instructor who teaches adults only, I don't have the insight you do. My clients come into my classroom fully formed in outlook and opinion. I admit I've fallen into the "liberal indoctrination centers" opinion of public schools--not from talking to teachers but from what comes out of the mouths of kids who have been through the system. There definitely appears to be a left-leaning trend.

Here's another side of the coin opposing the Harvard "professor's" view. I'd be interested in your take on it as I'm sure others here would. Once again, thanks for your view from inside the system.

Children do not belong to the State. They are not "our" children--"our" meaning public schools. Now, I do live in the community I teach, so in a sense I feel they are "my" children in that they are the children of my town--but that's a different story than "gov't children". They are my neighbors.

Parents have ultimate authority over their children and are best placed to make decisions for them. However. I am a conservative, not a libertarian. So, I do think the community needs oversight. If children are being abused or neglected, they are often powerless to be protected. The community needs to step in. The often happens at school.

What is ACTUALLY happening at school, however, is not what you think.

We are not wanting to take over more "indoctrination"--we wish we could to LESS raising of children and more teaching. But teaching is overwhelming these days. I have been teaching for 25 years. I don't just teach--I am a teacher. I can't imagine doing anything else with my life. But man. It's an almost impossible job now.

Kids come into schools with needs you would not believe. I could write a dozen posts in the Education section and it wouldn't be enough. So when kids enter Kind, we are not ready to teach anything even close to "academic" skills. We are teaching life skills. Hang up your coat. Pick up food you dropped. Don't hit. Manage your emotions.

Sometimes for the entire year.

You can call that "indoctrination" but if it doesn't get taught, guess what? No one learns their letters. That's not our choice. That's human neuro-psychology. That's brain development.

So this is what we're dealing with and while at it, we are being criticized in all directions. Fun, yes? I'm not looking to be a hero here. But we are looking at the wreckage OF SOCIETY---yes, it's society's problem, the breakdown of the family and all kinds of other problems--and we are being asked to address this AT SCHOOL. We are being asked to raise children AT SCHOOL. Needless to say, we are not equipped for this.

So again: the stuff we get criticized here for is really tone-deaf, at least at my level. We don't have any kind of time to teach Kinders about transgenders. We're trying to get them to not poop their pants. Or destroy the room. Or hit each other. Or sit still for three minutes.

They should have more home schooling. They usually do better than those schooled by government union teachers. We should stop sending federal aid to education. It does nothing but inflate the price. The time is soon coming when we won't be able to afford education, at least at the ridiculously high price we have today. Government unions and federal aid are to blame for the astronomical costs of education.

Wow! You must think "government" teachers get paid well? Hint: They do not.

Some are. Offhand, six figures is nothing remarkable for a teacher in Chicago. (They now start out at ~$58K.)

Chicago - which is one of the most expensive places for people to live?

You realize that teachers in Chicago often commute from the suburbs adding hours and expenses to their day?

No, they don't. (Directly from a Chicago teacher, they must live in the city.)

A fellow teacher and I commuted 50 miles to teach in an inner city school for 3 years. They paid less than $60K, but were the only jobs for teachers dumb enough to take them. Budget cuts eliminated positions at all of our local schools that our kids attended.

Irrelevant distraction.

"I had/or know someone who had, a terrible experience in school, therefore, all public schools in this entire huge nation really suck"

Logical

During the Coronavirus crisis, many people who have never even considered homeschooling have been thrust into the practice.

Your a mental nut first off beeeeech.
Now you know why we have " liberal universities" or why we have leftist filtered so heavily thorough out our most needed systems from medicals..
Most are democratic pricks now imagine your lifeo n the line with one of these mental nnuts who found out you support Trump lol.

The only reason this control freak says htis is because they can't brainwash your kids you morons!!! They can't get them to hate You and not them.
Incase you can't figure it out they have you send your kids off as early as they can so they can INDOCTRINATE THE FK OUT OF THEM giving worse products each generation. The democrats today are tomorrows Hitlers. and Stalins Democratic whores never see this nor their control of ppl illness.

If more leftist tards had a brain they wouldn't hate Trump and you all do because you PARROT those feelings weak minds are easy to bait.

If only demonic twats knew why they are so dam dumb.

