GOP Evangelicals

The Constitution in Exile movement believes that many of the laws underpinning the modern welfare state are unconstitutional. (See The Unregulated Offensive, New York Times magazine, April 17, 2005) The "exile" began in 1937 when the Supreme Court finally stopped declaring Roosevelt's New Deal programs unconstitutional.
One of the movement's better-known adherents is Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. In 1995 he wrote an opinion for the 5-4 majority in United States v. Lopez, striking down a federal law banning guns in school zones. Thomas' position makes originalists such as Scalia look almost moderate by comparison. From the New York Times' article:

... most adherents of the Constitution in Exile movement are not especially concerned about states' rights or judicial deference to legislatures; instead, they encourage judges to strike down laws on behalf of rights that don't appear explicitly in the Constitution.
Why The greatest right of all, according to adherents of this movement, are economic rights, particularly the right to property, and anything that takes away those rights -- such as environmental or workplace safety laws -- are, or should be, unconstitutional.

| Dominionism and The Constitution in Exile Movement

Try putting that in your own words.

What does that mean to you?

I'm not really interested in someone else's statements.

It means these two judges are right wing judicial activists.
Why? Because they held to the letter of the law of the constitution?

The Constitution in Exile movement believes that many of the laws underpinning the modern welfare state are unconstitutional. (See The Unregulated Offensive, New York Times magazine, April 17, 2005) The "exile" began in 1937 when the Supreme Court finally stopped declaring Roosevelt's New Deal programs unconstitutional.
One of the movement's better-known adherents is Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. In 1995 he wrote an opinion for the 5-4 majority in United States v. Lopez, striking down a federal law banning guns in school zones. Thomas' position makes originalists such as Scalia look almost moderate by comparison. From the New York Times' article:

... most adherents of the Constitution in Exile movement are not especially concerned about states' rights or judicial deference to legislatures; instead, they encourage judges to strike down laws on behalf of rights that don't appear explicitly in the Constitution.
The greatest right of all, according to adherents of this movement, are economic rights, particularly the right to property, and anything that takes away those rights -- such as environmental or workplace safety laws -- are, or should be, unconstitutional.

That's ludicrous.

The left has a habit of accusing conservatives of what they do (activism) when in fact that is a misnomer.

Conservatives resist change thus believe in following the Constitution.....ie....right-wing judicial activism is pretty much impossible.

However if you want to talk about judicial activism look at every Supreme Court appointment by Clinton and Obama.....and if you wanted to find it in the dictionary you'd see their pic next to the description of judicial activism.

Open your eyes.

I believe it stands for small government, and free enterprise. I believe it stands "with" Christians. many of them are Christians, but not all. It is not a mandate.

One has to admit that one's faith does, Like it or not, play a role in one's moral decisions. We all make decisions based upon our values, even the Liberals.

LMAO.

The hell it's not a "mandate".

"Value voters summit" anyone? That was a funny display of politicians kissing some evangelical Christian ass.

Has anyone noticed that most of the POTUS candidates on the GOP side are Conservative Christians?

What do you make of that?

I suspected that when a group of delegates were asked if they believed in evolution and 70% of them said they didn't. Anybody in this modern time who says they do not believe in evolution is either ignorant or brainwashed. Evolution is no longer a theory...it's a science.
Oh really...??!??

Sit and have a look: 101 - The Earth In Time And Space - Amazing Discoveries TV

Evolution is a theory, in the scientific sense of the word, meaning highly supported by the facts and evidence.

Using a sermen with a 1-800 number plastered on the screen isn't a terribly inspiraing counterarguement to the Theory of Evolution.

Evolution is not a science, it has yet to be proven. God created the world, if you believe otherwise YOU have been brainwashed and are ignorant.

LOL! You're wrong...very wrong.

Virgin birth, healing leprosy by touching, walkiing on water, killing witches, handling snakes, turning water into fine wine by touching it, resurrection...I guess evolution is a theory when compared to the likes of that. It amazes me what infant and childhood brainwashing can bring about.

The yammerings and dreams of ignorant folks during the stone and bronze age is what you're hanging your hat on. How ignorant.
I am not wrong! I just happen to believe the truth. I believe in intelligent design over the idea life just happened. I happen to be a Christian based on the truths of the Bible, that I have read and have four of five of them plus an online resource. I wasn't brainwashed, I researched it myself and have come to an informed conclusion that any belief other than what the Bible teaches is false. You are the ignorant one.

You're not brainwashed, you are just religious. That's fine. You can believe whatever you want too.

What you can not do, is take your personal belief system and call it "science", "truth", or "fact" when you are running off of faith to back up your assertion.

Again, I have no problem with faith. It's just not "science".

"Intelligent Design" is also not "science". It can not be falsified. Therefore, ther is no null hypthesis. If you have no null hypothesis, then your hypothesis automatically crumbles as it can't be supported by experimentation or observation.

And that is just the tip of the ice burg on why "ID" is not a scientific theory.

Our country is in serious trouble if we get another CC as President. Bachmann, Perry or Santorum would be a disaster.

Cain, possibly too.

Saw Cain on "Meet The Press" this AM. He is a real piece of work. Either he is too stupid to understand the job of a POTUS or he does not care to articulate on the complexity of the office. He thinks he is running for "King Of America". His 9-9-9 plan is stupid and he rejects out of hand all criticism of his childish plan. His stand on life at conception and abortion is stark and unacceptable to the vast majority of Americans.

