Hannity, Limbaugh and O'Reilly are Union members

Network news. Does not include local newscasts.
Tv Ratings are measured in 30 minute segments. Radio ratings are measured in 15 minute segments.
Local news casts are not included in national ratings.
That said, FNC draws higher ratings than those of the other alphabet network news casts in the US.
The Left seethes over this. Hence the reason why we see such reactions to this information such as "bullshit".....

That linked article references national news, not local news. Did you even open it?

He probably mentioned Local Newscasts because when we got into this discussion, I mentioned the touchy feelly aspect of local news.

Come to think of it, I had forgotten about things like "60 Minutes" and those News programs. I was actually referring to local newscasts originally.

Immie

60 minutes gets high ratings although it is no longer the number one rated show as it once was. However, 60 minutes is a scripted news magazine show. It is not a newscast.

That linked article references national news, not local news. Did you even open it?

He probably mentioned Local Newscasts because when we got into this discussion, I mentioned the touchy feelly aspect of local news.

Come to think of it, I had forgotten about things like "60 Minutes" and those News programs. I was actually referring to local newscasts originally.

Immie

60 minutes gets high ratings although it is no longer the number one rated show as it once was. However, 60 minutes is a scripted news magazine show. It is not a newscast.

Then what is the difference between a Newscast and the local news? When I think of The Local News, I think if the 6:00 news on say ABC, NBC or CBS. That is the local news. They used to give all the news national and local. Now they give local charity balls, local sports scores and the weather and nothing more unless a major local event happens such as a police officer being shot. I can't really think of a Network News Program such as you describe these days... definitely not a prime time Network News Program. Is there such a thing?

Immie

I gotta say that I find that information surprising to say the least... almost unbelievable. I guess it is because I long ago turned to the Cable Networks and abandoned the Network News because of convenience. I didn't realize Network News still had that much viewership.

Immie

Network news. Does not include local newscasts.
Tv Ratings are measured in 30 minute segments. Radio ratings are measured in 15 minute segments.
Local news casts are not included in national ratings.
That said, FNC draws higher ratings than those of the other alphabet network news casts in the US.
The Left seethes over this. Hence the reason why we see such reactions to this information such as "bullshit".....

Need I point out that FNC was excluded from your link?....
The fact that only the three original alphabet networks were included is insulting.
It is as though they do not matter. Or is it something nefarious?....Such as cable news beats the over the air nets?....
In any event...in this table for Sunday 2/28, FNC had BY FAR the most viewers of any cable news channel......Now, we can compare various slots by the ratings. For example which network got the better rating for 6:30 pm (EST) news cast? FNC or one of the alphabets.....
This chart indicates that in the 6pm hour, nearly 3.5 million people tuned into FNC....Can any one of the alphabets claim that many?....Don't know. I will have to do more digging.
One issue is clear, more people are getting their news from FNC than the traditional nets in ever increasing numbers. SO much so that the other networks have had to make adjustments to their schedules, lay off people to bolster their sagging bottom lines and (GASP) improve their reporting.
It is only a matter of time before FNC is the most viewed news source on television.
Now, next time you decide to post a link then bitch about it,make sure the info is pertinent.
Your chart excluded the very network on which the discussion was based.
So how is that proof of anything related to your claim?...
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ews-ratings-for-monday-february-28-2011/84264......
Now, before you go off on a knee jerk reaction, this is for cable news casts.
I will take the time you should have and find ratings for Over the Air network national news casts.

Too funny....the mighty neocon blowhards are hardcore hypocrits!

Why am I not surprised. The 3 stooges mentioned in the Alternet article sure as hell have their high priced lawyers or agents present when their contract renewals come up.

And AGAIN, pensions are DEFERRED payments......the "taxpayer" only gets involved when the State SIPHONS OFF FROM PENSION FUNDS to solve other State fiscal problems.

It's truly fascinating to see the level of denial among the die had supporters of those in the Alternet article.

here we are 10 minutes later and this is what I came up with....
These are the ratings for network national newscasts for the week ending 2/14..
EVENING NEWS (Week of February 14, 2011)
Total Viewers Adults 25-54 Households

ABC 7,970,000 1.7/7; 2,130,000 5.3/11
NBC 9,030,000 2.1/8; 2,620,000 5.8/12
CBS 6,100,000 1.5/6; 1,920,000 4.1/ 8

So, let's remember this is for 5 days. The data submitted in my earlier post was for ONE day..
To refresh our memory, On Sunday 2/28 FNC had about 3.5 million viewers in the 6PM hour..
NBC which appears to have drawn the largest audience in the week indicated.....Again this is for their evening national news boradcast....So let's take the 9 million viewers for the week and divide that by 7 for the number of days in a week....Uh oh.....That's a little over 1.1 million viewers per day....And that is for a 30 minute program. A period in which people are LESS likely to tune away as opposed to a full hour....
Based on the information provided here, it appears that indeed FNC draws more viewers than YES even the alphabets....
Seems I was correct all along....
Facts are like a big flashlight. They uncover the truth all the time.

