GOP members offer amendment to force Congress to participate in public option

The T

George S. Patton Party
May 24, 2009
What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
By Tony Romm - 11/04/09 01:42 PM ET

Five House Republicans hope to add to Democrats' healthcare reform bill an amendment that would automatically enroll members of Congress in the public option program.

The effort, spearheaded by Reps. John Fleming (La.), Joe Wilson (S.C.), Wally Herger (Calif.), Phil Gingrey (Ga.) and Steve Scalise (La.), would bar lawmakers from participating in the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program, which they currently use for health insurance. Instead, members would have to rely on the Health Insurance Exchange and the public option plan House Democrats are proposing in their latest healthcare reform effort.

“If Speaker [Nancy] Pelosi [D-Calif.] and her Democratic counterparts truly believe that their government insurance option is the best way forward for healthcare in the United States, then they should be fully supportive of amending the bill to ensure that every single member of Congress, both in the House and Senate, is enrolled in it," explained Rep. Gingrey, who is leading the new campaign.

Sounds sensible to me. Last time I checked? Members of Government were citizens too. If it's good for US, then I'ts good for them too.

Pretty gutsy amendment if you ask me.

Five House Republicans hope to add to Democrats' healthcare reform bill an amendment that would automatically enroll members of Congress in the public option program.

The effort, spearheaded by Reps. John Fleming (La.), Joe Wilson (S.C.), Wally Herger (Calif.), Phil Gingrey (Ga.) and Steve Scalise (La.), would bar lawmakers from participating in the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program, which they currently use for health insurance. Instead, members would have to rely on the Health Insurance Exchange and the public option plan House Democrats are proposing in their latest healthcare reform effort.

“If Speaker [Nancy] Pelosi [D-Calif.] and her Democratic counterparts truly believe that their government insurance option is the best way forward for healthcare in the United States, then they should be fully supportive of amending the bill to ensure that every single member of Congress, both in the House and Senate, is enrolled in it," explained Rep. Gingrey, who is leading the new campaign.

Sounds sensible to me. Last time I checked? Members of Government were citizens too. If it's good for US, then I'ts good for them too.

An excellent idea.

An excellent idea.
It's an idea who's time has come. Will it be included? I hate to be a pessemist, but all signs point to NO in the current climate.

hopefully it will kill the enter bill though.
That's something I hadn't considered. Thanks. I had heard that Harry Reid has said that Healthcare will NOT be done this year...Still looking for stories on this.

Now this is pertinent because Obama has been quoted as syaing that if it doesn't happen THIS year, it won't be done.

Perhaps this will be a setback if it isn't considered?

Now we're talking.....if it's good enough for "We, the People", it's good enough for Congresscritters.

*They* should be forced to participate in anything they want to *force us* to participate in. :clap2:

I *love* Phil Gingrey! :clap2:

BTW....if I'm not mistaken, he is also an OB/GYN or some such MD.

Yup, if you're gonna sell it you better be willing to wear it. Old marketing adage I heard decades ago.

Yup, if you're gonna sell it you better be willing to wear it. Old marketing adage I heard decades ago.
That wouldn't change anything at all; within a few years or sooner they would change their own status leaving ours intact. Would anyone trust THESE people to honor an obligation like that one? How naive! There’s too much at risk to trust them.

That wouldn't change anything at all; within a few years or sooner they would change their own status leaving ours intact. Would anyone trust THESE people to honor an obligation like that one? How naive! There’s too much at risk to trust them.

Naive? Just rechecking my post...... nothing about them not implementing it for themselves....... nothing about them not switching back after implementation............ nothing about trusting them in any way shape or form. Uuummmm...........

We all know that this amendment will be dead in the water. No congressman, or congresswoman would be stupid enough to to lower down to our level of coverage. Just sayin...

It's one of those let's-see-how-much-time-we-can-waste-today offerings. For one thing, a public option that would be satisfactory to Congress would be a cadillac plan, and that will never get passed.

[...Instead, members would have to rely on the Health Insurance Exchange and the public option plan House Democrats are proposing in their latest healthcare reform effort.

“If Speaker [Nancy] Pelosi [D-Calif.] and her Democratic counterparts truly believe ...

:cuckoo:

There they go again...wasting American taxpayer dollars and time with gimmics and gamesmanship. Fuckin' turds.

Sounds sensible to me. Last time I checked? Members of Government were citizens too. If it's good for US, then I'ts good for them too.[/COLOR]

I thought the public option was going to be optional?

There you go again supporting the use of force against those who disagree with you politically.

Fuckin' fascisti!
:eusa_whistle:

Sounds sensible to me. Last time I checked? Members of Government were citizens too. If it's good for US, then I'ts good for them too.[/color]

There you go again supporting the use of force against those who disagree with you politically.

Fuckin' fascisti!

LOL! I think those that fronted this Amendment are trying to FLUSH OUT those that think they are above you and I...

We'll see if this thing grows legs, or is killed in the womb...:eek::eusa_whistle:

(NO! I just didn't TYPE THAT)?

Last edited:
Sounds sensible to me. Last time I checked? Members of Government were citizens too. If it's good for US, then I'ts good for them too.[/color]

Fuckin' fascisti!

LOL! I think those that fronted this Amendment are trying to FLUSH OUT those that think they are above you and I...

We'll see if this thing grows legs, or is killed in the womb...:eek::eusa_whistle:

I still don't see the point. It is a waste of time, energy and tax payer dollars. a game of one upmanship on the dole. fuckin' GOP losers. :evil:

What's good for the goose is good for the gander, I am all for it.:clap2::clap2::clap2:

If it passed unanimously...would you then suddenly support the public option?

Fuckin' fascisti!

I still don't see the point. It is a waste of time, energy and tax payer dollars. a game of one upmanship on the dole. fuckin' GOP losers. :evil:

The WHOLE premise is? Are Congresscritters Citizens or NOT?

If it is OK for us out here PAYIN' the fuckin'; BILL for this, then CONGRESSCRITTERS should Man-UP (or Woman-UP) as the case may be and OPT for what they are SELLING US.

And this is wrong....HOW Exactly? (In your estimation)? Or do you side with the ELITES that think their shit doesn't stink?

Forum List

Back