“The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America — A Chronological Paper Trail”, will change forever the way you look at your child’s education. Written by whistleblower Charlotte T. Iserbyt, it is the result of what she discovered while working in the US Department of Education and her subsequent research on the subject. First published in 1999, the original edition of the book contains 743 pages replete with documentation of the policies, conversations and events that led up to the way our educational system is run today.

“Exposing the Global Road to Ruin Through Education” is an 8-DVD/CD Set containing speeches and round tables featuring Charlotte Iserbyt with some of the country’s foremost education researchers. It covers everything from one teacher’s experiences in the globally-controlled classroom, to a speech by Rosa Koire, author of “Behind the Green Mask”. Koire spoke on the dangers of regionalism. Regionalism is the path to globalism, and an attempt to replace local control and influence every aspect of our lives.
Predictions made in this book — “Back to Basics Reform or OBE Skinnerian International Curriculum” — published in 1985, 1993, and 2004, have come true. The book — which spells out clearly how OBE, Goals 2000, No Child Left Behind, and School-to-Work would be implemented — was boycotted by major conservative organizations. Read it and ask yourself “Why?” The book has sold 50,000 copies to grassroots organizations.
“Soviets in the Classroom” — first published in 1989 — is an important piece of work which outlines the agreements made between our government and the Soviets with regard to education. Included is a timeline starting from the 1930s on, which lists important events related to this transformation.
----------------------------------------

and you wonder why your so easy

Wolf Administration is Caught Adding Up to 269 Fake Coronavirus Deaths to State Totals the Day After Anti-Lockdown Protests in Pennsylvania
Home schooling is a threat to the lib public education monopoly

it prevents liberals from brainwashing children in the public schools

How can there be a monopoly if private and home schooling are options?
90% or more qualifies as a monopoly

Well, since it is less than 90%, I guess it does not meet your definition. Also, is that not by choice?
Well gosh.

I used 90% off the top of my head

so just for my own information I decided to see how far I was off

according to the far leftwing government school loving Huffington Post I was exactly right

If that is true, homeschooling and private schools are becoming less popular than before. How do you explain that?
I dont know if thats true or not

But I have heard that public school teachers are really keen to get their kids in private school

Not in my district.

Most of the parents who teach in my district school of choice their kids where we teach

Like many of you I have been aware of the public school agenda for some time. Long story short it is designed to result in the insane Antifa nitwits we saw a few months ago doing all kinds of illegal activity while cops stood down. Public schools are not designed to present facts.

Harvard law professor wants to ban home schooling "it's dangerous to society and children".
Let's be clear the real story here:
  1. Home-schooled kids actually learn and test better than the hideous government-run public schools where they are subjected to bullying, metal detectors, school lunches, germs, and social indoctrination. Parents actually have a hand at guiding the learning of their children to learn the values and things THEY set for them. And it takes both the government and the teacher's union out of the loop.
  2. By extension, if you can learn grade school at home, then why not college material? With the exception of certain materials like labs and other equipment only an institution can provide, most of college can be done at home with books and on-line reading, making places like Harvard increasingly obsolete, fat and bloated.
That is what these universities and professors really fear-- -- no longer getting a fellowship to stay on and teach a cushy campus job but to have to actually go out into the real world and get a job.

The world isn't all about testing.

Homeschooled kids have trouble making friends and have trouble having conversations with other kids their age. They have difficulty taking other kids ideas into consideration and don't know how to explain their opinions to others. Homeschooled kids don't learn how to socialize as human beings.

A good friend of mine's wife insisted on homeschooling her kids. Her children grew up without any real friends and when you tried to hold a conversation with them it was like talking to a wall. They are all still living at home because they were never made to work or do anything on their own.
Do you want to take a guess as to why you are wrong about this?

Let me give you a hint.

When you went to school, did you make friends with everyone, or did you have a small circle of friends that you pretty much hung out with exclusively?

This assumes you weren't shunned and bullied (a very common occurrence in public indoctrination centers)

1. Home-schooled kids actually learn and test better than the hideous government-run public schools where they are subjected to bullying, metal detectors, school lunches, germs, and social indoctrination. Parents actually have a hand at guiding the learning of their children to learn the values and things THEY set for them. And it takes both the government and the teacher's union out of the loop.
  2. By extension, if you can learn grade school at home, then why not college material? With the exception of certain materials like labs and other equipment only an institution can provide, most of college can be done at home with books and on-line reading, making places like Harvard increasingly obsolete, fat and bloated.
That is what these universities and professors really fear-- -- no longer getting a fellowship to stay on and teach a cushy campus job but to have to actually go out into the real world and get a job.
The point of our public schools is not to teach our kids about anything other than leftwing propaganda and to stop thinking rationally and merely trust their leadership instead.

