Haiti in Crisis

Students originally from Haiti have been some of the smartest, hardest working, most polite, most religious, and most family oriented students that I have ever worked with and I have worked with a lot of students from every corner of the world. Don’t judge everybody by the worst of anything.
Absolutely. Watching video of Haiti a year ago, it was a horrible place to call your home. Just awful. Now, the entire country has become a horror show previously unseen. Not even the wealthy can escape what's happening there. No one is safe anywhere.

Foreign Aid

Haiti received more than US$4 billion in aid from 1990 to 2003, including US$1.5 billion from the United States. The largest donor is the US, followed by Canada and the European Union.In January 2010, following the earthquake, US President Barack Obama promised US$1.15 billion in assistance. European Union nations pledged more than €400 million (US$616 million). Neighboring Dominican Republic has also provided extensive humanitarian aid to Haiti, including the funding and construction of a public university, human capital, free healthcare services in the border region, and logistical support after the 2010 earthquake.

The United Nations states that in total US$13.34 billion has been earmarked for post-earthquake reconstruction through 2020, though two years after the 2010 quake, less than half of that amount had actually been released, according to UN documents. As of 2015, the US government has allocated US$4 billion, US$3 billion has already been spent, and the rest is dedicated to longer-term projects.

Personal income​

A market in Cap-Haïtien

Haiti suffers from a shortage of skilled labor, widespread unemployment, and underemployment. Most Haitians in the labor force have informal jobs. Three-quarters of the population lives on US$2 or less per day.

Remittances from Haitians living abroad are the primary source of foreign exchange, equaling one-fifth (20%) of GDP and more than five times the earnings from exports as of 2012. In 2004, 80% or more of college graduates from Haiti were living abroad.

Occasionally, families who are unable to care for children financially may send them to live with a wealthier family as a restavek, or house servant. In return the family are supposed to ensure that the child is educated and provided with food and shelter, however the system is open to abuse and has proved controversial, with some likening it to child slavery.

Personal Income

Is there a time that it’s not?
No, there isn't, but this time it's different. The gangs are in charge and the government, military, and police are now either gone, or rendered ineffective. None are getting paid. Before it was close to completely breaking down, now it finally has.

It’s a familiar story among the estimated 30,000 Haitian children who live in hundreds of orphanages where reports of forced labor, trafficking, and physical and sexual abuse are rampant. In recent months, Haiti’s government has stepped up efforts to remove hundreds of these children and reunite them with their parents or relatives as part of a massive push to shut down the institutions, the vast majority of which are privately owned.

30,000 Haitian kids live in private orphanages. Officials want to shutter them and reunite families..

Why are orphanages privately owned?

When a nation is in a crisis like Haiti at present, its citizens have no other choice but to flee the country. We can expect some to show up in Florida for sure, perhaps Texas, or the Mexico-U.S. border. That's why it's a good idea that nations do not devolve into pure chaos and violence, because ultimately people have to leave their homes if they wish to survive.

When a nation is in a crisis like Haiti at present, its citizens have no other choice but to flee the country. We can expect some to show up in Florida for sure, perhaps Texas, or the Mexico-U.S. border. That's why it's a good idea that nations do not devolve into pure chaos and violence, because ultimately people have to leave their homes if they wish to survive.
We have no obligation to take them in. Africa is nice this time of year

The citizens have been armed with Machetes and are on their own now. They have begged for help from te world,

How did they let it get so bad?
Stay home. clean it up.

Same thing we will have to do soon enough after the fraudulent takeover now targeting Political opposition using rigged Courts.

According to Dershowitz.
  • There are disturbing suggestions that among the reasons lawyers are declining the case is because they fear legal and career reprisals.
  • There is a nefarious group that calls itself The 65 Project that has as its goal to intimidate lawyers into not representing Trump or anyone associated with him. They have threatened to file bar charges against any such lawyers.
  • I wrote an op-ed offering to defend pro bono any lawyers that The 65 Project goes after. So The 65 Project immediately went after me, and contrived a charge based on a case in which I was a constitutional consultant, but designed to send a message to potential Trump lawyers: If you defend Trump or anyone associated with him, we will target you and find something to charge you with. The lawyers to whom I spoke are fully aware of this threat — and they are taking it seriously…. It may even be worse today….
  • Good lawyers… generally welcome challenges, especially in high-profile cases. This case is different: the threats to the lawyers are greater than at any time since McCarthyism. Nor is the comparison to McCarthyism a stretch. I recall during the 1950s how civil liberties lawyers, many of whom despised communism, were cancelled, and attacked if they dared to represent people accused of being communists.
  • Our system of justice is based on the John Adams standard: he too was attacked for defending the British soldiers accused of the Boston Massacre, but his representation of these accused killers now serves as a symbol of the 6th Amendment right to counsel. That symbol has now been endangered….
  • Trump’s lawyers have now alleged that one of the prosecutors has suggested to Stanley Woodward, the lawyer for Waltine Nauta, Trump’s co-defendant, that his application for judgeship may be negatively affected if he persists in defending Nauta vigorously rather than encouraging him to cooperate against Trump. If that is true – and I have not seen the evidence to support it – then it represents a direct attack on the 6th Amendment.

