GOP insider: Religion destroyed my party.

nitroz

INDEPENDENTly ruthless
May 18, 2011
Merritt Island, FL
A veteran Republican says the religious right has taken over, and turned his party into anti-intellectual nuts

GOP insider: Religion destroyed my party - Salon.com

Having observed politics up close and personal for most of my adult lifetime, I have come to the conclusion that the rise of politicized religious fundamentalism may have been the key ingredient in the transformation of the Republican Party. Politicized religion provides a substrate of beliefs that rationalizes—at least in the minds of its followers—all three of the GOP’s main tenets: wealth worship, war worship, and the permanent culture war.

Religious cranks ceased to be a minor public nuisance in this country beginning in the 1970s and grew into a major element of the Republican rank and file. Pat Robertson’s strong showing in the 1988 Iowa presidential caucus signaled the gradual merger of politics and religion in the party. Unfortunately, at the time I mostly underestimated the implications of what I was seeing. It did strike me as oddly humorous that a fundamentalist staff member in my congressional office was going to take time off to convert the heathen in Greece, a country that had been overwhelmingly Christian for almost two thousand years. I recall another point, in the early 1990s, when a different fundamentalist GOP staffer said that dinosaur fossils were a hoax. As a mere legislative mechanic toiling away in what I held to be a civil rather than ecclesiastical calling, I did not yet see that ideological impulses far different from mine were poised to capture the party of Lincoln.

The results of this takeover are all around us: If the American people poll more like Iranians or Nigerians than Europeans or Canadians on questions of evolution, scriptural inerrancy, the presence of angels and demons, and so forth, it is due to the rise of the religious right, its insertion into the public sphere by the Republican Party, and the consequent normalizing of formerly reactionary beliefs. All around us now is a prevailing anti-intellectualism and hostility to science. Politicized religion is the sheet anchor of the dreary forty-year-old culture wars.

The Constitution notwithstanding, there is now a de facto religious test for the presidency: Major candidates are encouraged (or coerced) to share their feelings about their faith in a revelatory speech, or a televangelist like Rick Warren will dragoon the candidates (as he did with Obama and McCain in 2008) to debate the finer points of Christology, offering himself as the final arbiter. Half a century after John F. Kennedy put to rest the question of whether a candidate of a minority denomination could be president, the Republican Party has reignited the kinds of seventeenth-century religious controversies that advanced democracies are supposed to have outgrown. And some in the media seem to have internalized the GOP’s premise that the religion of a candidate is a matter for public debate.

More in article

Yes, the Zionists have really betrayed America. They're like Roberts on the Supreme Court. You expect the Jews on the court to be enemies of America. But, when Roberts voted for Obamacare, that was news.

Yes, the Zionists have really betrayed America. They're like Roberts on the Supreme Court. You expect the Jews on the court to be enemies of America. But, when Roberts voted for Obamacare, that was news.

i now he is an idiot, but for the sake of truth, zionists are a part of the jewish faith. Despite christianity being based upon the prophecy of the jewish religion and the torah, the religious extremism in america is definitively christian in nature. Jews are a minority even if you believe they control the wealth of the world. The play to christian faith is certainly not converting a lot of jews to regard christ as their savior, and the beliefs expoused by the republican party that christianity is the moral and religious guide of the US certainly does not take into account zionist views that christ was not the saviour their prophecy foretold.

Religion is destroying a lot of things.

Sure is. It's destroying progressives who think they can fight the law of nature and nature's God. It's destroying progressive who think they can overthrow liberty and remake the Republic in their image.

Religion is your biggest enemy and you know it. Because people practicing their faith, living honest, decent, lives full of charity towards all men would destroy your politics. Government is your god and it scares you to death that there is a God in Heaven that help people learn to self-govern.

i now he is an idiot, but for the sake of truth, zionists are a part of the jewish faith. Despite christianity being based upon the prophecy of the jewish religion and the torah, the religious extremism in america is definitively christian in nature. Jews are a minority even if you believe they control the wealth of the world. The play to christian faith is certainly not converting a lot of jews to regard christ as their savior, and the beliefs expoused by the republican party that christianity is the moral and religious guide of the US certainly does not take into account zionist views that christ was not the saviour their prophecy foretold.

While I know Ariux is completely off base most of the time, it seems to me that if you are going to call someone an idiot, it's best not to look stupid doing it.

Sure is. It's destroying progressives who think they can fight the law of nature and nature's God. It's destroying progressive who think they can overthrow liberty and remake the Republic in their image.

Religion is your biggest enemy and you know it. Because people practicing their faith, living honest, decent, lives full of charity towards all men would destroy your politics. Government is your god and it scares you to death that there is a God in Heaven that help people learn to self-govern.

