Does Windows 10 fit the definition/description of a computer virus?

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
There are an abundant "definitions" of what exactly is a computer virus. I looked up the definition, and it varies quite a bit. However they all pretty much come down to this - a piece of code that was written to cause harm, and/or retrieve data from a host computer without the owners permission/knowledge.

So. By that definition, is Windows 10 a "virus"?
Was it written to retrieve data without the owners permission/knowledge? There is no question it steals all manner of data from you and does with it pretty much whatever they want. The thin line here however, is they technically have your permission. Written in the pages of the agreement when you bought the computer, buried in there it indeed clearly says they will mine your data, basically anything and everything on your computer and use at their discretion. Including emails, private photos, documents, your browser history - everything.
But did you know that?
Secondly, does Windows create harm? You bet. Case in point is the STILL ONGOING now year long problem of Windows Search getting caught in a loop and consuming 100% of disk memory usage for hours on end slowing the computer down till you are pulling your hair out. You can fix it by going into msconfig and disabling Windows Search. Until they update your computer, and reset your config files as they do. This causes a ton of loss of production in businesses. And that is only one bug in Win 10. There are many others that cause memory loss.

So is Windows 10, at least in spirit, a computer virus?

By that definition all Windows pretty much is a virus. And all programs. I don't hate 10 at all. It is what it is, and I try to protect myself as much as I can.

By that definition all Windows pretty much is a virus. And all programs. I don't hate 10 at all. It is what it is, and I try to protect myself as much as I can.

You bring up a good point... in the past 10 years, as the public has simply handed over their privacy with glee to get something for free, are app makers taking it too far? Should something be done legislatively to curb the rampant data swapping going on by pretty much all major program writers? Or perhaps our government, as with everything else, is much more interested in how much money there is to be made by investing in these industries than regulating them.
As well as, IMO, if we had a single decent media outlet - they would be telling folks in detail just how much their information is being stolen.

P.S... you can't protect yourself no matter what steps you take by using Windows 10. Your keystrokes for instance are being sent to them. Windows 10 has a built-in keylogger. You can disable it, until they see that you disabled it, then they re-enable it without telling you.
They also daily record your browser history even if you open a private tab/window.

You bring up a good point... in the past 10 years, as the public has simply handed over their privacy with glee to get something for free, are app makers taking it too far? Should something be done legislatively to curb the rampant data swapping going on by pretty much all major program writers? Or perhaps our government, as with everything else, is much more interested in how much money there is to be made by investing in these industries than regulating them.
As well as, IMO, if we had a single decent media outlet - they would be telling folks in detail just how much their information is being stolen.

P.S... you can't protect yourself no matter what steps you take by using Windows 10. Your keystrokes for instance are being sent to them. Windows 10 has a built-in keylogger. You can disable it, until they see that you disabled it, then they re-enable it without telling you.
They also daily record your browser history even if you open a private tab/window.

^^ I know. All of it, the total loss of our privacy really bothers me, but I am not sure what to do other than try my best to protect myself. And of course you know it isn't just Windows, it's everything. This all is one reason I use very few Apps on my phone, or anywhere.

There are a lot of almost-secret settings in Win10 that can be tweaked to give more privacy. You can try to track them down one-by-one, but I used a program called "DoNotSpy10" to quickly look at them all. A couple of caveats:

Make sure you download it from the developer's website, so that you're not getting a bogus version.

For the free version, there's one page/window on the install where it asks if you want some third-party software installed, and the checkbox is checked by default. That's how the developer makes some money. Make sure you uncheck it.

I used Windows from Widows 95, and possibly the one before that. 3.2 maybe it was? And then I used Windows all the way up to Windows 7.

And I never once got a computer virus. Or malware.

Then I switched to Apple products a while back. For a lot of reasons. There's always the hardware itself, though. Which both companies use. Intel and whatnot.

There are a lot of almost-secret settings in Win10 that can be tweaked to give more privacy. You can try to track them down one-by-one, but I used a program called "DoNotSpy10" to quickly look at them all. A couple of caveats:

Make sure you download it from the developer's website, so that you're not getting a bogus version.

For the free version, there's one page/window on the install where it asks if you want some third-party software installed, and the checkbox is checked by default. That's how the developer makes some money. Make sure you uncheck it.

Yes, just like HiJackThis, great program for those who are knowledgeable..but unfortunately there are copy-catters and bogus copies that have had malicious programs added to block their own crap from being detected.
I am not familiar with DoNotSpy10, however if it is like the rest of the legit apps that exist, when they reach M$'s radar - M$ simply makes a registry entry to render the program useless. Ringle05 brought to us when Win 10 first came out a nice app that blocked all of the telemetry easily, It was awesome, until it wasn't when M$ would turn everything back on. It was an endless cat and mouse game.

There are an abundant "definitions" of what exactly is a computer virus. I looked up the definition, and it varies quite a bit. However they all pretty much come down to this - a piece of code that was written to cause harm, and/or retrieve data from a host computer without the owners permission/knowledge.

Was it written to retrieve data without the owners permission/knowledge? There is no question it steals all manner of data from you and does with it pretty much whatever they want. The thin line here however, is they technically have your permission. Written in the pages of the agreement when you bought the computer, buried in there it indeed clearly says they will mine your data, basically anything and everything on your computer and use at their discretion. Including emails, private photos, documents, your browser history - everything.
But did you know that?
Secondly, does Windows create harm? You bet. Case in point is the STILL ONGOING now year long problem of Windows Search getting caught in a loop and consuming 100% of disk memory usage for hours on end slowing the computer down till you are pulling your hair out. You can fix it by going into msconfig and disabling Windows Search. Until they update your computer, and reset your config files as they do. This causes a ton of loss of production in businesses. And that is only one bug in Win 10. There are many others that cause memory loss.

Yes, by Microsoft's own definition of malware Win10 is malware. Back when they were offering it for free they were the notification would pop up, if you didn't want it you clicked the X and the notification would go away for a while, Win 10 did not download or install.
Well Microsoft kept sending little bits of code with every update until finally when the pop up reappeared, people would click on the X (like Microsoft says to do with malware) but this time Win 10 downloaded and installed against the will of any user clicking the X..............
Given Microsoft's own definition, they're malware.

But did you know that?

Don't know about a virus, but fresh from the M$ factory it is bloated with corporate malware, and possibly one or more of its nasties may quality as a virus. Definitely its contents include a keylogger and some spyware...one item sounds like adware. Not really looked too deep into this can of worms, as I would not even consider this OS as viable choice. Using Win 10 would be like downloading software from CNET....asking for it! Everything I have seen (for example, Windows 10 Shamelessly Wants Your Data. Here’s How to Protect Yourself.), says this is a nasty piece of work.

Forum List

Back