HARD RIGHT TURN: How The GOP Destroyed Its Moderates

ROFL!!This must be this week's liberal CLOWN thread. Less than 21% of the population claim to be liberal.. of that, less than half you far left KOOKS who post here which makes you just at 10% of the population and you post a thread like this????????????????? OMG.. The liberal CIRCUS hour..

I think these whackjob liberals believe that just because they come on a forum and blabber lies all over the place that somehow that makes people believe there's more of them than there really are..

I have a problem with those figures. It's been my observation that conservatives are clear and proud to self-identify as conservatives. But I think that there are many liberals who consider themselves absolutely mainstream, and therefore don't self-identify in those studies as liberals, including those who lean WAY the hell left. Why that is, I couldn't tell you.

So my guess is that more than 21% of the populace is liberal, I'd toss out maybe 30%, 35%. Roughly the same amount conservative, the rest indy.

Wild-ass guess.

Oh really?? Then that would make you WILD ASS WRONG.. Kinda like your liberal mascot, AN ASS..Poll: U.S. conservative on economics - MJ Lee - POLITICO.com

Conservatives Remain the Largest Ideological Group in U.S.

PRINCETON, NJ -- Political ideology in the U.S. held steady in 2011, with 40% of Americans continuing to describe their views as conservative, and 21% as liberal.

ROFL!!This must be this week's liberal CLOWN thread. Less than 21% of the population claim to be liberal.. of that, less than half you far left KOOKS who post here which makes you just at 10% of the population and you post a thread like this????????????????? OMG.. The liberal CIRCUS hour..

I think these whackjob liberals believe that just because they come on a forum and blabber lies all over the place that somehow that makes people believe there's more of them than there really are..

I have a problem with those figures. It's been my observation that conservatives are clear and proud to self-identify as conservatives. But I think that there are many liberals who consider themselves absolutely mainstream, and therefore don't self-identify in those studies as liberals, including those who lean WAY the hell left. Why that is, I couldn't tell you.

So my guess is that more than 21% of the populace is liberal, I'd toss out maybe 30%, 35%. Roughly the same amount conservative, the rest indy.

Wild-ass guess.

Oh really?? Then that would make you WILD ASS WRONG.. Kinda like your liberal mascot, AN ASS..Poll: U.S. conservative on economics - MJ Lee - POLITICO.com

PRINCETON, NJ -- Political ideology in the U.S. held steady in 2011, with 40% of Americans continuing to describe their views as conservative, and 21% as liberal.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Another DUMB liberal spewing crap he knows NOTHING about!

Now I'm a liberal.

This place is a hoot.

Wild-ass guess.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Another DUMB liberal spewing crap he knows NOTHING about!

Now I'm a liberal.

This place is a hoot.

Normally people who post the propaganda JUNK you just did, are liberals and are easily proven wrong.. That's why I'm assuming you're a liberal.. if you're not- stop projecting and making crap up like the typical liberal does.

Sadly, they know if they repeat the same old story line long enough the lemmings will believe. What they can't stand is that they have swung so far left that they have left most thinking people far to their right. Thus they must invent the story line that it was the right that moved, not themselves. Disingenuous as hell but that is what we get from the liberal left these days.

Come on, Freewill, that is just silly and you know it.

The US has no tradition of far left politicics, not now nor at any time in your past. There really is no far left in the US, and that is very evident in policies.

The Tea Party are, by any objective standard, one of the more right wing groups in the developed world.

Of course you agree... you're both ridiculously partisan. Anyone who disagrees with the messiah is 'far right'. The problem is one of credibility... in that you have none.

Your problem is that instead of actually listening to Romney, you instead rely on your media to explain what he said.... and they lie about what he says. That's your fault - you allow your media to lie to you. Twits.

I think you just provided a very sound example of ridiculous partisanship looks like.

The problem is that I actually have a reputation on this board for pissing off the right, and the left. That, little one, is non-partisan thought process. I make no pretense that I am anything other than an independent conservative. But, unlike you borg, I am perfectly capable of thinking for myself and not taking my opinions from the media. Hence, I don't often start threads with a media link as my 'proof'. The media are not 'proof' of anything other than very few Americans appear to be able to think for themselves.

Wild-ass guess.

I have never met a liberal that was not proud to show their ignorance.

Sadly, they know if they repeat the same old story line long enough the lemmings will believe. What they can't stand is that they have swung so far left that they have left most thinking people far to their right. Thus they must invent the story line that it was the right that moved, not themselves. Disingenuous as hell but that is what we get from the liberal left these days.

The US has no tradition of far left politicics, not now nor at any time in your past. There really is no far left in the US, and that is very evident in policies.

The Tea Party are, by any objective standard, one of the more right wing groups in the developed world.

:lol::lol: Government Motors, Government mandated health care- No drilling, enviro-whack policies run amok.. No far left politics? Really? What are you drinking this morning?

Erand -

Opposing the seperation of church and state IS a hard right topic, IMHO.

I also think pouring money into the military when the US already spends more money on arms than the next 25 biggest spenders combined is a policy closer to Nationalism than Conservatism.

I am not suggesting that everything the GOP says and does is far right, because obviously there are plenty of moderates within the party, too.

Well, your opinion is wrong. The separation of church and state was created by the supreme court from one statement made by Thomas Jefferson, who had nothing to do with writing or adopting the Constitution. The actions by our first congress is proof positive that they had no concept of separation of church and state.

Again, you are wrong. We have learned over the last ten years, that our military was not large enough to fight two regional wars for a sustained period of time. We are also looking at China's effort to build a blue water navy that can prevent us from defending Japan and Taiwan. A strong military is the best guarantee that adversaries will not be tempted to attack us.

