Gun Owners - At Least 100 Million Strong

Burp

Always carry, never tell
Jan 22, 2009
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the agency responsible for running the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), has announced the completion of the 100 millionth instant background check since the inception of NICS 10 years ago.

FBI background checks are required under federal law for all individuals purchasing firearms from federally licensed retailers. These checks help ensure that those prohibited by law from possessing firearms do not acquire them, and the checks further serve as a strong indicator of actual sales.

The NICS 100 millionth transaction corresponds with a 27.1 percent increase in firearm sales for the first quarter of 2009 over the same quarter last year.

FBI Background Checks for Firearm Purchases Hit 100 Million

Our state recently reported a huge increase in gun sales, perhaps it's a bit of paranoia but can you blame them?

As long as they are not criminals, good for them I say.

27.1 percent increase in permits. Ammo and weapon shortages.

Probably a bit of paranoia but..no, considering...I can't blame them (me) at all.

Paranoia is not always a bad thing. I relate it to life/disability insurance. It's better to have guns and not need them, then it is to need them, and not have them.

Good analogy.

I prefer that it's their right and anyone willing to take another's rights away is a threat, at least the gun owners have the tools to stop that.

Thousands of guns are stolen every year.

The gun owners are supplying criminals with guns.

Making America safer, one gun at a time.

Thousands of guns are stolen every year.

The gun owners are supplying criminals with guns.

Making America safer, one gun at a time.

Oddly, you're right, just not in the manner in which you think you are. They are shipped in from other countries mostly.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the agency responsible for running the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), has announced the completion of the 100 millionth instant background check since the inception of NICS 10 years ago.

FBI background checks are required under federal law for all individuals purchasing firearms from federally licensed retailers. These checks help ensure that those prohibited by law from possessing firearms do not acquire them, and the checks further serve as a strong indicator of actual sales.

The NICS 100 millionth transaction corresponds with a 27.1 percent increase in firearm sales for the first quarter of 2009 over the same quarter last year.

FBI Background Checks for Firearm Purchases Hit 100 Million

That was me. I bought a new gun last week.:cool:

Add to this number the largely conservative military, now that is a force not to be messed with.

Gun training should be mandatory for women in grade school, when they are adults they can to choose to buy a gun but as long as our government is failing us by allowing criminals on the streets women need the protection of guns.

I don't think gun training should be mandatory for anyone not wanting one, but some defense training. I trained in martial arts, had a great teacher, even to this day his motto sticks with me: "Think bamboo.'

Paranoia is not always a bad thing. I relate it to life/disability insurance. It's better to have guns and not need them, then it is to need them, and not have them.

"When they're actually out to get you... Paranoia is just good, heads-up thinkin'..." Ancient American Philosopher: Trapper John

Thats quite an army

Yes it is... it's known as "The Militia." And while some will cry 'kook' at that... it remains a fact.

Which is why those determined to undermine the Culture demand that this army be disarmed.

The left likes to portray "The Militia" as the Michigan folks that gather with secret handshakes, drink beer and play war games... but in truth, the Militia is the sum of armed able-bodied citizens, who come to the aid of their nation, when they are called to do so; as they are essential to the status of freedom.

Our state recently reported a huge increase in gun sales, perhaps it's a bit of paranoia but can you blame them?

"In June 1981, Morton Grove, Ill., a northern suburb of Chicago, passed an ordinance banning handguns. In reaction, Kennesaw, Ga., a northern suburb of Atlanta, passed an ordinance requiring heads of households "to maintain a firearm" and ammunition "to provide for the civil defense" and "protect the general welfare of the City and its inhabitants."
But Kennesaw's crime rate plummeted. In fact, the number of some crimes declined amid soaring population growth. For example, in figures the city provided to the FBI Uniform Crime Report, Kennesaw had 54 burglaries in 1981 – the year before the gun ordinance – with a population of 5,242. In 1999, with a population of 19,000, only 36 burglaries were reported. "
The rate of violent crime is approximately four times lower than the state and national rates, Kennesaw's Crime Statistics Report said. "Violent crime is almost nonexistent in residential neighborhoods," Graydon told UPI. The detective, who has been with the police department since 1986, said the isolated exceptions take place in motels or in commercial areas. "
PublicRights.org - Crime Plunges in Pro-Gun Town

