Governor Rick Scott Vetoes Funds For Rape Crisis Centers

There is no information in this article other than typical Huff n Puff hit pieces.
What are the statistics of the centers and what was this additional money for???
Seems to me the Governor did his JOB.
They asked for $1.5 million ADDITIONAL taxpayer funds - but could not/would not tell him specifically what it was for.
That is his freaking job people!
Other Governors should only be this good. You ask for money - you should expect to be able to provide the specifics as to what it is for.
He did what he is elected to do - it is the rape centers that failed here.

I live down here in Florida and good for Scott. Hope he keeps right on questioning the use of tax dollars.

Works for me but then I'm not a freeloader.

Damn straight...this is just ANOTHER example of how people think like sheep, including those on the board here who jumped to conclusions...and also shows how biased media gets away with hit pieces when an answer to why - IS RIGHT IN THE ARTICLE.

I'm trying desperately to get my panties all in bunch...

Nope not working

yawn

Why are the tax payers paying for this to begin with? Shouldnt financial support come from individuals who care about these things? Charity is better than Robbery.

You do know that tax payers includes those who pay taxes, not just you GOP dumbasses, if I pay taxes why shouldn't I make use of my taxpayer dollars? Why shouldn't rape victims who pay taxes make use of their taxpayer dollars? The PEOPLE are the facking taxpayers.

Why are the tax payers paying for this to begin with? Shouldnt financial support come from individuals who care about these things? Charity is better than Robbery.

You do know that tax payers includes those who pay taxes, not just you GOP dumbasses, if I pay taxes why shouldn't I make use of my taxpayer dollars? Why shouldn't rape victims who pay taxes make use of their taxpayer dollars? The PEOPLE are the facking taxpayers.

See my post above....of course you won't comment on them because it makes you look bad.

There is no information in this article other than typical Huff n Puff hit pieces.
What are the statistics of the centers and what was this additional money for???
They asked for $1.5 million ADDITIONAL taxpayer funds - but could not/would not tell him specifically what it was for.
Other Governors should only be this good. You ask for money - you should expect to be able to provide the specifics as to what it is for.

I live down here in Florida and good for Scott. Hope he keeps right on questioning the use of tax dollars.

Aw fack you, you say good to anything thats GOP, even if it hurts you just so you enjoy GOP shatheads sticking it to Democrats and people you consider freeloaders. People who pay taxes and use tax payer funded services are not freeloaders.

Aw fack you, you say good to anything thats GOP, even if it hurts you just so you enjoy GOP shatheads sticking it to Democrats and people you consider freeloaders. People who pay taxes and use tax payer funded services are not freeloaders.

Look kid...it is real simple. This is not a Democrat/Republican thing. This is not a liberal/conservative issue either.
A taxpayer funded organization asked for $1.5 million of taxpayer money.
The Governor asked several times for what the money is for - they would not or could not tell him. So he didn't give it to them.
That is his f*cking job kid. And you morons are jumping around with your arms flying in the air crying foul. - HELLO - this is what responsible leaders are supposed to do.
Taxpayer funds don't fall from the sky and SHOULD be responsibly handled.
If only politicians in Washington would have the merit to ask what something is for.

Look kid...it is real simple. This is not a Democrat/Republican thing. This is not a liberal/conservative issue either.
The Governor asked several times for what the money is for - they would not or could not tell him. So he didn't give it to them.
That is his f*cking job kid. And you morons are jumping around with your arms flying in the air crying foul. - HELLO - this is what responsible leaders are supposed to do.
If only politicians in Washington would have the merit to ask what something is for.

Have to agree.

You actually should read the whole damned article.

"We say 'here's the need, here's the need, here's the need,' and frankly, nobody's paying any attention," she told HuffPost. "We gave them information about the number of new survivors we have and we showed them that these rape crisis centers have waiting lists. Survivors are having to wait weeks, sometimes six weeks, in some programs three months to be seen. We included quotes from the programs about the waiting lists and what services they weren't able to offer because of a lack of money. There is clearly an unmet need."

LMAO your such a douch bag.

