Had Chrome, Switched to Firefox, Switched Back to Chrome

Snouter

Can You Smell Me
Aug 3, 2013
Firefox was slow as fuck actually. Chrome says this site is Not secure. Can the owners pay the hosting company the $1 a month to provide a secure connection?

Firefox was slow as fuck actually. Chrome says this site is Not secure. Can the owners pay the hosting company the $1 a month to provide a secure connection?

This is all a squabble over various entities certifying sites as "secure".. If you don't get certificates from an agency that the browser company likes, they'll flag you.. Almost like having various mafia rings extort you..

There is nothing to STEAL on USMB.. Other than your password and no one except the high level coder IT folks have access to that. What is it we're not protecting?

That cert is not about malware or scams. That's a separate site defense issue..

Chrome feels like a phone app there to monetize my browsing experience. Maybe Firefox is too. It has a better story though.

Used Firefox for all my browsing until at least a couple of years ago when it suddenly became a slow resource monster when they completely reworked it. Now I use Chrome for video browsing and video streaming, Chromium for everything else. Chromium is what Chrome is built on but doesn't play well with some video streaming sites.
I'm taking another look at Brave which appears to have greatly improved since the last time I used it.

Firefox is actually slow, I recommend everyone to use chrome because it's very fast and secure too. Coming to the "Not Secure" it's not like that we pay any money to make the site secure it's when we don't work and encrypt our site then it shows "Not Secure".

If you are using XP Pro, the problem comes from the CA Certificates Store embedded in the OS, which all Chrome/Chromium-based browsers kowtow to. The only real solution I have been able to figure out is to find a coder to reverse engineer Superfish, Privdog, or Sendori; rip out its adware/malware components, and leave intact its SSL-stripper proxy. Actually finding a coder able and willing to do this is another matter. Currently my workaround is to have two browsers open. One either SRWare Iron or Slimjet, the other either Mypal or Centaury. When I run across a site the CA creeps refuse to let SRWare Iron or Slimjet reach (like 50% of the URLs on the internet) I paste that address into Mypal or Centaury.

The SSL/CA Certificates is just a scam in my opinion, not much different than paying protection money to Mafia:

How 1984 works in 2006 - Wiretapping Unveiled

How to Render SSL Useless

How is SSL hopelessly broken? Let us count the ways

How the NSA, and your boss, can intercept and break SSL | ZDNet

....and a censor's delight (with about six different 'security errors' to blockade half the internet sites).

Forum List

Back