"In June 1981, Morton Grove, Ill., a northern suburb of Chicago, passed an ordinance banning handguns. In reaction, Kennesaw, Ga., a northern suburb of Atlanta, passed an ordinance requiring heads of households "to maintain a firearm" and ammunition "to provide for the civil defense" and "protect the general welfare of the City and its inhabitants."
But Kennesaw's crime rate plummeted. In fact, the number of some crimes declined amid soaring population growth. For example, in figures the city provided to the FBI Uniform Crime Report, Kennesaw had 54 burglaries in 1981 – the year before the gun ordinance – with a population of 5,242. In 1999, with a population of 19,000, only 36 burglaries were reported. "
The rate of violent crime is approximately four times lower than the state and national rates, Kennesaw's Crime Statistics Report said. "Violent crime is almost nonexistent in residential neighborhoods," Graydon told UPI. The detective, who has been with the police department since 1986, said the isolated exceptions take place in motels or in commercial areas. "
PublicRights.org - Crime Plunges in Pro-Gun Town

Great. There you go again PC.

You and your facts.

:clap2:

Gun Owners - At Least 100 Million Strong

I can see it now... When the government decides to confiscate our weapons, they'll just open their little database and be able to see exactly who has a gun, what type and how many.

They won't get everyone (or every gun). There are places you can buy handguns and not go into the database.

My brother sent me this the other day. I'd never heard of Tony Martin or this case. Pretty scary.

You're sound asleep when you hear a thump outside your bedroom door.
Half-awake, and nearly paralyzed with fear, you hear muffled whispers.
At least two people have broken into your house and are moving your way.
With your heart pumping, you reach down beside your bed and pick up your
shotgun. You rack a shell into the chamber, then inch toward the door
and open it. In the darkness, you make out two shadows.

One holds something that looks like a crowbar. When the intruder
brandishes it as if to strike, you raise the shotgun and fire. The blast
knocks both thugs to the floor. One writhes and screams while the
second man crawls to the front door and lurches outside.
As you pick up the telephone to call police, you know you're in trouble.

In your country, most guns were outlawed years before, and the few that
are privately owned are so stringently regulated as to make them
useless. Yours was never registered.
Police arrive and inform you that the second burglar has died.
They arrest you for First Degree Murder and illegal Possession of a
Firearm. When you talk to your attorney, he tells you not to worry:
authorities will probably plea the case down to manslaughter.

"What kind of sentence will I get?" you ask.

"Only ten-to-twelve years," he replies, as if that's nothing. "Behave
yourself, and you'll be out in seven."

The next day, the shooting is the lead story in the local newspaper.
Somehow, you're portrayed as an eccentric vigilante while the two men
you shot are represented as choirboys. Their friends and relatives can't
find an unkind word to say about them. Buried deep down in the article,
authorities acknowledge that both "victims" have been arrested numerous
times.
But the next day's headline says it all: "Lovable Rogue Son Didn't
Deserve to Die." The thieves have been transformed from career criminals
into Robin Hood-type pranksters.
As the days wear on, the story takes wings.
The national media picks it up, then the international media.
The surviving burglar has become a folk hero.

Your attorney says the thief is preparing to sue you, and he'll probably
win. The media publishes reports that your home has been burglarized
several times in the past and that you've been critical of local police
for their lack of effort in apprehending the suspects. After the last
break-in, you told your neighbor that you would be prepared next time.
The District Attorney uses this to allege that you were lying in wait
for the burglars.

A few months later, you go to trial. The charges haven't been reduced,
as your lawyer had so confidently predicted. When you take the stand,
your anger at the injustice of it all works against you. Prosecutors
paint a picture of you as a mean, vengeful man. It doesn't take long for
the jury to convict you of all charges. The judge sentences you to life
in prison.

This case happened.

On August 22, 1999, Tony Martin of Emneth, Norfolk, England, killed one
burglar and wounded a second. In April, 2000, he was convicted and is
now serving a life term.

For the rest of the article (please read it), go here. It's about half way down the page.

A Telling of What is Heading Our Way

For an update on the Tony Martin case (2003) go here:

BBC NEWS | England | Norfolk | Timeline: The Tony Martin case

Forum List

Back