Hangul- Korean has a more rational alphabet than Japanese. But so does everyone

browsing deer

Silver Member
Jul 11, 2015
in the forrest
I am looking at a youtube video about Hangul. It is a logical to extreme alphabet. Vulcans would use something like it. But...

the sounds Koreans make are bizarre. They make noises nothing like english. They have b/p, r/l, t/d sounds. English has b and p distinct. And R and L are distinct. Korean has sounds that can be either.

They have the ch sound in loch, a sound much beloved by Germans, Israelis and Russians as well. But not existent in English, except in borrowings from scottish. You watch Kdramas, you hear this sound a lot

They two have vowels that don't exist in english. Basicly, it is the sound you make when you get punched in the stomach, and the sound you make when punched in the side.

i like Kdramas. But I am going to be illiterate in Korean

Appreciation of other languages depends a lot on your native one. As a native-English speaker I found German much easier than French and Spanish. Though non-native English speakers often say English is a very difficult language to learn, and they're right. Identical sounding words but different spellings and meanings are only the beginning. Identical words but different usage and context further cloud things. Plus of all our words, a fair chunk are from other languages we co-opted.

One insane thing english does that no one does is phrasal verbs. And we do a lot of them.

go-
get-

are the basis for a lot of them

Forum List

Back