Gun death Thread

Is it "gun deaths" you're concerned about or murder rates? After all, murder is murder regardless of what implement may be used to commit the crime.

If it is actual murder rates we're concerned with, we should first understand that America doesn't make it into the top 100 countries when we rank murder rate per capita...despite all the firearms here.

Is it "gun deaths" you're concerned about or murder rates? After all, murder is murder regardless of what implement may be used to commit the crime.

If it is actual murder rates we're concerned with, we should first understand that America doesn't make it into the top 100 countries when we rank murder rate per capita...despite all the firearms here.

Only guns. Shootings are welcome even if death is not involved, as long as guns are involved.

Only guns. Shootings are welcome even if death is not involved, as long as guns are involved.

Why? What's the point? We all know Americans tend to choose a firearm when murdering another. So what? Isn't the point to be concerned about murders, not the method by which the crime is carried out?

Can I ask, why? Why are you interested in shootings, and what is the point of the thread?

To illustrate how much gun violence there is in this country.

I am for gun control.

Why just "gun" violence and not overall violence rates, which are quite low in America?

Oh, and by the way, gun violence is decreasing in this country and has been for some time.

Can I ask, why? Why are you interested in shootings, and what is the point of the thread?

I am for gun control.

Why just "gun" violence and not overall violence rates, which are quite low in America?

Oh, and by the way, gun violence is decreasing in this country and has been for some time.

Prove it. Please, no nra statistics.

Oh, the denial.

Gun violence is a nice phrase but is the way people shift stats to make it seem as if we are more violent than we are. They remove all the stats they don't like and focus on "guns".

Don't try to dodge the issue with semantics.

I am for gun control.

Oh, the denial.

That's easy. Lots of sources, including government statistics, prove we're an increasingly safe society.

The violent crime rate - which includes murder, rape, and beatings - is half of what it was in the early 1990s. And the violent crime rate involving the use of weapons has also declined at a similar pace.

5 Facts About Guns, Schools, And Violence - Reason.com

Mass killings are also on the decline:

Mass shootings are no more common than they have been in past decades, despite the impression given by the media. In fact, the high point for mass killings in the U.S. was 1929

The Facts about Mass Shootings - John Fund - National Review Online

And you won't find America among the countries with the highest murder rate per capita:

Murders (per capita) statistics - Countries Compared - NationMaster

The latest stats I've seen place the US at #102 for murder rates per capita. Pardon the wiki reference:

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, there are other ways to look at "violent" crime. Rape is one way and in that case, the US doesn't make the top 50 list of countries with the highest rate of rape per capita:

Rapes (per capita) statistics - countries compared - Crime data on NationMaster

So, not an NRA stat among them. Now what were you saying about denial?

Gun violence is a nice phrase but is the way people shift stats to make it seem as if we are more violent than we are. They remove all the stats they don't like and focus on "guns".

No ones dodging. The issue is attempting to prove the need for gun restictions by showing violence in America. However violence overall is at a 25 year low in America. It's disengenious to focus on guns and ignore other means of murder and violence especially when attempting to compare the US to other countries.

Oh, the denial.

That's easy. Lots of sources, including government statistics, prove we're an increasingly safe society.

The violent crime rate - which includes murder, rape, and beatings - is half of what it was in the early 1990s. And the violent crime rate involving the use of weapons has also declined at a similar pace.

Mass shootings are no more common than they have been in past decades, despite the impression given by the media. In fact, the high point for mass killings in the U.S. was 1929

And you won't find America among the countries with the highest murder rate per capita:

The latest stats I've seen place the US at #102 for murder rates per capita. Pardon the wiki reference:

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, there are other ways to look at "violent" crime. Rape is one way and in that case, the US doesn't make the top 50 list of countries with the highest rate of rape per capita:

You offered no gun violence statistics, only murder statistics. You never proved that gun violence statistics are getting low.

John Fund is not credible.

The subject is "gun" violence.

The issue is that some people lack morality and do violent things. The tool they use is irrelevant.

Oh yeah> I can outrun a knife but not a bullet.

I highly doubt you can outrun even half the society but what is your point?

If you are truly concerned about sustaining innocent life you should start by disarming the government since they kill more innocent people than anyone else. Somehow though you think having them collect all the weapons would create more peace.

Oh, the denial.

You offered no gun violence statistics, only murder statistics. You never proved that gun violence statistics are getting low.

Not true. Two of the sources I cited show gun violence on the decline. I even quoted from one of the sources: "And the violent crime rate involving the use of weapons has also declined at a similar pace"

Gun violence (I'll assume you mean murder rates when a firearm is used) is low in America, despite all our civilian firearm ownership. In this list, America doesn't make the top ten, yet we have the highest civilian firearm ownership rates:

List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John Fund is not credible.

Why, because you say so?

The subject is "gun" violence.

And by all measures, despite all the firearms in America, we have a low rates of murder and violence per capita as well as mass killings and those rates have been on the decline for some time. Sorry if the truth doesn't fit your agenda.

Forum List

Back