Gulf residents still waiting for compensation

USAMomma

Jul 14, 2010
meanwhile...

1 year after the spill, BP is looking strong.

Twelve months after the Deepwater Horizon incident, BP is making strong profits.

So, where has Justice gone for those who still await their money/compensation?

The report reads, in part,
"The oil giant at the center of one of the world's biggest environmental crises is making strong profits again, its stock has largely rebounded, and it is paying dividends to shareholders once more. It is also pursuing new ventures from the Arctic to India. It is even angling to explore again in the deep waters of the Gulf of Mexico, where it holds more leases than any competitor."
From this link here:
One year after the spill, BP is looking strong - Business - U.S. business - msnbc.com

Then on another link I read this:
In Part,
"Oil stains linger in marshes along Louisiana's fragile coast and tens of thousands of victims are waiting for final payments from a $20 billion compensation fund, while a large number of people haven't received any money at all.
The 7 cents per ordinary share payable to BP shareholders March 28, or about $1.25 billion overall, isn't a lot by BP's standards -- it's half what the company paid investors for the final quarter of 2009 -- but Gulf residents frowned on the idea of going back to business as usual.
"BP has so much money that we can't really fathom it, but BP has to take care of its obligations to us," said Pass Christian, Miss., shrimper Bobby Barnett.
Barnett said London-based BP still owes him compensation, which he has filed for, for damages from a shortened season after the spill halted shrimping in some areas for much of the summer. He's also worried about the long-term effect on Gulf seafood from the dispersants BP used to break up the oil.
"This is a slap in the face to the thousands of victims forced to watch BP line its shareholders' pockets while they struggle to pay their mortgage and put food on the table," said James P. Roy, a lead attorney for plaintiffs suing BP and other companies over the disaster."
Read the rest here at this link:
Gulf Coast residents miffed by BP resuming dividends | NOLA.com

I hope Law and Justice System is the right place to post this? I was going to post in Environmental but I felt more appropriate for this topic. Again, where has Justice gone for those who are waiting monetary compensation from what BP problems did to their lives and businesses?

Forum List

Back