How did they let it get so bad?
Stay home. clean it up.

Same thing we will have to do soon enough after the fraudulent takeover now targeting Political opposition using rigged Courts.

According to Dershowitz.
  • There are disturbing suggestions that among the reasons lawyers are declining the case is because they fear legal and career reprisals.
  • There is a nefarious group that calls itself The 65 Project that has as its goal to intimidate lawyers into not representing Trump or anyone associated with him. They have threatened to file bar charges against any such lawyers.
  • I wrote an op-ed offering to defend pro bono any lawyers that The 65 Project goes after. So The 65 Project immediately went after me, and contrived a charge based on a case in which I was a constitutional consultant, but designed to send a message to potential Trump lawyers: If you defend Trump or anyone associated with him, we will target you and find something to charge you with. The lawyers to whom I spoke are fully aware of this threat — and they are taking it seriously…. It may even be worse today….
  • Good lawyers… generally welcome challenges, especially in high-profile cases. This case is different: the threats to the lawyers are greater than at any time since McCarthyism. Nor is the comparison to McCarthyism a stretch. I recall during the 1950s how civil liberties lawyers, many of whom despised communism, were cancelled, and attacked if they dared to represent people accused of being communists.
  • Our system of justice is based on the John Adams standard: he too was attacked for defending the British soldiers accused of the Boston Massacre, but his representation of these accused killers now serves as a symbol of the 6th Amendment right to counsel. That symbol has now been endangered….
  • Trump’s lawyers have now alleged that one of the prosecutors has suggested to Stanley Woodward, the lawyer for Waltine Nauta, Trump’s co-defendant, that his application for judgeship may be negatively affected if he persists in defending Nauta vigorously rather than encouraging him to cooperate against Trump. If that is true – and I have not seen the evidence to support it – then it represents a direct attack on the 6th Amendment.

How off-topic can you get?

How off-topic can you get?

uh,,,,,,,,,excuse me Dear Genius teacher of wrestling. But, A country in chaos from Political upheaval is very pertinent to the topic. In case you did not notice, the USA is at the beginning stages, Suggest you wake up//

Haiti is in terrible shape, worse than before because they have no President and the gangs are now more powerful than the police, who they are now targeting and killing. People are in dire poverty, and fuel has always been one of the most powerful black market items, extreme shortages. There is NO effective government whatsoever in office. The U.N. should be intervening here to bring stability. Almost no reporting on this.

The Clintons cleaned them out. That's why "no one" is talking about it.

The Clintons cleaned them out. That's why "no one" is talking about it.
Over the next four decades, the Clintons became increasingly involved in Haiti, working to reshape the country in profound ways. As US president in the 1990s, Bill lobbied for sweeping changes to Haiti’s agricultural sector that significantly increased the country’s dependence on American food crops. In 1994, three years after a military coup in Haiti, Bill ordered a US invasion that overthrew the junta and restored the country’s democratically elected president to power. Fifteen years later, Bill was appointed United Nations’ special envoy to Haiti, tasked with helping the country to develop its private sector and invigorate its economy. By 2010, the Clintons were two of Haiti’s largest benefactors. Their personal philanthropic fund, The Clinton Foundation, had 34 projects in the country, focused on things such as creating jobs.
Haiti and the failed promise of US aid

Bill Clinton urges solution to Haiti 'kidnap' case​

Clinton, named by the United Nations to coordinate relief efforts for survivors of the devastating January 12 quake, made the appeal during a visit to the shattered Haitian capital, Port-au-Prince, his second since last month’s disaster.

The accused U.S. missionaries, most of whom belong to an Idaho-based Baptist church, were arrested a week ago and charged on Thursday with child kidnapping and criminal association.

Haitian authorities say the group tried to take a busload of 33 Haitian children across the border into the Dominican Republic without any papers proving the minors were orphans or any official permission to take them out of the country.
Bill Clinton urges solution to Haiti 'kidnap' case

Laura Silsby, Haiti 'Orphans' ' Would-Be Rescuer, Serial Rule Breaker​

Even before Laura L. Silsby and seven other Idahoans ended up in a Haitian jail accused of trafficking in children, Silsby had a history of failing to pay debts, failing to pay her employees and failing even to follow Idaho laws.
Silsby has been the subject of eight civil lawsuits and 14 unpaid wage claims. The $358,000 Meridian house at which she founded her nonprofit New Life Children's Refuge in November was foreclosed upon in December. A check of Silsby's driving record revealed at least nine traffic citations since 1997, including four for failing to provide insurance or register annually.

Why are orphanages privately owned in Haiti? That's very bizarre.

uh,,,,,,,,,excuse me Dear Genius teacher of wrestling. But, A country in chaos from Political upheaval is very pertinent to the topic. In case you did not notice, the USA is at the beginning stages, Suggest you wake up//

Further off topic.

Forum List

Back