guns: a real sad story from south Carolina

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Listening to the radio on the way home, a little 3 year old killed himself with a gun he found in his mommys dresser. The gun was her 37 year old husband who passed away last year. It turns out she removed the clip but didn't know a enough about guns and didn't know there was a bullet in the chamber. Sad, your thoughts?

The gun was loaded and laying around for a year with easy access for a toddler. What could go wrong? My thoughts are that people should have to pass an IQ test before procreating.

Listening to the radio on the way home, a little 3 year old killed himself with a gun he found in his mommys dresser. The gun was her 37 year old husband who passed away last year. It turns out she removed the clip but didn't know a enough about guns and didn't know there was a bullet in the chamber. Sad, your thoughts?

Sad but totally preventable.
Husband should have taught her how to use the pistol and she should have put it in a place the child couldnt access.

Who said that? How come you won't give this young girl a break? The simsponville south Carolina cops won't press charges

She just didn't know. She thought she did the right thing and removed the clip and her 3 year old son is dead

Let me ask you this question smart guy, do you know one volt can kill you in the right place with just the right amount of amps?

Were this an isolated case, the gun nuts might have an arguement. But it is not an isolated case. We see accounts of young children finding their parents weapons and killing themselves or some other child on a weekly basis. There seems to be a lot of incompetance in the handling of guns in this nation.

Let me ask you this question smart guy, do you know one volt can kill you in the right place with just the right amount of amps?

you can also drown in 1" of water, if you have your face in the wrong position.

What does that have to do with this?

I feel sorry for this woman, but simply removing the clip isn't enough, put the damn gun in a locked drawer.

Were this an isolated case, the gun nuts might have an arguement. But it is not an isolated case. We see accounts of young children finding their parents weapons and killing themselves or some other child on a weekly basis. There seems to be a lot of incompetance in the handling of guns in this nation.

Yeah,that chick is stupid. As is anyone who leaves a gun where a child can get to it.

Darwin. So what?

People who leave guns where children can get at them, with this result, should be prosecuted for negligent homocide. Let the jury decide if there are extenuating circumstances.

Lots more incompetent auto drivers. Give me your keys.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Part of the responsibility unfortunately lies on the shoulders of the dead husband. Did he die suddenly? Did he have time to wrap up the details of responsibility when he was gone? Obviously the gun was one of the more lethal "loose ends" to attend to before his end came.

It is sad that she "thought" the gun was safe. People die from a lot of accidents and causes because they assume they knew something they clearly in hindsight did not know. Saying "she did not know" after the fact is not good enough.

The police are errant in not charging her with child endangerment and an unintended death. She did know that guns could in the wrong hands kill. She did know that she did not know much about how a gun works. It was her responsibility to become better informed about how the gun operates or get it out of her house upon the death of her husband.

Some laws are drawn up to make a point or force a lesson upon those of us that have not yet commited a crime. If she was charged with involuntary manslaughter by neglect the case would draw attention to others that would attend to better gun safety as a result. Perhaps with that attention lives and injury could be saved or prevented from a similar bad end result.

I say it is an important enough of a case that a trial needs be proceeded to and a jury should decide her fate. She had a right to have the gun. She didn't have a right to endanger the child. Those facts exist outside of her ignorance.

Give us a break, she is emotional, prolly making $10 bucks an hour,her husband just died a year latter the wounds still don't heal... And now the poor mother has to deal with this? It wasn't her fault. She did the best as she could.

Very sad, but what's the point in this thread ? Just trying to start another endless mindless gun debate that never settles anything ?

Give us a break, she is emotional, prolly making $10 bucks an hour,her husband just died a year latter the wounds still don't heal... And now the poor mother has to deal with this? It wasn't her fault. She did the best as she could.
It is her fault, because her "best" wasn't good enough.

First of all, the pistol should have been out of reach or locked up away from a 3 year old, and it surely doesn't take a genius or even a full understanding of how a firearm operates to know that. Now she has to live with that for the rest of her life. I find it hard to muster sympathy for someone who was that stupid. What I do feel is pity and sorrow it had to happen. Three years old is far too young to die such an avoidable death.

Forum List

Back