Gotham: Urban Kingpin (Vigilantism Debate)

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
All the anti-TrumpUSA street protests made me think about modern urban depression.

So this yarn was inspired by American Me.

Signing off,

====

Two-Face looked at his wrist-watch. It was midnight in Gotham City. He grabbed his London Fog trench-coat and his lucky coin and headed out with this Magnum pistol. Two-Face was headed to the GCPD. He was simply going to walk into the police station, pull out his gun, and shoot the new commissioner (Fred Trump) in the face. Why? Two-Face had become unhinged about the developments in Gotham regarding new financial visions such as the building of a shopping mall on an old cemetery. Two-Face blamed Commissioner Trump for every capitalism vice in Gotham. He even reasoned that Trump was to blame for this terrible acid-wash accident on his face, rendering half of it completely burned. Two-Face remembered, if for just one moment, a time when he was a sane Gotham lawyer named Harvey Dent. He quickly stopped daydreaming and started walking towards the GCPD with his handy-dandy gun.

2face1.jpg

A journalist once wrote, "Gotham has the promise to be a well for trade and traffic, even if the human flesh might corrupt it into something cliched or 'boringly criminal'." Gotham was once indeed a place for great commerce, but over the years, all kinds of crime syndicates and mafia bosses and unscrupulous cops/officials/mayors had turned it into a crime cesspool, which is why the valiant vigilante known as 'Batman' (secretly Gotham's socialite-businessman Bruce Wayne) was considered to be by many a godsend, even though the eccentric 'urban hero' dressed up like a man-bat(!). Two-Face was Batman's foil, a complete rogue and punisher, an unforgiving 'executor' of vengeful instincts rather than idealistic notions. As Two-Face proceeded towards the GCDP, he was suddenly stopped by a strange-looking nun who had a red Christian cross printed on her forehead. She demanded to know why he looked so intent, and he told her, "Don't ask."

2face3.jpg

TWO-FACE: Why are you so curious about how I look?
NUN: You have the face of a deliberate psycho...
TWO-FACE: Well, if you 'need' to know, I intend to shoot Fred Trump tonight.
NUN: With a camera?
TWO-FACE: With a gun...
NUN: What?
TWO-FACE: Hey, I'm only kidding(!).
NUN: Why is 1/2 of your face covered-up?
TWO-FACE: I had a kitchen-accident this morning.
NUN: Oh. For a moment there, I thought you might be Two-Face (the criminal).
TWO-FACE: Nah, Batman deals with Two-Face anyway. I'm just a fella...
NUN: Well, incidentally, what do you think about vigilantism (in general)?
TWO-FACE: Why do you ask?
NUN: I had goosebumps you might be Two-Face and suddenly started thinking about justice.
TWO-FACE: That's what's great about Catholic nuns...they make justice chats more civil!
NUN: Well, that's a nice compliment (I think); but what if I told you I was a serial-killer?
TWO-FACE: An evil nun, eh? Well, I'm not in the mood to pry into your imagination now.
NUN: But seriously, do you have some random thoughts about vigilantism you'd like to share?
TWO-FACE: Alright; I think Batman is naïve in some ways; crime requires swift deeds.
NUN: So you have very little patience with the 'normal' justice/legal system?
TWO-FACE: Yeah; well, a little; I mean, look what happened to Harvey Dent.
NUN: Mr. Dent was a promising lawyer in Gotham until that acid-splash made him evil.
TWO-FACE: He became a 'rogue vigilante' --- everything Batman fears...
NUN: Yes, Batman is much more an 'angel of the city.'
TWO-FACE: Batman will meet a horrible end because of all his untimely idealism.
NUN: Every city requires idealists, vigilantes and criminals alike!
TWO-FACE: Crime is not an ideal, it is merely the sign of the presence of ugliness.
NUN: If I was a serial-killer, would you feel awkward about the Church?
TWO-FACE: I get the eerie feeling you really are a serial-killer, but I have to depart now.
NUN: Well (whoever you are); remember this --- tonight we chatted about patience.

2face2.jpg

After this unusual 'chat' with the strange nun Two-Face encountered on his way to the GCPD that night, he couldn't help thinking about some of the considerations/thoughts that sprang up regarding vigilantism in the modern American city. Was there hope? Was Batman 'something' positive or enlightening? Two-Face continued to wonder if the eccentric nun he crossed paths with was some kind of stranger or even psychopath, just like him, since she kept making jokes about it. Maybe she was telling him about Gotham/Batman, since she herself was displeased with justice/sanity in the city, just like him. Two-Face decided not to kill Commissioner Trump that night, having felt strangely 'uplifted' by his conversation with the eccentric nun who managed to compel him, Harvey Dent, to think about the ambiguities of human frailty.

====

:1peleas:

Forum List

Back