Half Of World's Animals Ahave Disappeared In Last 40 Years

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Earth has lost half of its wildlife in the past 40 years says WWF Environment The Guardian
87f5d53b-875b-403b-a8bb-6f8e671af8b6-460x276.jpeg

Rubbish dumped on the tundra outside llulissat in Greenland stand in stark contrast to icebergs behind from the Sermeq Kujullaq or llulissat Ice fjord – a Unesco world heritage site. Photograph: Global Warming Images/WWF-Canon
The number of wild animals on Earth has halved in the past 40 years, according to a new analysis. Creatures across land, rivers and the seas are being decimated as humans kill them for food in unsustainable numbers, while polluting or destroying their habitats, the research by scientists at WWF and the Zoological Society of London found.

“If half the animals died in London zoo next week it would be front page news,” said Professor Ken Norris, ZSL’s director of science. “But that is happening in the great outdoors. This damage is not inevitable but a consequence of the way we choose to live.” He said nature, which provides food and clean water and air, was essential for human wellbeing.

And RW's reaction? Ignore, lie or pretend its not true.

Earth has lost half of its wildlife in the past 40 years says WWF Environment The Guardian

Rubbish dumped on the tundra outside llulissat in Greenland stand in stark contrast to icebergs behind from the Sermeq Kujullaq or llulissat Ice fjord – a Unesco world heritage site. Photograph: Global Warming Images/WWF-Canon
The number of wild animals on Earth has halved in the past 40 years, according to a new analysis. Creatures across land, rivers and the seas are being decimated as humans kill them for food in unsustainable numbers, while polluting or destroying their habitats, the research by scientists at WWF and the Zoological Society of London found.

“If half the animals died in London zoo next week it would be front page news,” said Professor Ken Norris, ZSL’s director of science. “But that is happening in the great outdoors. This damage is not inevitable but a consequence of the way we choose to live.” He said nature, which provides food and clean water and air, was essential for human wellbeing.

What do you expect. According to you Loony Lefties, we don't believe in science OR education. :slap:

Holy toledo you asshole. I pulled this up because I personally am very concerned about Monarchs and have been diligently working to provide habitat.

First thing I fucking see is you slagging conservatives. What the fuck is wrong with you?

So right from the get go instead of me feeling like I can open up and tell people what they can do to hedge the demise of our Monarchs I want to throttle you for blatantly slagging a group of individuals you don't know.

You are insane.

Now the asshole OP aside, I've been very worried about Monarchs and bees. Well I fret about many of my bug buddies.

When I first got to Manitoba where I live now one of the reasons I chose my location is that I'm on a huge migratory path not just for birds but for Monarchs.

You have never seen anything so jaw droppingly wonderous as a tree covered in them. Classic murphy's law I didn't have my camera but the vision will forever be singed in mind's eye. I was with Bad Ass at the time.

Even he froze witnessing all of them on this old apple tree. It was this beyond belief moment where you go "only God could make this beauty". This whole tree was covered in Monarchs. And these guys were heading to Mexico. What wonder. What beauty.

I've always been into providing habitat, but seeing these beauties in action on their path thousands of miles away really kicked me into gear to be sort of a "johnny appleseed" but for butterflies. You can order seed. And even if you only give one square foot of your garden to a desired plant that a hummingbird might love or a butterfly feeding station you get the beauty of the plant and the beastie.

I've got some really good non GMO seed sources so if you want to PM me I'll pass them on.

Can I be your bug buddy too?

You bettcha! :) The downside of living on the edge of a swamp are giant skeeters .We are talking skeeters so big they'd even scare the crap out of old Ray Harryhausen BUT I have dragonflies to die for.

Colors that blind you. Red, blue and for the first time this year golden dragonflies. I saw the hatching. Unreal. Their wings were like golden lace.

I just realized I gotta get out more. :lol:

Holy toledo you asshole. I pulled this up because I personally am very concerned about Monarchs and have been diligently working to provide habitat.

First thing I fucking see is you slagging conservatives. What the fuck is wrong with you?

So right from the get go instead of me feeling like I can open up and tell people what they can do to hedge the demise of our Monarchs I want to throttle you for blatantly slagging a group of individuals you don't know.

You are insane.
NEWSFLASH Sugar Shorts tinydancer :up: ALL deniers are conservatives

154613_600.jpg

Now the asshole OP aside, I've been very worried about Monarchs and bees. Well I fret about many of my bug buddies.

When I first got to Manitoba where I live now one of the reasons I chose my location is that I'm on a huge migratory path not just for birds but for Monarchs.

You have never seen anything so jaw droppingly wonderous as a tree covered in them. Classic murphy's law I didn't have my camera but the vision will forever be singed in mind's eye. I was with Bad Ass at the time.

Even he froze witnessing all of them on this old apple tree. It was this beyond belief moment where you go "only God could make this beauty". This whole tree was covered in Monarchs. And these guys were heading to Mexico. What wonder. What beauty.

I've always been into providing habitat, but seeing these beauties in action on their path thousands of miles away really kicked me into gear to be sort of a "johnny appleseed" but for butterflies. You can order seed. And even if you only give one square foot of your garden to a desired plant that a hummingbird might love or a butterfly feeding station you get the beauty of the plant and the beastie.

I've got some really good non GMO seed sources so if you want to PM me I'll pass them on.

Tiny, you routinely make fun of those of us that point out the damage that is being done to the environment. You deny the damage the GHGs are doing. And you think that your tiny efforts are doing anything to make up for what is happening on a continental scale?

http://www.newsweek.com/monarch-but...conservationists-seek-extra-protection-267094

In the last 20 years, the population of monarch butterflies in the eastern U.S. has declined by 90 percent, greatly worrying environmentalists and researchers. Today, three major conservation groups and a scientist have called on the Fish and Wildlife Service to designate the brilliant orange and black insects as threatened, a move that would provide federal officials with more latitude in efforts to preserve them like designating certain areas as protected.

“We’re at risk of losing a symbolic backyard beauty that has been part of the childhood of every generation of Americans,” said Tierra Curry, a senior scientist at the Center for Biological Diversity, one of the groups calling for the move, in a release. “The 90 percent drop in the monarch’s population is a loss so staggering that in human-population terms it would be like losing every living person in the United States except those in Florida and Ohio.”

The Center for Food Safety and the Xerces Society, groups dedicated to sustainable food protection practices and insect preservation, respectively, are also asking the feds to act, as is famed monarch scientist Lincoln Brower.

Good post but it will no doubt be mocked & ridiculed by deniers here.

On that note, I made a suggestion, concerning this sub-forum, in "announcements & suggestions".

Forum List

Back