GOP Rep. Barton Apologizes to BP

Well, remember folks, :lol::lol:, WE, collectively, put all these people into office at every election. When push comes to shove, who is REALLY responsible for the 'end result'? Both,the 'elected' and the voter, or just the 'elected', on the condition that the 'elected' didn't lie and mislead the voters in their campaign ads etc. We vote using their 'promises' and positions on various issues.

Maybe instead of the majority voting 'on-the-fly' in between TV shows and the entertainment media, we can begin something new. Researching the candidates past, and present and their performances and reviewing more than some 60 second media speeches they blitz us with.

Most of our problems today are because many non-thinkers are voting people into office. That is of course on the premise that the candidates don't change party affiliations or issue stances in mid-course. Much of the deep-water drilling 'laws' come from our own government.

I guess we all have gotten what we 'wanted', hell, we voted for 'them', take your pick.
In many cases, it's our fault.............that is all :clap2:

Oh, yes it was a shakedown..........so what, Thier results in drilling and ours to a degree, have destroyed much of the local if not greater, of the environment, and the human toll is just beginning. Maybe $20 Billion per month should be the payment plan for recovery.

This is more than just a 'Wakeup Call"

Well, remember folks, :lol::lol:, WE, collectively, put all these people into office at every election. When push comes to shove, who is REALLY responsible for the 'end result'? Both,the 'elected' and the voter, or just the 'elected', on the condition that the 'elected' didn't lie and mislead the voters in their campaign ads etc. We vote using their 'promises' and positions on various issues.

Maybe instead of the majority voting 'on-the-fly' in between TV shows and the entertainment media, we can begin something new. Researching the candidates past, and present and their performances and reviewing more than some 60 second media speeches they blitz us with.

Most of our problems today are because many non-thinkers are voting people into office. That is of course on the premise that the candidates don't change party affiliations or issue stances in mid-course. Much of the deep-water drilling 'laws' come from our own government.

I guess we all have gotten what we 'wanted', hell, we voted for 'them', take your pick.
In many cases, it's our fault.............that is all :clap2:

Oh, yes it was a shakedown..........so what, Thier results in drilling and ours to a degree, have destroyed much of the local if not greater, of the environment, and the human toll is just beginning. Maybe $20 Billion per month should be the payment plan for recovery.

This is more than just a 'Wakeup Call"

So you're on the side of "Obama *DID* make BP put $20B in escrow"

ALL HAIL OUR NEW ALL POWERFUL RULER!!!

our agenda is working!!

He's right. It was a shakedown. Once again obie wan has circumvented the law. US law states BP's liability is no greater than 75 million dollars.

OK, we'll raise your taxes first for the gubmint to clean up BP's mess.

we're going to have to do it. rest assured, BP will be forced into bankruptcy and you'll be left holding the broom.. count on it.

He's right. It was a shakedown. Once again obie wan has circumvented the law. US law states BP's liability is no greater than 75 million dollars.

OK, we'll raise your taxes first for the gubmint to clean up BP's mess.

we're going to have to do it. rest assured, BP will be forced into bankruptcy and you'll be left holding the broom.. count on it.

THAT, might be an unfortunate result, no matter what we all are going to pay big time.

If I were him I would not have directed the apology at BP, I would have apologized to the American people on Obama's Behalf. For Obama once again acting like he is a king not a president, and can Order anyone to cough up 20 billion dollars with out first having them found liable in a court of law.

Don't get me wrong I want BP to pay, but I also want a president who respects the Law and constitution, and is not constantly abusing his power, and basically behaving like a bully.

Then before you complain, you should learn what the law is?

Rep. Barton just attempted to "clarify" his statement. Apparently the GOP jumped all over his ass.

A lot of the opposition to Obama is simply because he is Obama. It is irrational and unfounded. He negotiates a $20 billion fund to ensure the residents of the gulf coast can collect on damages and you complain. If he had asked congress for a tax increas to cover the cost of the clean, you'd complain. But you've convinced yourself that you're opposing him on policy. Yeah, right........

I wonder is Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida will vote republican in 2010 and 2012.

Hmm well it was the Obama admin that gave the deep water horizon a safety award, and it was the Obama admin that has dropped the ball on the reaction to the spill. It was Liberals and Democrats who have forced companies like BP to drill in 5000 feet of water instead of 500 and then tried to tell us all it because were running out of oil, when in fact it is because the government will not permit them to drill shallower. It was obama who reacted by shutting down deep water drilling in the gulf and putting 10's of thousands in the area out of work. It was Obama who didn't answer calls for weeks and failed to even Meet BP for 8 weeks.

