Hanks/Cruise: Comedy-Media Roast

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
This is a media-culture comedy-roast of American media-dolls/super-celebrities Tom Hanks and Tom Cruise.

I love Hollywood (being a U.S. citizen), but I wonder if our media-soaked modern culture makes us somewhat 'shallow' about 'pedestrian metaphysics' (but it's all in good fun, right?)…

I just realized none of this has to be funny at all.

comic1.jpg

====

{TOM HANKS}

"What a great distinction to be able to poke fun at the iconic and charming and cinema-multiversed Tom Hanks who rose from the comedic TV spotlight of Bosom Buddies to don prestigious/impressive roles in iconic American films such as Philadelphia, The Ladykillers, Charlie Wilson's War, and Sleepless in Seattle(!).

Hanks is a pretty humble guy, though he seems very happy showcasing his rather conspicuously offbeat 'Americana looks/face.' Is that because he's ultra-conscious of the marketing power of the camera, or is it because he's really Forrest Gump (at heart!)?

However, I'd never make a sly remark towards Hanks if I ever ran into him at, say, a distinguished movie premiere for a big-time Spielberg film about someone like Eliot Ness or Lou Gehrig or James Polk! I'd be too intimidated by his self-awareness, his celebrity aura, and of course, his unusual and probing little eyes...

Let's face it, the world is divided into two categories of people --- those who dream of attending Yale University because they're poor and those who dream of becoming Tom Hanks because they're American."

{TOM CRUISE}

"What an honor to be able to head this media comedy-roast of the American superstar Tom Cruise, who's given us unforgettable culturally-symbolic Hollywood films like Born on the 4th of July, Rain Man, Lions for Lambs, and Minority Report. Yes, Cruise is to cinema what the great Col. Harland Sanders was to American fast-food --- convenience mixed with hygiene.

If you're one of the beautiful bevy of women who's dated Tom Cruise, you might have discovered his offbeat passion for Scientology, action-adventure films, Tony Scott, and of course ballpark-franks. Actually, I have no idea if Cruise likes hot-dogs, but I'd not be surprised if he made a Hollywood film about proud tradition of ballpark-franks (hehe).

I have to admit, I'm staring at the eyes of a tough crowd/audience for this media comedy-roast of super-celebrity Tom Cruise, and why not? Audiences in America simply worship our sacred media-dolls and celebrities like Mr. Cruise. He doesn't shop at Wal-Mart or worry about his credit-card bills. No, he has other concerns --- like if his hairstyle is appropriate for his media-interview about Dianetics.

Of course, I wouldn't be put off the wondrous world of Scientology and Dianetics just because the real life Ken-doll (Tom Cruise himself!) is the only superstar spokesman of the unusual pro-media religious group. However, I would worry if some of his Scientology 'pals' would chase me around a parking lot once they discovered I was only attending one of their unusual meetings to hear Mr. Cruise talk about rock-climbing, race-car contests with fellow American movie-star and mentor/advisor Paul Newman, and what it's like to not ever want to be on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? (hehe)(!)."

====

comic2.jpg

Forum List

Back