Public Education needs to be broken up with a voucher system and everything converted to privatized educational schools.

"Tolerance for other people's viewpoints" in this case equals tolerance for politically-sanctioned viewpoints.

Elizabeth Bartholet, faculty director of Harvard Law School’s Child Advocacy Program, told the magazine that homeschooling deprives children of their right to a "meaningful education." She cites no law that requires a child to receive a "meaningful" education (because there is no such law in the U.S.) but defines it thusly: "But it’s also important that children grow up exposed to community values, social values, democratic values, ideas about nondiscrimination and tolerance of other people’s viewpoints." (Nothing about reading, writing, and 'rithmetic in her formula, it ought to be noted.)

Harvard Law Prof Calls for Ban on Homeschooling, Saying It's 'Dangerous' to Leave Children with Their Parents 24/7
/——/ My wife is a retired teacher. She tutors our grandkids everyday via FaceTime. They are all doing great.

Homeschooled kids have trouble making friends and have trouble having conversations with other kids their age. They have difficulty taking other kids ideas into consideration and don't know how to explain their opinions to others. Homeschooled kids don't learn how to socialize as human beings.

A good friend of mine's wife insisted on homeschooling her kids. Her children grew up without any real friends and when you tried to hold a conversation with them it was like talking to a wall. They are all still living at home because they were never made to work or do anything on their own.

They do need to interact with other kids but that can be accomplished through other means like sports for example.

Well yea kinda like feeding can be done through means other than consuming by mouth but are they really as good?

And yea if homeschooled parents would enroll their kids in other activities it could mitgate some of the issues but school teaches kids to work together to achieve common goals. Not much else in a childs life would teach them to do that. One of the most important things schools do in that realm is when they divide kids up into groups for class assignments. Homeschooled kids don't get that important life lesson. I learned a whole lot from those kinds of things.

It's not all about test grades. Because after school ends you don't get tested anymore. Then real life happens.

There are pluses and minuses with both.
Having your kid indoctrinated is the worst of the two.

Yes, private schools are far better than public but ANY school is better than home schooling in most cases.

I went to a public school all my life. I graduated high school, went to college, got two degrees and multiple licenses and am financially stable having owned my house and vehicles and boats outright since my 30th birthday. Nobody indoctrinated me. They educated me.
Private schools appear to be better because in most cases the kids have the support of TWO parents. Losers think that the words education and indoctrination are interchangeable. They are not. Will the home schooled kids get their "indoctrination" from Rush Limbaugh and FOX news? They`ll likely end up on welfare in a trailer park.

Do you want to take a guess as to why you are wrong about this?

Let me give you a hint.

When you went to school, did you make friends with everyone, or did you have a small circle of friends that you pretty much hung out with exclusively?

This assumes you weren't shunned and bullied (a very common occurrence in public indoctrination centers)

It's amazing that I can type all the reason the schools are NOT indoctrination centers but the talking points are just too easy.

During the Coronavirus crisis, many people who have never even considered homeschooling have been thrust into the practice.

Now you know why we have " liberal universities" or why we have leftist filtered so heavily thorough out our most needed systems from medicals..
Most are democratic pricks now imagine your lifeo n the line with one of these mental nnuts who found out you support Trump lol.

The only reason this control freak says htis is because they can't brainwash your kids you morons!!! They can't get them to hate You and not them.
Incase you can't figure it out they have you send your kids off as early as they can so they can INDOCTRINATE THE FK OUT OF THEM giving worse products each generation. The democrats today are tomorrows Hitlers. and Stalins Democratic whores never see this nor their control of ppl illness.

If more leftist tards had a brain they wouldn't hate Trump and you all do because you PARROT those feelings weak minds are easy to bait.

“The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America — A Chronological Paper Trail”, will change forever the way you look at your child’s education. Written by whistleblower Charlotte T. Iserbyt, it is the result of what she discovered while working in the US Department of Education and her subsequent research on the subject. First published in 1999, the original edition of the book contains 743 pages replete with documentation of the policies, conversations and events that led up to the way our educational system is run today.

