Gulf Coasts industrial boom strains labor pool

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
HOUSTON — Companies developing multibillion-dollar Gulf Coast plants to export cheap domestic natural gas or make things with it are encountering a harsh reality: There aren’t enough skilled hands to do all that building.

“It causes a big concern about what’s going to actually happen when it comes to fulfilling these jobs,” says Michael Bergen, executive vice president of Industrial Info Resources, a Sugar Land-based market research firm. It projects that companies ?will invest more than $64 billion to build at least seven liquefied natural gas facilities along the Gulf Coast in the coming years.

And if demand for labor drives up wages and related labor costs, Bergen said, some pro-jects might be canceled or delayed.

Announced projects include liquefied natural gas export terminals under development by Sempra Energy, Cheniere Energy and Freeport LNG. Such facilities chill natural gas into a liquid so it can be transported by tanker to foreign markets where it commands higher prices than in the United States.
I think this goes beyond just the Gulf Coast. As we continue to find and develop oil and gas, how many workers will be lacking due to failure to teach useful skills in our schools? I was fortunate. In my high school in Redlands, Calif., we had vocational training facilities. Carpenter, automotive, plumbing, electrical wiring, welding, smithy and other shop classes. Students were also required to attend other courses at the same time. How many such schools exist today and what kind of graduates are out schools preparing for this boom?

Read article @ Fuel Fix » Gulf Coast?s industrial boom strains labor pool

Hi_j0159-306x180.jpg

And also this story - @ Fuel Fix » Speed can be a drag on oil output

I think this goes beyond just the Gulf Coast. As we continue to find and develop oil and gas, how many workers will be lacking due to failure to teach useful skills in our schools?

Most of them I imagine, if a public school education is what they are limited to "achieving".

longknife said:
I was fortunate. In my high school in Redlands, Calif., we had vocational training facilities. Carpenter, automotive, plumbing, electrical wiring, welding, smithy and other shop classes. Students were also required to attend other courses at the same time. How many such schools exist today and what kind of graduates are out schools preparing for this boom?

So the same public school educators who CAN'T crank out readin, writin, and math types CAN crank out carpenters who can measure, electrical wiring folks who can read a blue print or welders that can do specialty work to outdo the robots that do it really well nowadays?

Methinks you have high hopes.

Last edited:
I was bad at fractions until I learned the metric system in the Army missile school I attended, then I could take fractions convert to metrics and re convert to fractions faster than I could do fraction math.

I went to school in Okiehoma City, yet there were no public schools teaching petroleum trades.

I'm not sure that it would even be legal to teach in public schools what the oil industry requires.

they have tech schools and colleges for those out of public school. I worked in a oil rig construction yard in Edmond Ok. I got to unload and move the yard supplies. Go home black at night from the grime on the rig parts.

If companies in the south are having problems filling employment roles on drill rigs, it's only because they are dumber than bricks down there, as shown by the fact that so many of them believe that the Flintstones is a documentary.

If companies in the south are having problems filling employment roles on drill rigs, it's only because they are dumber than bricks down there, as shown by the fact that so many of them believe that the Flintstones is a documentary.

A bit biased, are we?

Must be a liberal. :eusa_whistle:

A bit biased, are we?

Must be a liberal. :eusa_whistle:

Yeah, because only liberals would have the balls to believe that the Flintstones is NOT a documentary.

:clap2:

Forum List

Back