Granddaughter yanks grandma's feeding tube

krisy said:
Where are you goin to see him,Avatar?

University of Penn. We are having a Church activity this weekend and he is our opening keynote speaker.

University of Penn. We are having a Church activity this weekend and he is our opening keynote speaker.

Id be very interested to hear what he has to say to you about this.

mom4 said:
When my father lay dying, (two years ago, April 6) The doctors told us that a living will meant nothing, and my sister who is a nurse in cardiac ICU corroborated ...

Doctors? Nurse?

What did your lawyer say?

krisy said:
I just talked to the guy myself. He was just on Glenn Beck,and also told me that The Atlanta Journal Constitution is going to be running a story about it this weekend. He said it may or may not be on Glenn Beck's website. I'm going to check now. He also told me that the Schindlers lawyers have offered to take on the case pro bono.

Wow Krisy you little activist you......LOL J/k If this is true it is frightening to the core.

Bonnie said:
Wow Krisy you little activist you......LOL J/k If this is true it is frightening to the core.

I know. lol!!! I was laughng at myself. I just had this urge to call the guy. I couldn't believe I did it!!! I really felt for this man,he was truly upset.

locknload said:
Doctors? Nurse?

What did your lawyer say?

We had no lawyers except estate lawyers. We had no controversy, thank Heaven. My dad died on a feeding tube. His BP was 55/50 while still on the machines. It was obvious he was no longer in his body.

The doctor and my sister were simply going by what they have seen happen several times in their line of work.

Thanks for the reply.

mom4 said:
We had no lawyers except estate lawyers. We had no controversy, thank Heaven. My dad died on a feeding tube. His BP was 55/50 while still on the machines. It was obvious he was no longer in his body.

The doctor and my sister were simply going by what they have seen happen several times in their line of work.

I guess I am confused about ...

... The doctors told us that a living will meant nothing ...

... and my question is ... exactly what does an opinion from a doctor, or a nurse have to do with the validity, legality, and enforcement of a living will?

locknload said:
... and my question is ... exactly what does an opinion from a doctor, or a nurse have to do with the validity, legality, and enforcement of a living will?
As has been stated before in many other threads, the medical care is strictly a decision between the doctor and the patient OR the closest living relative as defined by law. that may include a medical power of attorney although I'm not sure if that can be contested as well.

locknload said:
Thanks for the reply.

I guess I am confused about ...

I'm just going by what my sister has seen happen. Having a living will does not remove controversy. Perhaps the phrase "means nothing" was too strong. I apologize. I should have said it does not remove controversy or ensure that the will will actually be followed.

mom4 said:
I'm just going by what my sister has seen happen. Having a living will does not remove controversy. Perhaps the phrase "means nothing" was too strong. I apologize. I should have said it does not remove controversy or ensure that the will will actually be followed.

Gotcha ... thanks.

My lawyer has advised me that currently, as my living will is written, it will be adhered to and that all concerned will be given a legal copy, if and when I am hospitalized.

I say currently because the way things are going I may have to "wake up" and pull the damn plugs myself. ;)

locknload said:
I say currently because the way things are going I may have to "wake up" and pull the damn plugs myself. ;)

Actually, I think you have just the opposite to fear because of the way things are going lately.... you might get a slight head injury that puts you in a mild comma and somebody (other than you) might just decide you need to die.

freeandfun1 said:
Actually, I think you have just the opposite to fear because of the way things are going lately.... you might get a slight head injury that puts you in a mild comma and somebody (other than you) might just decide you need to die.

Well, he is 27 and has live a full life ya know!....

locknload said:
Gotcha ... thanks.

My lawyer has advised me that currently, as my living will is written, it will be adhered to and that all concerned will be given a legal copy, if and when I am hospitalized.