“Exposing the Global Road to Ruin Through Education” is an 8-DVD/CD Set containing speeches and round tables featuring Charlotte Iserbyt with some of the country’s foremost education researchers. It covers everything from one teacher’s experiences in the globally-controlled classroom, to a speech by Rosa Koire, author of “Behind the Green Mask”. Koire spoke on the dangers of regionalism. Regionalism is the path to globalism, and an attempt to replace local control and influence every aspect of our lives.
Predictions made in this book — “Back to Basics Reform or OBE Skinnerian International Curriculum” — published in 1985, 1993, and 2004, have come true. The book — which spells out clearly how OBE, Goals 2000, No Child Left Behind, and School-to-Work would be implemented — was boycotted by major conservative organizations. Read it and ask yourself “Why?” The book has sold 50,000 copies to grassroots organizations.
“Soviets in the Classroom” — first published in 1989 — is an important piece of work which outlines the agreements made between our government and the Soviets with regard to education. Included is a timeline starting from the 1930s on, which lists important events related to this transformation.

Wolf Administration is Caught Adding Up to 269 Fake Coronavirus Deaths to State Totals the Day After Anti-Lockdown Protests in Pennsylvania

Well, since it is less than 90%, I guess it does not meet your definition. Also, is that not by choice?
Well gosh.

according to the far leftwing government school loving Huffington Post I was exactly right

If that is true, homeschooling and private schools are becoming less popular than before. How do you explain that?

But I have heard that public school teachers are really keen to get their kids in private school

Most of the time it is because of the demons that infest the schools, making learning impossible.
Lib public schools, lib demons

Not lib schools, but any school. I had a great high school in Florida, but my youngest would ask me every day, "How many got arrested today, Daddy?"

The problem was the state's attorney that refused to prosecute the little bastards.

Well gosh.

Not in my district.

Most of the parents who teach in my district school of choice their kids where we teach

My two oldest kids and daughter-in-law attended the high school where I taught. Mt youngest went to the middle school I had attended as a junior high. All but the oldest were in ROTC and joined the military. My oldest was a band student and married a sailor out of high school.

Well gosh.

Most of the time it is because of the demons that infest the schools, making learning impossible.

Not lib schools, but any school. I had a great high school in Florida, but my youngest would ask me every day, "How many got arrested today, Daddy?"

The problem was the state's attorney that refused to prosecute the little bastards.
I concede thers are some good teachers in public schools

but the system is broken as well as being slanted to the left

charter schools were are a little better

my cousin’s husband taught in the Duncanville public schools

he was ready to walk away because some days he had to retreat to a janitors closet to calm down and regain his composure

but then he was transferred to a charter school where it was just enough better for him to stand it till he retired

there are many stories like that all over America

Last edited:

Well gosh.

he was ready to walk away because some days he had to retreat to a janitors closet to calm down and regain his composer

but then he was transferred to a charter school where it was just enough better for him to stand it till he retired

So why shouldn't the converse be true? I taught in a rural school here in KY that never had a student fight all year! Not one!

Well gosh.

he was ready to walk away because some days he had to retreat to a janitors closet to calm down and regain his composer

So why shouldn't the converse be true? I taught in a rural school here in KY that never had a student fight all year! Not one!

Wow. Were they handing out Thorazine and saltpeter dosing every morning? :auiqs.jpg:

Well gosh.

Neither of us can sit here and judge every individual school in America

thats why I support school choice where the education dollars follow the students where they and their parents decide to go

Well gosh.

Wow. Were they handing out Thorazine and saltpeter dosing every morning? :auiqs.jpg:

No, but I am sure that was a regimen in your school for you.

Well gosh.

thats why I support school choice where the education dollars follow the students where they and their parents decide to go

Why should the parents get to decide? Most of them are morons anyway.

Well gosh.

Why should the parents get to decide? Most of them are morons anyway.
Yeah sure

the kids belong to you and the other public teachers not the parents

Well gosh.

No, but I am sure that was a regimen in your school for you.

Nope. We had black-robed nuns wielding hickory sticks. In retrospect, it was like school run by many Darth Vader clones.

Forum List

Back