Immie

Then what is the difference between a Newscast and the local news? When I think of The Local News, I think if the 6:00 news on say ABC, NBC or CBS. That is the local news. They used to give all the news national and local. Now they give local charity balls, local sports scores and the weather and nothing more unless a major local event happens such as a police officer being shot. I can't really think of a Network News Program such as you describe these days... definitely not a prime time Network News Program. Is there such a thing?

Immie

big difference Local newscasts are just that ,local. They are seen only in the designated market area of those stations. There is no way to compare a local broadcast and a national broadcast. Very simple.
The networks you mentioned are those with which the local stations are affiliated. Some may be owned by one of the networks. Never the less, these are local broadcasts and as such are not comparable to national broadcasts.
To answer you final query, yes, each of the three over the air nets (CBS ,NBC and ABC ) all broadcast a 30 minute national news program in the 6pm hour.
The newscast can air at 6 or 6:30 depending on the market.
Nielsen measures the ratings for the total number of viewers across the US during that time slot and adds them all up....

Immie

big difference Local newscasts are just that ,local. They are seen only in the designated market area of those stations. There is no way to compare a local broadcast and a national broadcast. Very simple.
The networks you mentioned are those with which the local stations are affiliated. Some may be owned by one of the networks. Never the less, these are local broadcasts and as such are not comparable to national broadcasts.
To answer you final query, yes, each of the three over the air nets (CBS ,NBC and ABC ) all broadcast a 30 minute national news program in the 6pm hour.
Nielsen measures the ratings for the total number of viewers across the US during that time slot and adds them all up....

Okay, then my statement about the 6:00 news and calling it the "local news" was generally what you meant by national news program and it seems we were on the same page but just using different wording. It makes sense that "local" programming cannot be compared to a national news program.

Thanks for your reply and clearing up my confusion.

Immie

WickedJester is a secret liberal posing as a conservative. What up?
Jake you're a lying POS.

He's also a confused SOB.
mmmm projection rejection. tasty.

funny-pictures-cat-had-too-much-catnip.jpg

Stalin was responsible for the death of 25 million Russians.

Rush is responsible for the peace of mind of 25 million listeners.

Yeah, you could say they're kind of similar.

Now now, there is no similarity between Rush and Stalin. I fully admit that.

My point was that popularity does not equal either humanity or validity.

And I feel the same way about Olbermann that I do about Rush.

Actually Drivebys is an old term.

They're the press that does hit pieces on issues and people they feel are worth taking a shot at.

They raise all kinds of hell and leave behind a mess and move on to the next target they feel is worth laying waste to.

The current term is The State Run Media. CBS, NBC, MSNBC, ABC, CNN, The Associated Press, The New York Times, The L.A. Times, USATODAY, The Huffington Post. Then there's the Radicals like Media Matters, Daily Kos, Center For American Progress, and others.

Ahh, I see.

Well I'll agree that that IS in fact a useful term.

However, I fail to see how it does not apply to Rush himself, or to any of the vast right wing media empire, as well as the liberal media outlets.

Though "state run media" is a ridiculous term if applied to all media outlets that are not part of Murdoch Inc (which is what you just did). Especially since the right-wing media could certainly have fit that definition to the tee during the Bush administration.

Stalin was responsible for the death of 25 million Russians.

Rush is responsible for the peace of mind of 25 million listeners.

Yeah, you could say they're kind of similar.

Now now, there is no similarity between Rush and Stalin. I fully admit that.

My point was that popularity does not equal either humanity or validity.

And I feel the same way about Olbermann that I do about Rush.

Why is it that people cannot use simple similes around here without having others jump down their throat? It is obvious you were not saying that Rush killed 25 million, but you are right the two were very popular.

Immie

So, let's remember this is for 5 days. The data submitted in my earlier post was for ONE day..
To refresh our memory, On Sunday 2/28 FNC had about 3.5 million viewers in the 6PM hour..
NBC which appears to have drawn the largest audience in the week indicated.....Again this is for their evening national news boradcast....So let's take the 9 million viewers for the week and divide that by 7 for the number of days in a week....Uh oh.....That's a little over 1.1 million viewers per day....And that is for a 30 minute program. A period in which people are LESS likely to tune away as opposed to a full hour....
Based on the information provided here, it appears that indeed FNC draws more viewers than YES even the alphabets....

