GOP Overplayed It's Hand /America and The Tea Party = Losers

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dante, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Dante

Dante On leave Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    What has happened? I will use a holistic approach to frame the context.

If reason and rationality are valued, an honest accounting of what actually happened must include, an acknowledgment of the validity of the frustration and anger of the original Tea Party rally attendees. What also must be acknowledged is the fact that fringe groups and individuals aligned themselves with these everyday, average people who attended the rallies. And still more must be acknowledged: main stream groups like the one run by Tom Delay, were providing assistance and guidance early on. A movement was in the making, that is true, but there is more to this than a ground up movement---much as there was more to the Obama movement early on in the primary campaign. I believe both involved the heavy use of astroturfing. (more on this later)

What the Tea Party movement became, and the how it became what it has, is an interesting case study in political movements in this new age of constant noise and manipulation by the media. The media and others are using the latest technology available to meet our expectations of immediate gratification. Those who manipulate, know this and do/use it well.

Take what I have observed as the faux GOP outrage and hysteria at Democrats using parliamentary rules to achieve ends. The GOP drove some people crazy doing the very same during the years they ruled---years they would use rules in ways that strained boundaries.

The GOP has played a game with the Tea Party movement that is nothing more than a tool for regaining power. Don't take only my word for this:
    -David Frum News - The New York Times
    David Frum/American Enterprise Institute

The GOP has been playing a game that looks to winning extra seats in Congress and elsewhere and not on of shaping "the most important piece of social legislation since the 1960s" which is what they were elected to do.

For the past few decades the GOP has been all about power and the heck with their base constituencies and others. Party over Country.

:cool:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    I think your right.

The GOP has stabbed istelf in the stomach here.

They thought they could stop it and now they are at a loss at where to go next.

They really screwed themselves this time.

3. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    I wonder how Boehner is explaining the fact that our country didn't implode just because Healthcare Reform legislation passed? If anyone didn't see him as a liar before, they sure must now...

4. Oldandtired

Oldandtired BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +349
    It is rare we see eye to eye, but I agree with much you say here.

However, I noticed that you only mnetion this as an issue with the GOP.

It is not. Sadly the DEMS were so much wrapped up in party over country, they have opened a pandoras box that may never be closed...and as with the tea partyers, the democratic party has many on the left ignoring how the people are not necessartily being served...they are strictly the benefactors of an agenda....

The fact that many saw no problem with the gaming the game we just saw is proof of this. It opened the door for the GOP to game the game as well when they have the power to do so...and the partisnashiop on the left allowed this door to open....just as the arrogance of the right allowed the GOP to get away with things...that we now see are being applied to more pertinent legislation.

I do not know if it was a typo...but your tilte says America and the TP's are the losers.

I agree......we all lose. The political partys are the only winners.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Oldandtired

Oldandtired BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Why? Only the most naive wouldnot know that any change in a lifestyle or our country will not be noticeable for years.

Boehner ceertainly did not say the sun aint gonna rise on Monday.

6. LibocalypseNow

LibocalypseNow Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,357
    I disagree. They did all they could. They just didn't have the numbers in the end. This Dem-led Congress is by far the dirtiest Congress i've ever seen. They pulled out every dirty trick imaginable to pass their debacle. The Republicans stood up and fought but in the end just didn't have the numbers. For the first time in years i'm actually proud of the Republican Party. This Bill is just wrong for the country on so many levels. People will begin to realize that in the coming years. When the IRS comes knocking for those unpaid fines or "taxes" for not buying Health Insurance,i think that's when it's going to hit home for many Americans who just weren't paying attention to what the Democrats did. I actually applaud the Republicans. Worst U.S. Congress in History? You bet.

7. Zona

Zona A guy in ariZONA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +942
    Well, they blew it. The funny thing is, they are making it worse and will still try to stop this.

Bachmann for president! Run Michelle, run.

8. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,337
    It goes beyond that. todays USA Today/Gallup poll shows 49% favor the bill while 40% oppose.

November is not going to be as rosey as they thought

9. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,337

If it didn't, where would he get his tan?

10. KMAN

KMAN Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +269
    You guys obviously have no idea what you are talking about.... Do you guys even have a clue how many votes it takes to pass something???? FYI - In case CNN hasn't told you yet... The Democrats don't need Republican support... It wasn't Republicans holding this up... It was your own damn party....

You better kill the country as much as possible because come November it is going to be a long time until the Dems get back in power... This is something that won't quickly be forgotten...