Happy 222 Years!

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
To the American Constitution! The Constitution of the United States comprises the primary law of the U.S. Federal Government. It also describes the three chief branches of the Federal Government and their jurisdictions. In addition, it lays out the basic rights of citizens of the United States. The Constitution of the United States is the oldest Federal constitution in existence and was framed by a convention of delegates from twelve of the thirteen original states in Philadelphia in May 1787. The Constitution is the landmark legal document of the United States.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30OyU4O80i4]YouTube - Constitution Preamble - Schoolhouse Rock[/ame]

and how it came to be necessary:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-9pDZMRCpQ&feature=related]YouTube - Tea Party - Schoolhouse Rock - No more Kings[/ame]

Seems like its on life support these days.

it always has been.

and eventually there is a response. I must admit, this is the best week to be the social studies teacher. ;) I have the authority to make the 'little grades' get an intro to the Constitution. I understand the importance of reading and math, yet don't always understand how they can't integrate 'social studies' into reading and there's plenty of math that can be integrated too! But today's my 'week'! So they are using the plans from here, disclaimer, I've written plans for this site:

http://www.civiced.org/constitution_day_lessons.php

Now in January it's teaching the 'census'. Not so excited about that, though good maps and lots of statistics, which are great for the kids. (Note the 'math?')

U.S. Census Bureau Educational Resources

cartoon-what-about-the-constitution-515.jpg

Ame®icano;1527935 said:

Egads, brings to mind a 6th grader who said her parents said Obama is killing the Constitution and should be impeached! :eek: Mind you, I'm no Obama supporter, BUT... I said, "That's interesting, perhaps tonight at dinner you might ask what laws they think President Obama has broken? That's the only reason that the Constitution says the House should consider impeachment." Real problem is 6th grade curriculum is ancient history, this is a 'throw in.' Poor kid hasn't a clue what the Constitution says, obviously neither do her parents. But it was a teachable moment, can't wait for Monday. We're off tomorrow.

Ame®icano;1527935 said:

Egads, brings to mind a 6th grader who said her parents said Obama is killing the Constitution and should be impeached! :eek: Mind you, I'm no Obama supporter, BUT... I said, "That's interesting, perhaps tonight at dinner you might ask what laws they think President Obama has broken? That's the only reason that the Constitution says the House should consider impeachment." Real problem is 6th grade curriculum is ancient history, this is a 'throw in.' Poor kid hasn't a clue what the Constitution says, obviously neither do her parents. But it was a teachable moment, can't wait for Monday. We're off tomorrow.

That's so funny Annie! And it's even more funny because there are some on here who think the same thing, so basically they think like a 6th grader! :lol:

Great thread btw, thanks for posting! :thup:

Ame®icano;1527935 said:

That's so funny Annie! And it's even more funny because there are some on here who think the same thing, so basically they think like a 6th grader! :lol:

Great thread btw, thanks for posting! :thup:
Thanks Echo, that means alot coming from you!

"The liberties of our country, the freedoms of our civil Constitution are worth defending at all hazards; it is our duty to defend them against all attacks. We have received them as a fair inheritance from our worthy ancestors. They purchased them for us with toil and danger and expense of treasure and blood. It will bring a mark of everlasting infamy on the present generation – enlightened as it is – if we should suffer them to be wrested from us by violence without a struggle, or to be cheated out of them by the artifices of designing men." -Samuel Adams

Happy Birthday!

But what does one get the document that has everything?

Loyalty and defense?

A goo ddusting of and a little attention are probably a good start.

My copy doesn't gather dust. Attention isn't the problem for my 7th graders that take the Constitution test. They are familiar with Locke, Hobbes, letters of Jefferson, Washington, notes of Madison, and why Montesquieu was held in wide regard. They know of Plato and the Magna Carta and how all the above tie together.

Loyalty and defense?

My copy doesn't gather dust. Attention isn't the problem for my 7th graders that take the Constitution test. They are familiar with Locke, Hobbes, letters of Jefferson, Washington, notes of Madison, and why Montesquieu was held in wide regard. They know of Plato and the Magna Carta and how all the above tie together.