You can fuck off any time. Thought your were laving. When ya going??

Why should the taxpayers be funding any of these programs?? You got a problem, see a phyciatrist.

Entirely to many programs that we taxpayers are funding.

"We say 'here's the need, here's the need, here's the need,' and frankly, nobody's paying any attention," she told HuffPost. "We gave them information about the number of new survivors we have and we showed them that these rape crisis centers have waiting lists. Survivors are having to wait weeks, sometimes six weeks, in some programs three months to be seen. We included quotes from the programs about the waiting lists and what services they weren't able to offer because of a lack of money. There is clearly an unmet need."

No.
That is not specifics. What they gave was general information. That is not a specific line item explanation. Try asking for $1.5 million as a business manager and see how far you get if you don't have well documented expense sheets, quotes...how many hours of labor/wages additional than now. How many people are going to be hired and what are they going to do. Is this to expand offices? Office furniture? WHAT IS THE MONEY FOR SPECIFICALLY LINE BY LINE??
Where did the figure of $1.5 million come from....the sky?

Last edited:

No.
That is not specifics. What they gave was general information. That is not a specific line item explanation. Try asking for $1.5 million as a business manager and see how far you get if you don't have well documented expense sheets, quotes...how many hours of labor/wages additional than now. How many people are going to be hired and what are they going to do. Is this to expand offices? Office furniture? WHAT IS THE MONEY FOR SPECIFICALLY LINE BY LINE??

But, but the government is not a business................the free money is there for the taking to be used how I see fit. We shouldn't be required to have accountability. We'll just raise taxes to offset some of the shortfall. :badgrin:

No.

Thats not enough? GTFO. When Republicans ask for taxcuts for so called trickle down bullshat do they give specific line item explanations? No. Fack off with your phoney arguments.

Scott cuts funding for rape crisis centers during Sexual Assault Awareness Month | Florida Independent

Scott cuts funding for rape crisis centers during Sexual Assault Awareness Month

On April 17, smack in the middle of Sexual Assault Awareness Month, Gov. Rick Scott vetoed $1.5 million for the Florida Council Against Sexual Violence. The Legislature allotted the funds to the organization in order to support 30 rape crisis centers as they face impending reductions in collections, which currently is the bulk of their budgets.

The cut to the Florida Council was just one of the many health projects that Scott used his line-item veto power to eliminate from this year’s $70 billion budget.

Jennifer Dritt, the executive director of the Florida Council, says she is “stunned” the funding was cut. She says the line-item was “new money” meant to ease the reduction in collections that rape crisis centers are facing.

According to the group’s website, due to legislation passed in 2003,

a $151 fine on certain convicted offenders is designated to this trust fund; however, significant revenue from this fine is not likely to be generated for several years. General revenue is needed to ensure that rape crisis centers are able to provide the basic services that most victims of sexual assault need. Victims of sexual assault can’t wait for offenders to be convicted and pay before they receive basic services.

Due to Florida’s recent economic problems, these collections continue to decrease. Dritt says that now, more than most years, the centers were in need of extra funding from the state.

Dritt says the individual centers could lose $30,000-$100,000, depending on their size.

Mostly, Dritt says, she is “confused.” The line-item met Scott’s criteria of being a statewide expenditure and was not identified as a “turkey” by Florida Tax Watch this year. Being included on Tax Watch’s list is typically a grim omen for any line-item.

“There must be some kind of disconnect,” Dritt says. According to her, “1.2 million women in Florida already have been victimized” and the funding would have helped the centers “double” the number of services they offer and the number of victims they serve.

Dritt says the program was “thoroughly vetted” in the Legislature and had the support of state Sen. Lizbeth Benacquisto, R-Fort Myers, and Rep. Chris Dorworth, R-Heathrow. According to her, the program “met the criteria” set forth by the governor for member projects.

“We are disappointed,” Dritt says. “We are really surprised and frankly stunned — [and] are trying to figure out what the heck happened.”