God hates religion.

Only 6% of scientists are Republicans.

Why?

Because science involves facts.

There are people who don't believe in god.
There are people who believe in a government separate from religion (for example, our founding fathers)
There are people who mis interpret their religion and use it as grounds to infringe on the rights of others and to express hate.
There are people who use it as ground for their lies to manipulate and to get their way.

BaUVY.jpg

And Christianity is not the only religion, there are other religions worldwide that you must respect and treat equally. How will a religiously-ran government deal with conflicting beliefs when the government and country was founded for diversity, freedom, and equality? Simple. IT DOESN'T. That's why we need to keep religion out of government and politics. The government does it's thing, Religion worships their beliefs and does their own thing. Learn your place and where you belong, because you don't belong in politics, seeking empowerment to take away and infringe on the rights of others, using your religion as grounds and authority to do so.

It's not religion that is destroying things; it's the people who take from it what they choose and leave behind the rest. If you are a Christian and try to take everything in the Bible word for word, you run into a problem because there are just too many contradictions. On top of that, there are rules that make zero sense in today's world, and not even the fundies follow those rules. It cracks me up that these people will follow the Bible word for word and use scripture to back up their beliefs, but if you call them out on something they don't like they just ignore you.

God hates religion.

Im pretty sure He wants us all to be religious:

Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. (James 1:27)

The problem isnt religion. The problem is ignoring religion. Instead of visiting the fatherless and the widows in their affliction we have a large group of people who want the government to go in their stead. And they want to pretend there is no way to be spotted by the world rather than keep themselves unspotted.

I guess it's easier to do what others do than do what's right despite what others say.

Only 6% of scientists are Republicans.

Why?

Because science involves facts.

You're talking about facts while quoting Rdeans nonsense?

Please. Read the scriptures sometime. Don't lose your soul to this nonsense.

There are people who don't believe in god.
There are people who believe in a government separate from religion (for example, our founding fathers)
There are people who mis interpret their religion and use it as grounds to infringe on the rights of others and to express hate.
There are people who use it as ground for their lies to manipulate and to get their way.

BaUVY.jpg

And Christianity is not the only religion, there are other religions worldwide that you must respect and treat equally. How will a religiously-ran government deal with conflicting beliefs when the government and country was founded for diversity, freedom, and equality? Simple. IT DOESN'T. That's why we need to keep religion out of government and politics. The government does it's thing, Religion worships their beliefs and does their own thing. Learn your place and where you belong, because you don't belong in politics, seeking empowerment to take away and infringe on the rights of others, using your religion as grounds and authority to do so.

I know this is difficult for people who want the government to run ever aspect of your life, but we want a limited government. We dont want an established Church. So stop making up lies to take our rights away with your filth.

Oh and read the First amendment sometime. I can say whatever the heck I want. Whether it involves politics or not. You cant shut me up. Though i know a totalitarian like you wants to.

While I know Ariux is completely off base most of the time, it seems to me that if you are going to call someone an idiot, it's best not to look stupid doing it.

what part of what I said would be wrong? please point out.

don't feed the troll...

To the OP...

I agree with the premise, and have argued the same for years.

But I think the real cause is that those who lost the Social Democracy vs. Cutthroat Commerce arguments in the 1930-50 range to the point where even sensible Republicans like Dwight D. Eisenhower accepted the New Deal reforms, found a new avenue.

Concinvincing religious people that their values were under assault if people were free to ignore them. And then convincing them that somehow, Jesus was totally for tax cuts for rich douchebags.

Reagan gets the blame for this, but I think it was a slow evolution.

Goldwater served up straight economic conservativism without any religious nonsense, and he took the biggest thrubbing from the Democrats since FDR.

Then Nixon came along, kind of ratcheted back the economic conservatism (He was more of a Keynesian than a Supply Sider), but he was totally running against the hippies in 1968 and 1972. Reagan did as well. Bush-41 had barely hidden contempt for these people, but still played up to them. Bush-43, I think was a true believer.

I recently went through some Six-Sigma training with some co-workers, and we had an instructor who knew an awful lot about the subject of statistical analysis and such.

And then somehow, the discussion got to the subject of Dinosaurs. And this guy goes off on a tangent that dinosaurs aren't as old as we think they are and that Carbon-14 dating is flawed in telling the age of things. I made a halfway attempt to point out to him that Carbon-14 isn't used to date dinosaur bones (It's only really good for dating fossils 62,000 years old) but then realized I was wasting my time and dropped the subject. (Because this class was already dragging on too long, it was the fourth day and we had barely covered half hte material.)

Yeah, using Pat Robertson's showing in Iowa 30 years ago...that's like relevant or something.

Forum List

Back