I wonder what happens between 7th grade and most people's adulthood?

I'll admit, I rocked grade school geography but can't remember even half the State capitals today. :redface:

Maybe if the dialogue were centered more around the concepts and controversies in the real document instead of the partisan rah-rah stuff, people wouldn't forget? Maybe?

Last edited:
Loyalty and defense?

How I wish you were mini-echo's teacher in middle school Annie!

The one she had just turned on the power point and sat at his computer during the entire class time! :eek: :evil:

How I wish you were mini-echo's teacher in middle school Annie!

The one she had just turned on the power point and sat at his computer during the entire class time! :eek: :evil:

Thanks. I've an awesome subject matter. So cool! Everything from The Iceman to 9/11 and aftermath. Doesn't get better.

It is a shame that so many citizens don't know, much less care about the Constitution, and what it truly means for this Republic.

It is a shame that so many citizens don't know, much less care about the Constitution, and what it truly means for this Republic.

We should revive the Constitutionalists thread. I tried, but no takers.

Of course, you know what that would mean. :evil:

There should be more respectful constitutional discussions on here. It rarely gets the treatment it deserves.

I'll admit, I rocked grade school geography but can't remember even half the State capitals today. :redface:

Maybe if the dialogue were centered more around the concepts and controversies in the real document instead of the partisan rah-rah stuff, people wouldn't forget? Maybe?

I'll 'rant' a bit here. The reason for public schools originally were two fold; to make good citizens and good citizens for Christ. Over time, the later was dropped, for reasons.

The idea though of 'indoctrinating our youth' into our system of government should not have been dropped. They need to know their responsibilities as citizens and that is certainly tied to state standards.

However, 'the why they should be good citizens', meaning the reasoning behind the constitution, has been lost. I wonder how many people here, liberals or conservatives or in-between realize that most standardize testing have been cutting social studies? The standards are 'issue based' rather than 'idea based'?

'Social studies' is in itself a dumbing down of what many of us had, which was less than our parents and grandparents. I had classes in history and geography, not 'social studies.' Now I'll admit to being overeducated, these were my passions. I've degrees in history, sociology, and political science. I've endorsements in geography, language arts and journalism. Guess what? No matter the teacher's knowledge or passion, your kids only have 45-55 minutes 4 days a week. We had at least double that.

For at least 20 years, we are not educating the next generation in our system of government or the serious role of the citizen.

I'll 'rant' a bit here. The reason for public schools originally were two fold; to make good citizens and good citizens for Christ. Over time, the later was dropped, for reasons.

The idea though of 'indoctrinating our youth' into our system of government should not have been dropped. They need to know their responsibilities as citizens and that is certainly tied to state standards.

However, 'the why they should be good citizens', meaning the reasoning behind the constitution, has been lost. I wonder how many people here, liberals or conservatives or in-between realize that most standardize testing have been cutting social studies? The standards are 'issue based' rather than 'idea based'?

'Social studies' is in itself a dumbing down of what many of us had, which was less than our parents and grandparents. I had classes in history and geography, not 'social studies.' Now I'll admit to being overeducated, these were my passions. I've degrees in history, sociology, and political science. I've endorsements in geography, language arts and journalism. Guess what? No matter the teacher's knowledge or passion, your kids only have 45-55 minutes 4 days a week. We had at least double that.

For at least 20 years, we are not educating the next generation in our system of government or the serious role of the citizen.

You're preaching to the choir on this one. Tying funding to the standardized testing, then not testing every subject more or less equally was one of the two worst ideas in education in generations. History, civics and governemnt, economics, geography are all vital to understanding where we come from, where we are, where we could be going and how we can get there.
Add to that the chopping of both pure and applied sciences, of any and all exposure to the arts, of mandatory physical education in the young and impressionable grades...and parents have their hands full if they want to raise any kind of well-rounded, critically thinking kids.

Forum List

Back