Governor: Boycotts disappointing but won't change new law

Angelhair

Aug 22, 2009
:clap2:PHOENIX - Gov. Jan Brewer emphasized Wednesday that Arizona won't back away from its tough new law aimed at illegal immigrants even if boycotts take business from the state.

She said she is disappointed and surprised at the reaction - much of it from other states - and the calls to impose economic sanctions on Arizona.

"How could further punishing families and businesses, large and small, be a solution viewed as constructive?" she asked.

Brewer was speaking publicly at a summit of Arizona manufacturers, as were legislative leaders. A participant told them customers are threatening to boycott.

"This is all about illegal immigration and we need to get our borders secured," Brewer said, adding: "Even if it means loss of business."

She said just the cost of incarcerating illegal immigrants who have violated state laws costs taxpayers $100 million a year.

The governor said she has personally not heard any company express concerns about moving to Arizona in the wake of national publicity about the law.

But there have been inquiries about the new law at the Department of Commerce, the state agency charged with trying to persuade firms to move or expand in Arizona.

You go girl!!!

I wonder how she will feel when she finds out how much money this place will lose because we will lose the all star game next year.

MLK birthday all over again and we know how that turned out. She is so done.

I predict that all this talk about boycotting this or that will not come to pass. Arizonans should work towards kicking out the Shaptons and the Jacksons out of the state. That would be a great start! It's people like those two who exploit the illegals most of all.....without realizing or caring that illegal migration take jobs from the black community also. Turning latinos against latinos is not too bright. AZ has approximately 1,950,000 latinos and if these boycotts take place, it will hurt them the most!

Silly little angel ,

Thiks boycott hurts the republicans and the people in Arizona who like the law.

The Latinos are standing up for themselfs.

You just dont care about the latinos in your state even the MANY latinos whos familys have been Americans longer than your own.

BTW this is still America and you cant KICK people out of your state because you dont like their ideas.

Silly little angel ,

You just dont care about the latinos in your state even the MANY latinos whos familys have been Americans longer than your own.

BTW this is still America and you cant KICK people out of your state because you dont like their ideas.

What about "Illegal" Immigrant don't you understand?

Again let me say this, okay your against SB-1070, one of the things that makes this nation so great is our ability to disagree and yet remain a nation. So if your on the side of those that tend to an excuse me if I say this (wrongly) disagree with the new Arizona law and advocate for boycotts then what you are basically saying is the following. I disagree with the law so therefor I have decided to support those states and companies, take you pick that wish to cause harm to the very people I and claiming to support because of they will be the first ones to suffer in a boycott. Who exactly do you think cooks those hotdogs at that All-Star game, and passes out that popcorn, and sells those T-shirts, and cleans those hotels rooms that will not not be filled because of a boycott? Some counties and cities that have called for a boycott of Arizona I find rather amusing , why because it would seem that they would be more interested in ficing their own mess for their citizens than a state that is miiles away from them. Take for example California, let's see, isn't this the state that the city of Berkley supported kicking the US Marines out ? or perhaps San Francisco, you know them, thats the city that did not want the USS Iowa as a memorial to the tens of thosands of Americans who gave their lives in WW2 because it represented something bad, or perhaps making an attempt at a ban on the Blue Angels because of the same argument, so yes, when I hear these sorts of things from California especially I tend to take into consideration the source and look at it this way. The boycott they speak of would be the same if Arizona passed a law that allowed for it's officers to arrest for any number of Federal crimes, among them, Murder, White Collar Crime, RICO violations, etc. Oh I almost forgot they already do that and do that in the same states that are advocating a boycott for Arizona. I do hate to keep pointing this out, but illegal immgration is a FEDERAL crime if the issue is with the crime itself then direct your efforts to changing the law not the states that wish to enforce the law and stop punishing the people you claim to support with boycotts as an attention getter.

Super Bowl XXVII - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The NFL, which had an increasing percentage of African American players, and urged by the NFL Players' Association, voted to yank Super Bowl XXVII from Arizona, and awarded it instead to the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California. A citizens coalition called 'Arizonans for a Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday,' lead by Reverend Warren H. Stewart Sr., organized to bring all sides together in a campaign call 'Victory Together One Clear Choice.' Two years after the loss of more the $350 million in major convention business and the 1993 Super Bowl, Arizona became the first and only state to popularly vote for and pass a Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. State Holiday.
loss of more the $350 million in major convention business and the 1993 Super Bowl
Faced with the boycott, Arizona voters finally approved the holiday by ballot in 1992, and on March 23, 1993, the NFL awarded Super Bowl XXX (1996) to Tempe.

Last edited:
Silly little angel ,

Maybe - but - it will hurt employees the most - and AZ has a large number of latino employees.

Yes, but many are FOR this law. The media will not report about THOSE!

It's because I DO care about latinos that I am for this law - and I also care about the innocent people in AZ and across the USA who are being hurt by illegal entry. You forget or seem to ignore that 70% of the people in AZ are FOR this law - among them many, many latinos!

