GOP skeptics holding out for late-entry hero to save 2012?

VaYank5150

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2009
Virginia
What were once murmurs about a late entry by a candidate into the Republican presidential primary or a potential convention fight for the nomination have become a topic of open speculation in the GOP, reflecting concerns about the party’s existing crop of competitors.

Odds remain heavily stacked against the party arriving at its convention without a nominee, but the remaining candidates face lingering doubts about their strength versus President Barack Obama ... and that's fueling discussion that some kind of “knight in shining armor” could, or should, ride in to “save” the GOP at the last moment.

Mitt Romney in particular is facing fresh doubts about his ability to take the reins in the Republican primary after failing to win several recent caucus contests. Now Romney appears to be at risk of losing next Tuesday’s primary in his native Michigan to Rick Santorum.

Advertise | AdChoicesRomney has failed to seal the deal in a series of key primaries and caucuses over the month and a half, struggling to win over skeptical conservatives. Santorum, in turn, has rallied those conservatives to score victories which stymied Romney’s momentum, but did nothing to quell doubts about the former Pennsylvania senator’s ability to square off against Obama in November.

The speculation -- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who’s endorsed Romney, acknowledged Wednesday that he’s still facing pressure to wage his own campaign -- may well reach a fever pitch after Super Tuesday on March 6.

If the race between Romney, Santorum, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Texas Rep. Ron Paul remains stalemated and no single candidate is able to amass the number of delegates needed to clinch the nomination, talk will grow louder about a once-unthinkable possibility: a contested, or brokered, convention and the potential for a new candidate to be added to the mix.

"Anything's possible. I think it's unlikely," Romney said earlier this month on FOX News, addressing the possibility of a contested convention.

"I must say I'd be a little surprised if we went all the way to August or September until we had a nominee. That would be unusual. Is it mathematically possible? Yeah, but usually one or the other candidates runs out of money, runs out of support, and someone else is able to garner the delegates needed for the nomination," Romney said.

Gingrich, who’s vowed to fight all the way to the convention, was more sanguine Wednesday morning on FOX News: “I think it may go all the way to Tampa. I think this may be the most open nominating process we've seen since 1940.”

NBC Politics - GOP skeptics holding out for late-entry hero to save 2012?

The drums beat ever louder.....

When your 'best' options are Romney or Santorum I'd want a new entry too. Pathetic really. Anyone with half a brain in the GOP is steering clear because they know the writing is on the wall. Save the energy for 2016 when they have an actual fighting chance.

Forum List

Back