Guilty Verdict In Peanut Trial Should Send Warning

JakeStarkey

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2009
Since corporations are now people, they can be convicted of criminal behavior and can be broken up and sold by the government for criminality.

Guilty verdict in peanut trial should send warning - Health news

ALBANY, Ga. (AP) — Food safety advocates say a guilty verdict in a rare federal food-poisoning trial should send a stern warning to anyone who may be tempted to place profits over people's welfare.

More than five years after hundreds of Americans got sick from eating salmonella-tainted peanut butter, the top executive in the company that owned the Georgia plant where it was made was convicted Friday of conspiracy, obstruction of justice, wire fraud and other crimes related the nationwide outbreak in 2008 and 2009.

Former Peanut Corporation of America owner Stewart Parnell, 60, could face more than three decades in prison for the outbreak that was linked to nine deaths and prompted one of the largest food recalls in U.S. history. His brother, Michael Parnell, and another co-defendant could face 20 years in prison or more.

Experts said it was the first time American food processors have gone to trial on federal charges in a food-poisoning case. Food safety advocates applauded the jury verdict reached after a seven-week trial, though they also noted the case was unusually egregious.

Conspiracy, obstruction of justice, wire fraud have been crimes with prison sentences for longer than I have been alive. Corporate executives, as well as politicians and government employees have been going to jail for years for those crimes. What exactly is new about this? It looks like the same old stuff.

• Banned
With the new SCOTUS interps the last few years, corps can be tried as persons, and if found guilty forfeit the profits of criminalty (meaning the shar eholders have to pay back their dividends), and the corp seized and auctioned off.

With the new SCOTUS interps the last few years, corps can be tried as persons, and if found guilty forfeit the profits of criminalty (meaning the shar eholders have to pay back their dividends), and the corp seized and auctioned off.

Then logically, everyone who works at the corporation has to go to jail to? I think you are confused. It is ok, I am not a lawyer either. However, your analogy appears to be breaking down. Also, I have never seen any instance of shareholders coughing up paid dividends. Their equity can go to zero, but that is all.

Forum List

Back