GOP Seen as Principled, But Out of Touch and Too Extreme

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
At a time when the Republican Party’s image is at a historic low, 62% of the public says the GOP is out of touch with the American people, 56% think it is not open to change and 52% say the party is too extreme.
Opinions about the Democratic Party are mixed, but the party is viewed more positively than the GOP in every dimension tested except one. Somewhat more say the Republican Party than the Democratic Party has strong principles (63% vs. 57%).

The national survey by the Pew Research Center, conducted Feb. 13-18 among 1,504 adults, comes at a time when Republican leaders are debating the party’s future in the wake of Barack Obama’s reelection. The Republican Party’s image has been hit hard over the past decade. In January, just 33% said they viewed the party favorably, among the lowest marks of the last 20 years. The GOP’s favorable rating has not been above 50% since shortly after George W. Bush’s reelection in 2004.

GOP Seen as Principled, But Out of Touch and Too Extreme | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

The trouble with "principles" are that they give people an excuse to not have to think. They just have to go over a check list. Everybody has principles, doesn't mean they're all good or that sticking to them at all times is the right thing to do. Mahatma Gandhi, Adolf Hitler, Pope John Paul II, Josef Stalin and Ronald Reagan all had principles.

I think there are plenty of Republicans who are perfectly sane.

Problem is, they're currently being shouted down by those who aren't.

You're correct to a degree, but it's more than just being shouted down by the nut jobs in their party....

Their SILENCE speaks volumes and when they don't speak up and speak out against the extremist in their party, it comes off as if they condone their actions.. And that's the biggest problem I see.

Joe Scarborough who I happen to disagree with more than agree is fighting hard for the soul and return of a sane Republican party, but it seems he's a lone voice in this "echo chamber" of pure bullshit coming from the likes of Sean, etc.

Forum List

Back