You are correct. Fox does draw more viewers than any single other news channel...

However, since many on the right seem to assume that all other TV media aside from Fox are bastions of Liberal-ness, then one would have to compare the total viewership of all the rest of the news channels to that of Fox for any partisan comparison, now wouldn't they?

Not that I personally agree that all other media is in fact "liberal", but I didn't make the comparison...

However, since many on the right seem to assume that all other TV media aside from Fox are bastions of Liberal-ness

You don't have to "assume" anything. You just have to watch them to know they are left
That's Right, they are Left "by definition" of the CON$ervative Brotherhood.

May 12, 2008
RUSH: I maintain that moderates and independents are Democrats. Because, by definition, if someone or some organization is not conservative, it's by definition going to be liberal, not moderate, not independent, it's going to be liberal

Last edited:

You are correct. Fox does draw more viewers than any single other news channel...

However, since many on the right seem to assume that all other TV media aside from Fox are bastions of Liberal-ness, then one would have to compare the total viewership of all the rest of the news channels to that of Fox for any partisan comparison, now wouldn't they?

Not that I personally agree that all other media is in fact "liberal", but I didn't make the comparison...

You should have stopped at "you are correct"...
The amusing part is when you say the other nets editorial base is not liberal yet you want to group them all together vs FNC as a group....Of what?
C'mon, ( he says lifting wool from over his eyes)...
BTW, no one stated the alphabets were "bastions of liberal-ness"....It is true however that the legacy network's editorial slant is most certainly to the left. Throw in PBS and NPR(radio).
FNC is indeed winning the ratings battle. I realize that for the Left, that is a tough pill to swallow.

The amusing part is when you say the other nets editorial base is not liberal yet you want to group them all together vs FNC as a group....Of what?
BTW, no one stated the alphabets were "bastions of liberal-ness"....It is true however that the legacy network's editorial slant is most certainly to the left. Throw in PBS and NPR(radio).
FNC is indeed winning the ratings battle. I realize that for the Left, that is a tough pill to swallow.

Actually, someone was in fact stating that they were bastions of Liberal-ness, which provoked my original response. The actual term they used was "State Run Media", ala Rush Limbaugh.

And my point was that if you are making a case for a left vs right ratings battle, (and I am not, but others are) and you consider all other television media besides FoxNews to be Left-wing, then you must logically include all said media in such a comparison.

Again, this is not what I believe, it is simply following the logic to it's conclusion.

You either have to include all media that you believe to be "liberal" in any such comparison, or not make the comparison at all.

Actually, someone was in fact stating that they were bastions of Liberal-ness, which provoked my original response. The actual term they used was "State Run Media", ala Rush Limbaugh.

And my point was that if you are making a case for a left vs right ratings battle, (and I am not, but others are) and you consider all other television media besides FoxNews to be Left-wing, then you must logically include all said media in such a comparison.

Again, this is not what I believe, it is simply following the logic to it's conclusion.

You either have to include all media that you believe to be "liberal" in any such comparison, or not make the comparison at all.

Logic to Fox News supporters and defenders is like garlic to a vampire.

Logic to Fox News supporters and defenders is like garlic to a vampire.
LOL says one of the most illogical people on the forum
:lol:

Immie

I haven't watched network news in years, but isn't 6pm the national time slot?

What does that have to do with local news?

Every network and cable news outlet is left-leaning compared to Fox News.

Fox focuses on the hypocrisy of Democrats and the occasional Republican while the other stations only focus on the faults of Republicans. They ignore the ridiculousness of the Democrats in Washington and instead try to talk about unrelated issues when one of them does something that casts a bad light on the party. This is why some here are shocked when one of us tells them about a story on Fox or elsewhere that they never heard about. It's because CNN, NBC, and CBS, which are openly hostile to the GOP, has ignored it. This board is the only place some of these stories surface because the news sources they subscribe to totally ignore anything that makes Democrats look like the dishonest manipulators they are.

I used to say to myself that there's no way all of this is going on because the State Run Media hasn't talked about it. If they aren't talking about it then it never happened or it's not important enough to talk about. Well, I discovered that the SRM is hiding things from us for a reason. This is why there is so much confusion currently over the teacher's strike. Right now there are very few teachers striking. But the Wisconsin government is effectively shut down because 14 Democrats fled the state and are camped out in Obama's home state. The left thinks they are heros while the right feels they're cowards. The middle doesn't know WTF is going on.

Forum List

Back