H. Res. 489

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
Recognizing the twentieth anniversary of the suppression of protesters and citizens in and around Tiananmen Square in Beijing, People's Republic of China, on June 3 and 4, 1989 and expressing sympathy to the families of those killed, tortured, and imprisoned in connection with the democracy protests in Tiananmen Square and other parts of China on June 3 and 4, 1989 and thereafter.

H. Res. 489: Recognizing the twentieth anniversary of the suppression of protesters and citizens in and around... (GovTrack.us)

This resolution passed 396 - 1. Thankfully, Rep. Ron Paul understands that we don't have the authority, moral or otherwise, to make any such demands of China's government. Here is his statement.

I rise to oppose this unnecessary and counter-productive resolution regarding the 20th anniversary of the incident in China’s Tiananmen Square. In addition to my concerns over the content of this legislation, I strongly object to the manner in which it was brought to the floor for a vote. While the resolution was being debated on the House floor, I instructed my staff to obtain a copy so that I could read it before the vote. My staff was told by no less than four relevant bodies within the House of Representatives that the text was not available for review and would not be available for another 24 hours. It is unacceptable for Members of the House of Representatives to be asked to vote on legislation that is not available for them to read!

As to the substance of the resolution, I find it disturbing that the House is going out of its way to meddle in China’s domestic politics, which is none of our business, while ignoring the many pressing issues in our own country that definitely are our business.

Paul (TX14) - Speech and Statement - Statement on H Res 489 Regarding Tiananmen Square

I applaud Ron Paul for making a stand on principles here and standing up for what is the right thing to do. Rather than have legislation jammed down the throats of Congress no matter what the reason, Ron Paul took a stand here and made it known to have congress vote on legislation they have not even read is just plain wrong 4.0!! There are many way's this nation can send a signal of support and even acknowledge the event's in China 20 years ago but passing resolutions is not one of them, when our laws nor our resolutions hold any sway over the Chinese Govt. It can also be said that this is the same congress that is at the same time passing these sorts of resolutions going to the Chinese and begging for loans for bailouts to support our country. It would seem they would have thought this one through a little more. So my hat's off to the only member of congress here with any sense.

That just indicates that he has a blind and irrational opposition to state action even if it's designed to prevent more authoritarian impositions. That's why he maintains his flawed propertarian stance; he can't comprehend the authoritarian nature of capitalism.

That just indicates that he has a blind and irrational opposition to state action even if it's designed to prevent more authoritarian impositions. That's why he maintains his flawed propertarian stance; he can't comprehend the authoritarian nature of capitalism.

Ya cause the US Congress passing a resolution in support of an event 20 years ago in China MEANS something, right?

Last I checked, what happens in China is none of our Business. Unless of course you think China should be able to tell US what to do when it suits them.

Ya cause the US Congress passing a resolution in support of an event 20 years ago in China MEANS something, right?

Last I checked, what happens in China is none of our Business. Unless of course you think China should be able to tell US what to do when it suits them.

Opposition to authoritarianism shouldn't be limited by crude national distinctions.

Opposition to authoritarianism shouldn't be limited by crude national distinctions.

There are better ways of going about it than our Congress making demands of another sovereign government they have no authority over. Also, we need to get our own house in order before we tell others how to take care of theirs.

I also find it disturbing that they're still passing, and even voting on, legislation that they haven't been able to read.

New Topics

Forum List

Back