Gypsy or Roma, Zigeuner or Sinti - which words are seen as correct now?

Zebra

Gold Member
May 29, 2023
In Germany a certain type of Schnitzel is called Zigeunerschnitzel.
Now there is a discussion going on whether on can still use the word Zigeuner.
How is it in the USA?
Could you talk of a Gypsy-Schnitzel, or must you use another word now?

@ the politically incorrect Zigeuner-Schnitzel:

Hannover was the first city in Germany to ban the name. Now it’s called Balkanschnitzel. The following year, the Interior Ministry of the State of Baden-Württemberg followed suit, no more Zigeunerschnitzel in its cafeterias neither.

In contemporary German the term “Zigeuner” has been replaced by “Sinti and Roma”. Zigeuner was also the term under which the Nazis persecuted the Sinti and Roma. More than 500,000 Gypsies perished during the Third Reich.

So, yes, the term Zigeuner is indeed politically incorrect when referring to the ethnic group. But going after a harmless dish? I doubt that it does anything. Eating a politically-correct renamed schnitzel does not inject the person who eats it with tolerance and respect for people with a different skin color, language, culture or religious belief. These attitudes come with the atmosphere in which the dish is eaten, no matter what its name is.

In a guest blog post called “Food Names That Don’t Go Down Well that I wrote a while ago, I pointed out that German has many other dishes with names that could be viewed as ethnically offensive: the half-moon cookies called Amerikaner (Americans), Franzosensuppe (Frenchmen’s Soup), Russische Eier (Russian Eggs)… the list goes on.

After reading that blog post about food names, a friend of mine living in Hannover emailed me the menu of a local steak restaurant. “Look,” he wrote, “there is still Zigeunerschnitzel on the menu, in the good company of Jägerschnitzel (Hunter Schnitzel) and Wiener Schnitzel (Viennese Schnitzel). Maybe the owner is simply insensitive because the kids’ menu suggests eating entire members of the Duck family with dishes like Donald Duck, Scrooge McDuck and Aunt Daisy.”

German Schnitzel Gravy - Zigeuner Schnitzel Gypsy Sauce​

How is it in the USA?
Die Amerikaner nennen sie einfach Leute. Zumindest fur die meisten von uns.

And I thought Tummy Turd was dross . This lunatic does more harm to the German image than Uncle Adolf .I now better understand why we twice wanted to wipe them out

I dont think Zigeunerschnitzel needs to be banned, that just scratches on the surface, it is a technicality, doesnt change much for me or more or less i have no problem with zigeunerschnitzel, or zigeuner wirt or if someone dresses in gypsy clothes on halloween or fasching. It depends on how you treat others, with dignity and respect, how you treat me. I still prefer roma and sinti for public discussion, because it is neutral and zigeuner is loaded with lots of stereotypes, typically negative, people use it also often as slur even for someone who is not a roma like for associals or junkies i, i heard it often, even from police once they said there are some zigeuner in the park but it were only junkies and associals. And if you bann zigeunerschnitzel doesnt mean people wont use zigeuner anymore or like zigeuner, i mean it wont change much for me in daily life. Im not against zigeunerschnitzel zigeuner wirt or if someone wants to pretend he is a gypsy but is not.

Btw my video was not about really gypsy or roma, it is just symbolic that the title is gypsy or roma of the video, but you need to listen to everything she says to get really the point, just banning zigeunerschnitzel is not what the video means.

I dont think Zigeunerschnitzel needs to be banned, that just scratches on the surface, it is a technicality, doesnt change much for me or more or less i have no problem with zigeunerschnitzel, or zigeuner wirt or if someone dresses in gypsy clothes on halloween or fasching. It depends on how you treat others, with dignity and respect, how you treat me. I still prefer roma and sinti for public discussion, because it is neutral and zigeuner is loaded with lots of stereotypes, typically negative, people use it also often as slur even for someone who is not a roma like for associals or junkies i, i heard it often, even from police once they said there are some zigeuner in the park but it were only junkies and associals. And if you bann zigeunerschnitzel doesnt mean people wont use zigeuner anymore or like zigeuner, i mean it wont change much for me in daily life. Im not against zigeunerschnitzel zigeuner wirt or if someone wants to pretend he is a gypsy but is not.
good saying!

How is it in the USA?
this should have been a poll!

Forum List

Back