You really think these deep south states are going to vote Democrat over this?

You people really do live in a dream word.

Technically, you're correct. It was done after Obama assumed the presidency. But it was done before he had anyone in place at MMS. It was the Bush left overs that made the decision to give them the safety award.

Last edited:
I wonder is Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida will vote republican in 2010 and 2012.

Hmm well it was the Obama admin that gave the deep water horizon a safety award, and it was the Obama admin that has dropped the ball on the reaction to the spill. It was Liberals and Democrats who have forced companies like BP to drill in 5000 feet of water instead of 500 and then tried to tell us all it because were running out of oil, when in fact it is because the government will not permit them to drill shallower. It was obama who reacted by shutting down deep water drilling in the gulf and putting 10's of thousands in the area out of work. It was Obama who didn't answer calls for weeks and failed to even Meet BP for 8 weeks.

You really think these deep south states are going to vote Democrat over this?

You people really do live in a dream word.

Technically, you're correct. It was don't after Obama assumed the presidency. But it was done before he had anyone in place at MMS. It was the Bush left overs that made the decision to give them the safety award.

yes, but they're pathological liars. they can't help it.

What a fucktard.

I thought BP did that out of the goodness of their heart, btw. Obama has no power to make them do it.

You are right he has no legal power to make them, though he seems to think he does, But he does have the power of the bully pulpit. BP agreed to this under duress at best. Why can we not go the normal route of a Civil trail and find them liable and make them pay. Why must Obama act like he is some kind of King who can order people around.

That is the word he used you know. "I have Ordered BP to set up a fund" those are his words.

But he didn't "make" them do it, he just threatened them with criminal prosecution publicly, and who knows what else privately, which makes this extortion.

The obtaining of property from another induced by wrongful use of actual or threatened force, violence, or fear, or under color of official right.

you know, he's not the first person i saw lie about that. someone actually posted an article with that heading and there wasn't anything about an award i there.

do they really think no one factchecks them?

Would that be the thread where I posted a pic of the actual award after someone came in and said it didn't exist? It was amazing how all the Obamazoids left after I did that. Would you like me to post it again?

MMS_Award.png

I took the silence to mean yes.

you know, he's not the first person i saw lie about that. someone actually posted an article with that heading and there wasn't anything about an award i there.

It's not that they think no one will fact check them; It's that they have no idea what fact checking is.

If they did, do you think they'd say such stupid things

See my post above this one.

Would that be the thread where I posted a pic of the actual award after someone came in and said it didn't exist? It was amazing how all the Obamazoids left after I did that. Would you like me to post it again?

MMS_Award.png

I took the silence to mean yes.

Ummm, look at the date :lol:

Last edited:
Technically, you're correct. It was done after Obama assumed the presidency. But it was done before he had anyone in place at MMS. It was the Bush left overs that made the decision to give them the safety award.

I hate to burst your blame Bush bubble, (I don't actually, but I am trying to appear nice) but most of the people in MMS are career bureaucrats, and the last guy to inspect Deepwater Horizon was a rookie.

What a fucktard.

I thought BP did that out of the goodness of their heart, btw. Obama has no power to make them do it.

You are right he has no legal power to make them, though he seems to think he does, But he does have the power of the bully pulpit. BP agreed to this under duress at best. Why can we not go the normal route of a Civil trail and find them liable and make them pay. Why must Obama act like he is some kind of King who can order people around.

That is the word he used you know. "I have Ordered BP to set up a fund" those are his words.

But he didn't "make" them do it, he just threatened them with criminal prosecution publicly, and who knows what else privately, which makes this extortion.

The obtaining of property from another induced by wrongful use of actual or threatened force, violence, or fear, or under color of official right.

Since we're guessing at what happened behind closed doors, I think he told BP to set up the fund as a way of satisfying conditions in the Oil Pollution Act of 1990, which states the polluter shall be responsible for clean up and damages. In a way, this will save BP money (which is probably why they agreed to it) there are no attorney fees in the $20 billion. If they had to defend lawsuits on this spill, they would probably pay more with attorney fees on top of that.

Forum List

Back