Forty percent of the American electorate self identify themselves as conservative. Only twenty percent self identify themselves as liberal, but our country has been governed by liberals for far too long.

Have you ever noticed that liberal Democrats sound more conservative than conservative Republicans at election time. They know where the country is.

1. if the supreme court says it's law -- it's law.
2. everything the founders did, was to make sure that government and religion weren't interconnected.
3.of the people who "self-identify as conservatives", most are radical reactionaries.

it isn't 'conservative' to want government involved in the most intimate decisions of the populace.

Yeah that Dred Scott ruling certainly was good law handed down by the SCOTUS.

:lol::lol: Government Motors, Government mandated health care- No drilling, enviro-whack policies run amok.. No far left politics? Really? What are you drinking this morning?

Can you explain why universal healthcare is also offered by every conservative government in the developed world?

My guess is that you can't.

Can you explain why the conservative parties of a dozen developed countries all assure their voters that climate change is real?

Universal healthcare is NOT a far left policy, and neither is climate change policy.

Can you explain why universal healthcare is also offered by every conservative government in the developed world?

Can you explain why the conservative parties of a dozen developed countries all assure their voters that climate change is real?

Universal healthcare is NOT a far left policy, and neither is climate change policy.

List all of these so called Conservative Governments who assure their populace of climate change, with the data and statements to back up what you're saying.. Also, list all of the CONSERVATIVE governments which offer or enacted government mandated health care .. Thanks!

ALGORE is not a far left policy kook??? ROFL!!

You're amusing.

Sodomy laws, were they right wing or left wing?
Abortion on demand, right wing or left wing?
DADT left or right?
99 weeks of unemployment, right or left?
Prayer in school, right or left?
Obamacare (tax) right or left?

Now I will agree that the following were held by the democrats identified with the left wing. Poll taxes, Jim Crow, Segregation...... Now if the repeal of those laws is considered moving right then I fully agree.

I could go on and on, but why bother. Now tell me how the country has moved right.

For the most part, though, Republican moderation is a kind of secret creed, a freemasonry of the right. It lacks institutions that might legitimize it, or even a language to express itself. And since conservatism is the only acceptable ideology, the party has no open arguments with itself. Thus the “debate” in the Republican Party is entirely between genuine ideological warriors and unwilling conscripts, with intraparty skirmishes generally taking the form of hunts for secret heresies.

Exactly, and those who dare to dissent are indeed branded as ‘heretics,’ as ‘RINOs.’

The GOP has become sick and incestuous, where new ideas and ways of thinking are shunned, where facts and logic are ridiculed, and pragmatists burned at the stake.

List all of these so called Conservative Governments who assure their populace of climate change, with the data and statements to back up what you're saying.. Also, list all of the CONSERVATIVE governments which offer or enacted government mandated health care .. Thanks!

ALGORE is not a far left policy kook??? ROFL!!

You're amusing.

I suggest you start with the UK conservative party, then go on and check out Germany, France, New Zealand and the various Scandinavian parties.

Here is the UK one to get you started:

The Government believes that climate change is one of the gravest threats we face, and that urgent action at home and abroad is required. We need to use a wide range of levers to cut carbon emissions, decarbonise the economy and support the creation of new green jobs and technologies. We will implement a full programme of measures to fulfil our joint ambitions for a low carbon and eco-friendly economy.

The Conservative Party | Policy | Where we stand | Climate Change and Energy

The same countries all also provide universal healthcare - UK, France, Germany, New Zealand and all of Scandinavia, Australia, Switzerland, Austria etc etc.

Last edited:
If Obama wins re-election...he's a lame duck from day 1.

That's what we hire our representatives to do and as long as they keep doing it, they will stay hired.

Yup, and that's why the republican party and the Neocons are cowards.

Rather than working to improve the country, they would rather sit back and watch it burn...

Real "patriotic" there.. :lol:

Yet, You are completely Blind to the fact that the Far left runs the Dem Party.

Gibberish and cliche - there is no real "Far left" in the US.

Go spout that bullshit in a grade school somewhere, it'd be the only place you'll find people young and inexperienced enough to believe it.

Most of the confusion swirling around in this thread is a result of the myopic dedication to seeing everything through the one-dimensional left/right axis. Thus all the confused, and inaccurate, accusations of "hard-right" and "hard-left". It was telling that in all of the OP's lengthy treatise, the author steadfastly avoided addressing the role of libertarian views in Republican party's current dilemma.

Correct, in the context of other Western nations, American ‘conservatives’ are isolated, extreme, and correctly perceived as ridiculous.

If Obama wins re-election...he's a lame duck from day 1.

That's what we hire our representatives to do and as long as they keep doing it, they will stay hired.

Yup, and that's why the republican party and the Neocons are cowards.

Rather than working to improve the country, they would rather sit back and watch it burn...

Real "patriotic" there.. :lol:

why should they do anything, obama got ObamaCare shoved off on the people against their will, where is all his high brow "visions" improvements for the country, Democrats have the Presidency and Senate, but remember folks, it's the Republicans fault

The only ones who seem highly concerned about the rise of the right wing in the Republican party are liberal Democrats. Mostly, the hard left wing.

What is really weird, is that most of these left wingers consider themselves moderates. They don't have a clue as to what they really are.

The Republican party has not shifted far to the right, although it has turned right. The Democrat party has shifted so far left that the center right of the electorate is now considered, by them, to be hard right.

They sit near the left 20 yard line, and think it is the center of the field.

As someone who has been around since Harry Truman was in the White House, I can say unequivocally that you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

The biggest critics of the Republican party's shift to the right are Goldwater Republicans who first shifted it to the right. Now, even they say it has gone too far.

Here is your assignment for the day; look up Nelson Rockefeller, Jacob Javits and Dwight D. Eisenhower, then get back to me...

Forum List

Back