Gov. Jerry Brown signs assisted-death bill in CA

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Governor Brown signs Right to Die Bill for California, to take effect Jan. 1. It's about time.

Gov. Jerry Brown signs assisted-death bill

Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill Monday giving terminally ill Californians the right to be prescribed a lethal dose of drugs, saying in a highly personal statement that he had reflected “on what I would want in the face of my own death” and decided that those in such situations should have the choice.
<more>

commies were always big on population control. so why not I guess.

I wonder if Moonbeam will demonstrate how it works? sheesh

does the people living in that state have say in anything anymore?

commies were always big on population control. so why not I guess.

I wonder if Moonbeam will demonstrate how it works? sheesh

does the people living in that state have say in anything anymore?

It is a choice you stupid trailer dwelling inbred

California doctors skittish about assisted suicide...
confused.gif

Lethal drugs unnerve California doctors
Sun, Jun 05, 2016 - Terry Petrovich asked her oncologist point blank: “Am I going to count on you to help me achieve a good death?”
To her relief, he told her he would have no problem prescribing a lethal dose of drugs under California’s new law allowing such prescriptions for the terminally ill. However, many in California’s medical community are grappling with the law that goes into effect on Thursday. Some physicians have told their patients they are not willing to play a role in intentionally ending a person’s life. Catholic hospitals will not provide the prescriptions because it goes against the church’s stance on the issue, according to the Alliance of Catholic Health Care, which represents 48 facilities, 27 of which provide hospice services. However, the organization cannot bar its affiliated physicians from talking about it, or referring patients to medical offices willing to prescribe such drugs.

Petrovich was diagnosed in 2012 with stage four non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma that has spread to her bone marrow. “I’m not suicidal by any means,” said Petrovich, wearing a “Stupid Cancer Get Busy Living” T-shirt. “I want to keep hiking keep loving my dog, just keep living until I can’t anymore — and then I want that option.” She fought for passage of the law after identifying with 29-year-old California resident Brittany Maynard, who was dying from brain cancer and moved to Oregon in 2014, the first state to make it legal, so she could take the drugs to end her suffering.

P07-160605-324r.jpg

Terry Petrovich on May 18 smiles in her home in Jamul, California​

California has more safeguards than the four other US states — Oregon, Washington, Vermont and Montana — where it is allowed. Still there are concerns it will lead to hasty decisions, misdiagnoses and waning support for palliative care, in which dying people can be sedated to relieve suffering. “I think everyone has that personal, ethical dilemma because we’re not really taught in medical school to cause someone’s death, and yet we certainly think society is moving toward wanting the option,” said Daniel Mirda of the Association of Northern California Oncologists.

Mirda opposed the bill because he did not think it was a doctor’s place to weigh in, but now he plans to decide on a case by case basis. “The majority of physicians, it seems, are neutral, nervous, not comfortable prescribing it, but are not going to stop someone from seeking out another physician for help to do this,” he said. California Hospital Association vice president of external affairs Jan Emerson-Shea said a terminally ill person is more likely to be prescribed the medicine when they are at home or in a hospice setting and not in a hospital. It is not known when the first prescription could be written. Patients must be given six months or less to live, make two verbal requests within 15 days of each other and submit a written request.

MORE

In case pot heads were in a freaking coma since Jerry Brown was elected it ain't about dying. It's about "legally" hiring people to kill the inconvenient holdouts in estate claims. The next reality show might feature the technicians who made it possible for heirs to win the big one. It's kind of sad in modern pop-culture America that they would be so concerned about the pain or discomfort of condemned prisoners but authorize some pervert with a trunk full of chemical concoctions to execute uncle Ralph.

Governor Brown signs Right to Die Bill for California, to take effect Jan. 1. It's about time.

Gov. Jerry Brown signs assisted-death bill

Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill Monday giving terminally ill Californians the right to be prescribed a lethal dose of drugs, saying in a highly personal statement that he had reflected “on what I would want in the face of my own death” and decided that those in such situations should have the choice.
<more>

Since you far left drones are so glad about this, how many of you will be moving to California and participating in this?

2 to 1: Americans, Majority of Christians Say Physician-Assisted Suicide is ‘Morally Acceptable’...
icon_cool.gif

Survey: Two-Thirds of Americans, Majority of Christians Say Physician-Assisted Suicide is ‘Morally Acceptable’
December 8, 2016 | A recent survey by LifeWay Research reported that 67 percent of Americans believe it is morally acceptable for a terminally-ill patient to seek a doctor’s help in ending their life - including a majority who call themselves Christians.
Even though the American Medical Association has called physician-assisted suicide “fundamentally incompatible with a physician’s role as healer”, the survey found that “7 out of 10 agree that physicians should be allowed to assist terminally-ill patients in ending their life,” according to the survey of 1,000 Americans, which was conducted between September 27th and October 1st. “Traditional Christian teaching says that God holds the keys to life and death,” said Scott McConnell, executive director of LifeWay Research. “Those who go to church or hold more traditional beliefs are less likely to see assisted suicide as morally acceptable. Still, a surprising number do,” he added.

More than half of the religious people surveyed, including Catholics (70 %), Protestants (53%), Orthodox (59%), and members of non-denominational churches (59%) said they believe the practice of physician-assisted suicide is morally acceptable. The 76 percent of those who attend religious services less than once a month also agreed. The survey findings were similar to a May 2015 Gallup survey that found that almost 68 percent of Americans believed that doctors should legally be allowed to assist their patients in committing suicide.

However, according to Ryan Anderson of the Heritage Foundation’s DeVos Center for Religion and Civil Society, physician -assisted suicide puts ill and marginalized people in a very vulnerable position. “First, PAS (physician-assisted suicide) endangers the weak and marginalized in society. Where it has been allowed, safeguards purporting to minimize this risk have proved to be inadequate and have often been watered down or eliminated over time,” Anderson pointed out. “People who deserve society’s assistance are instead offered accelerated death,” he added.

Anderson also said that physician-assisted suicide “threatens to fundamentally distort the doctor—patient relationship because it reduces patients’ trust of doctors and doctors’ undivided commitment to the life and health of their patients. “Doctors should help their patients die a dignified natural death, but doctors should not assist in killing or self-killing. Physicians are always to care, never to kill,” he stated. Currently, physician- assisted suicide is legal in Colorado, California, Oregon, Washington, Vermont, and Montana.

According to a November press release from Compassion & Choices, a non-profit organization that advocates physician-assisted suicide, Washington D.C. “is poised to become the seventh jurisdiction in the U.S. where medical aid in dying is authorized for terminally ill residents after the D.C. Council passed the D.C. Death with Dignity Act by a veto-proof 11-2 margin.” The bill’s passage “demonstrates strong public support across jurisdictions of diverse sizes, demographics and locations,” the group said. However, McConnell said that physician- assisted suicide “raises troublesome questions.” “Such requests are asking doctors to betray one of their most sacred oaths -- which admits, ‘It may also be within my power to take a life,’ but includes ‘I must not play God',” he said.

Survey: Two-Thirds of Americans, Majority of Christians Say Physician-Assisted Suicide is ‘Morally Acceptable’

I don't want to be a financial or physiological burden on my family so if it comes to that point I want to check out but this is something I believe should be planned well in advance and put down in a legal document with a court witness. If not these things could turn out like a bad Monty Python skit

Forum List

Back