No, of course you can't...but you can force them out by 'boycotting' them! Stop attending their rallys and their meetings and stop listening to their rhetoric that inflames and divides more than helps.

Angel you dont get to claim what latinos believe , they do.

They are NOT for this law.

Neither are many whites like me.

The boycot will work and your state will lose Millions for your racism just like you did back in the 80s over the MLK ban

Once more, 350 million dollar boycott caused who to suffer the most, the people that actually supported MLK Day or the businesses that lost revenue. I'm not aware of any businesses that voted in that election, but am aware of many people who did. All this is, is advocating for the job loss of those that you claim to support and nothing more in order to further a particular view that is not shared by most of this state. Frankly, the All-Star game can go if you ask me, and would not change a thing , however it will hurt a lot of peeople and not busniesses and thats what boycotts do.

I see, but YOU can.

But many whites like YOU do care for it.

The boycot will work and your state will lose Millions for your racism just like you did back in the 80s over the MLK ban
You are comparing apples to oranges - this boycott will not get off the ground - not as many will boycott AZ on this issue.

Boycotts don't work.

How long has the U.S. been boycotting Cuba?

Boycotts do work, very well. Cuba is a poor example, given that the only country to boycott Cuba is the U.S.

I think I'll schedule a grand canyon trip. I've been trying for years to get the permits to do a rim to rim hike. Now that all you idiots will be boycotting, I should have no trouble.

This Arizona law is just that, a law, it is not racially motiviated or political and is only attempting to enforce a federal law that has been neglected by our federal government. As Navy has pointed out, if you think the law is unjust or racially motivated then contact your Congressmen and petition to have the current federal law changed. Governor Brewer is a brave woman who only wants what is right for the citizens of her great state.

I wonder how she will feel when she finds out how much money this place will lose because we will lose the all star game next year.

Zona - I do not live in Arizona and will not presume to know, but how much money does your state lose due to medical care of illegal aliens? How much does your state lose due to criminal offenses commited by illegal aliens? How much does your state lose due to drug related criminal offenses? If I am so bold to surmise, it is far greater than that which would be lost due to the relocation of the all star game.

Truthmatters - From what I have seen, there is not one single unbiased poll to show what the current opinions are of Arizonians regarding the Arizona law. Unless you have canvassed your entire state, I dare say that you can not presume to know what Arizonians believe. Also, why is that opponents of the Arizona law were not outraged by the current federal law? I have never seen a crowd of angry immigrants or illegal aliens protesting in front of an immigration office when an immigrant is handed thier immigration papers and told that they must carry thier paperwork at all times. Our current and past politicians have failed us by not enforcing the current federal law and have created an immigration policy that is unsustainable. Arizona had to step up and do something to curb violence, drug smuggling and an influx of non-tax revenue generating mass of illegal aliens.

Unfortunatly, the majority of Americans today only listen to the biased political rhetoric that threatens to divide our country even further. Do not align yourself with men whom seem predetermined to divide our great Union; rather stand in the center and judge what is right based on reason and the rule of law.

:clap2:PHOENIX - Gov. Jan Brewer emphasized Wednesday that Arizona won't back away from its tough new law aimed at illegal immigrants even if boycotts take business from the state.

She said she is disappointed and surprised at the reaction - much of it from other states - and the calls to impose economic sanctions on Arizona.

"How could further punishing families and businesses, large and small, be a solution viewed as constructive?" she asked.

Brewer was speaking publicly at a summit of Arizona manufacturers, as were legislative leaders. A participant told them customers are threatening to boycott.

"This is all about illegal immigration and we need to get our borders secured," Brewer said, adding: "Even if it means loss of business."

She said just the cost of incarcerating illegal immigrants who have violated state laws costs taxpayers $100 million a year.

The governor said she has personally not heard any company express concerns about moving to Arizona in the wake of national publicity about the law.

But there have been inquiries about the new law at the Department of Commerce, the state agency charged with trying to persuade firms to move or expand in Arizona.

You go girl!!!
Arizona is looking better and better for a place to retire.

I predict that all this talk about boycotting this or that will not come to pass. Arizonans should work towards kicking out the Shaptons and the Jacksons out of the state. That would be a great start! It's people like those two who exploit the illegals most of all.....without realizing or caring that illegal migration take jobs from the black community also. Turning latinos against latinos is not too bright. AZ has approximately 1,950,000 latinos and if these boycotts take place, it will hurt them the most!

Still haven't heard Sharpton apologize for what happened to the Duke Lacrosse team.

Silly little angel ,

Bulcrap. If that were so, they would have been out there protesting the arrest of Ramos and Compean, two of their own that were put in jail for doing their jobs. Even more latinos are in the BP and some of them have been arrested as well. The illegals are standing up for themselves. There are many Americans of Latino decent that are just as upset about the border situation as the rest of us.

Forum List

Back