According to Dritt, she sent an email to the governor’s office explaining what the line-item would fund and had two short phone calls with someone in the governor’s office about the money. She says Scott’s subsequent veto led her to believe that for some reason all the evidence “did not make the state’s needs clear.”

Scott has said publicly that he stands by his vetoes because he believes the programs he eliminated “weren’t a good use of taxpayers’ money and did not serve a statewide need.” He has also said he “gave each project equal and fair consideration.”

Rape crisis centers are not good use of taxpayer money?

No.

Thats not enough? GTFO. When Republicans ask for taxcuts for so called trickle down bullshat do they give specific line item explanations? No. Fack off with your phoney arguments.

:lol::lol:
Sounds like a typical post of someone who doesn't pay income taxes.

Scott cuts funding for rape crisis centers during Sexual Assault Awareness Month | Florida Independent

Scott cuts funding for rape crisis centers during Sexual Assault Awareness Month

On April 17, smack in the middle of Sexual Assault Awareness Month, Gov. Rick Scott vetoed $1.5 million for the Florida Council Against Sexual Violence. The Legislature allotted the funds to the organization in order to support 30 rape crisis centers as they face impending reductions in collections, which currently is the bulk of their budgets.

The cut to the Florida Council was just one of the many health projects that Scott used his line-item veto power to eliminate from this year’s $70 billion budget.

Jennifer Dritt, the executive director of the Florida Council, says she is “stunned” the funding was cut. She says the line-item was “new money” meant to ease the reduction in collections that rape crisis centers are facing.

a $151 fine on certain convicted offenders is designated to this trust fund; however, significant revenue from this fine is not likely to be generated for several years. General revenue is needed to ensure that rape crisis centers are able to provide the basic services that most victims of sexual assault need. Victims of sexual assault can’t wait for offenders to be convicted and pay before they receive basic services.

Due to Florida’s recent economic problems, these collections continue to decrease. Dritt says that now, more than most years, the centers were in need of extra funding from the state.

Dritt says the individual centers could lose $30,000-$100,000, depending on their size.

Mostly, Dritt says, she is “confused.” The line-item met Scott’s criteria of being a statewide expenditure and was not identified as a “turkey” by Florida Tax Watch this year. Being included on Tax Watch’s list is typically a grim omen for any line-item.

“There must be some kind of disconnect,” Dritt says. According to her, “1.2 million women in Florida already have been victimized” and the funding would have helped the centers “double” the number of services they offer and the number of victims they serve.

Dritt says the program was “thoroughly vetted” in the Legislature and had the support of state Sen. Lizbeth Benacquisto, R-Fort Myers, and Rep. Chris Dorworth, R-Heathrow. According to her, the program “met the criteria” set forth by the governor for member projects.

“We are disappointed,” Dritt says. “We are really surprised and frankly stunned — [and] are trying to figure out what the heck happened.”

According to Dritt, she sent an email to the governor’s office explaining what the line-item would fund and had two short phone calls with someone in the governor’s office about the money. She says Scott’s subsequent veto led her to believe that for some reason all the evidence “did not make the state’s needs clear.”

Scott has said publicly that he stands by his vetoes because he believes the programs he eliminated “weren’t a good use of taxpayers’ money and did not serve a statewide need.” He has also said he “gave each project equal and fair consideration.”

Nobody is stopping you from making a donation. But when the government chooses to spend the taxpayers' money it has to be justified and respond to a government role. Apparently the State of Florida already fulfills its role in this respect.

No.

:lol::lol:
Sounds like a typical post of someone who doesn't pay income taxes.

I pay income taxes asswipe. I am a taxpayer.

Nobody is stopping you from making a donation. But when the government chooses to spend the taxpayers' money it has to be justified and respond to a government role. Apparently the State of Florida already fulfills its role in this respect.

It is justifiedc and met the criteria dumbass, the PEOPLE are the taxpayers not some separate entity. I am a taxpayer and have no problem with my money paying for rape crisis centers for rape victims, how the fack is that a waste of money?

It wasn't the State of Florida. It was governor Rick Scott. He, alone, vetoed the legislation.

The State approved of the funding.

Forum List

Back