If you're not in a rush, I'm trying perfect a self-destruct switch for humans. Timing and condition to be programmed in.

freeandfun1 said:

Hey Free, the post I told you about is here:

http://theanchoress.blogspot.com/2005/04/please-tell-me-that-this-is-not.html

I think most responsible on blogs, will be very careful with the original source, yet if you check at site, you'll see what you've said is certainly the case, that people are trying to intervene, if warranted. There are a lot of links.

Thursday, April 07, 2005
Please tell me that this is not another Schiavo case
I literally tried to post this from 4:10 yesterday afternoon, but blogger was not letting me in. Since writing it, many other sites have picked up the story, but much is still unclear. See links at the bottom.

I post this with the warning that this information comes in the form of a PRESS RELEASE, and that I have not been able to find a single news item to which to link. I have not yet done any research into this story. In fact, until I can say more with any certainty,I won't even link to the website which is carrying the press release.

That said, the conventional wisdom following the death of Terri Schiavo was: "The next one will be easier," and with that in mind, I simply want to put a name and a bare outline of the situation into your awareness, and then we'll see if anything develops down the road.

The press release is difficult to read - the website carrying it is bright pink andthere are all sorts of type enlargements and exclamation points - for a dyslexic like me, the site is a nightmare. But what I am gleaning here is that in La Grange, Georgia, an 81 year old elderly lady named Mae Magouirk was admitted two weeks ago to hospital for an aortic dissection, and is now in a hospice being denied food or water due to the demands of a granddaughter. This woman, Mae Magouirk,apparently does have a living will which stipulates that unless she is comatose or vegatative, she IS to be given nourishment and hydration. She is not now, comatose, nor vegatative. Nor, it appears, is she terminally ill.

Apparently, the hospice feels the hospital did not give due diligence in ascertaining exactly who had authority to consent to or deny treatment for Mae. It initially reattached Mae's hydration, until a probate judge ordered differently. While the family goes back and forth, and apparently a probate judge sides with the grandaughter, this lady has received no nourishment since March 28.

The blogger carrying the story is unknown to me. To his or her credit, the blogger has corresponded by e-mail wth a nephew of the woman and he had suggests that a busy granddaughter who has been running errands for Mae, and has become estranged, is the engine behind this situation.

I hope this is just an ugly familysquabble involving avarice, and that all of this information is untrue.But, if this lady has a living will inplace, and if she is neither comatose, vegatative nor dying, then it needsto be addressed.TheCorner and Fr.Rob Johansen are wondering about it all, too. Ms. Lopez helpfully reminds me that it was, in fact, NRO, which warned, "Next time will be easier." Because of problems with Blogger, I may be behind the story a little, and there may be more to read. Musing Minds is following, as is an angry Dirty Harry.

freeandfun1 said:
It didn't take very long for the people to start using that the slippery sloap created by the Shiavo case.

For those of you that supported killing Terri, I hope you see what is happening now!
Free I doubt that anyone supported killing Terri Schiavo. I supported her right to die if that was indeed her wish and I believe that is the position of everyone on the opposite side of this question from you.

I disagree that the Schiavo case created any slippery slopes except the one created by foolish and inept legislative meddling. If the Schiavo case and this case prove anything it is the fact that we need to revamp our laws regarding the removal of either life support or feeding tubes.

Starving a cognitive person who is terminally ill is unconscionable unless that was the directive of the person with the terminal illness. The case you presented, if it turns out to be factual, is nothing short of an outrage and I don't think you will find many, if any, people arguing in favor of the granddaughter's actions.

So if you find a site which supports the revision of law in this area, I certainly would appreciate it if you would share it because I would like to add my voice to yours in opposition to this kind of treatment and in favor of more precise and comprehensive law.

I listened to the radio broadcast. I don't know who that chick was praying to, but if Jesus wanted Aunt Mae to come home to him, he would have called her himself!

I was reading some of the stuff on the net about this and I'm wondering if the media will be picking up on this soon. My husband said that Glenn Beck said he was going to call Sean Hannity,I wonder if he did.

Forum List

Back