Cain's "my way or the hyway" attitude will find him on the hyway. He thinks he is just going to become president and DICTATE what the tax mechanism and numerous other programs will be. He is an idiot as are those that would want to waste(or worse) four years with him as POTUS.

His candidacy says more about the desperation of his hopeful citizen supporters and the manipulation of his corporate sponsors than anything useful to the vast majority of the American population.

In short he is Sarah Palin in the body of a black man. He is dangerously willfully ignorant.

You have preconceptions about Cain you can't seem to drop or you have saw-dust in your ears because I didn't hear that. You must have been paying attention to something else, your fantasy league or something, because obviously you didn't listen.

Being intelligent and using common-sense seems to be a problem with you. Cain obviously has both. However he needs to explain his program in more detail and until he does people will lie about it till it becomes a thing of ridicule.

Anyone that has half a brain starts making an evaluation of a possible POTUS from the first words exiting his or her mouth. I will admit from what I have already heard come out of Cain's mouth I was skeptical about his ability to lead this country and watching his performance on "Meet The Press" with a bias towards isolating the errors in his thinking.

I am under no obligation to give an idiot the same respect as someone whom has proven not to be one.

When asked his position on abortion his response was that "life starts at conception" and more specifically he added that he does not believe in any kind of abortion under any circumstances including rape and incest...HIS WORDS!

He ducked pointed interrogation by the host on his ridiculous 9-9-9 idea. You thinking me less intelligent than say you or Hermin Cain is irrelevant. You do not know how a smart person thinks therefore you wouldn't know the difference.

The greatest right of all, according to adherents of this movement, are economic rights, particularly the right to property, and anything that takes away those rights -- such as environmental or workplace safety laws -- are, or should be, unconstitutional.

It is the left that does not follow the constitution and uses the courts to do their deeds.

Or it could mean that you are putting your own spin on it. ;)

Saw Cain on "Meet The Press" this AM. He is a real piece of work. Either he is too stupid to understand the job of a POTUS or he does not care to articulate on the complexity of the office. He thinks he is running for "King Of America". His 9-9-9 plan is stupid and he rejects out of hand all criticism of his childish plan. His stand on life at conception and abortion is stark and unacceptable to the vast majority of Americans.

Cain's "my way or the hyway" attitude will find him on the hyway. He thinks he is just going to become president and DICTATE what the tax mechanism and numerous other programs will be. He is an idiot as are those that would want to waste(or worse) four years with him as POTUS.

His candidacy says more about the desperation of his hopeful citizen supporters and the manipulation of his corporate sponsors than anything useful to the vast majority of the American population.

In short he is Sarah Palin in the body of a black man. He is dangerously willfully ignorant.

You have preconceptions about Cain you can't seem to drop or you have saw-dust in your ears because I didn't hear that. You must have been paying attention to something else, your fantasy league or something, because obviously you didn't listen.

Being intelligent and using common-sense seems to be a problem with you. Cain obviously has both. However he needs to explain his program in more detail and until he does people will lie about it till it becomes a thing of ridicule.

Anyone that has half a brain starts making an evaluation of a possible POTUS from the first words exiting his or her mouth. I will admit from what I have already heard come out of Cain's mouth I was skeptical about his ability to lead this country and watching his performance on "Meet The Press" with a bias towards isolating the errors in his thinking.

I am under no obligation to give an idiot the same respect as someone whom has proven not to be one.

When asked his position on abortion his response was that "life starts at conception" and more specifically he added that he does not believe in any kind of abortion under any circumstances including rape and incest...HIS WORDS!

He ducked pointed interrogation by the host on his ridiculous 9-9-9 idea. You thinking me less intelligent than say you or Hermin Cain is irrelevant. You do not know how a smart person thinks therefore you wouldn't know the difference.

Then I shouldn't pay attention to you.

I know how a smart person thinks....and you aren't.

A smart person has an open mind. They don't put words in people's mouths or imagine they said something they never did.

You don't like 9-9-9 because One, you don't understand it, two, don't want to understand it, and three, the establishment says it's crap and that's all you want to know about it.

To the left judicial activism is anyone on the bench that tries to stop them from committing judicial activism.

To the left terrorism is anyone who tries to stop them from spending and wants this country to be successful......all the while they pay people to tear this country apart.

To the left Christians are evil and they call them Dominationists when they themselves support Muslims that blow themselves up murdering hundreds of innocent people, and have committed genocide all over the globe in the name of Islam. CONVERT OR DIE INFIDEL!!!

Nah......they aren't that bad.......but those Christians....now they're a threat.

To the left judicial activism is anyone on the bench that tries to stop them from committing judicial activism.

To the left terrorism is anyone who tries to stop them from spending and wants this country to be successful......all the while they pay people to tear this country apart.

To the left Christians are evil and they call them Dominationists when they themselves support Muslims that blow themselves up murdering hundreds of innocent people, and have committed genocide all over the globe in the name of Islam. CONVERT OR DIE INFIDEL!!!

Nah......they aren't that bad.......but those Christians....now they're a threat.

That about sums it up, for some.

I hope this isn't spamming the board if I repeat this post :eusa_angel:

A smart person has an open mind. They don't put words in people's mouths or imagine they said something they never did.

You don't like 9-9-9 because One, you don't understand it, two, don't want to understand it, and three, the establishment says it's crap and that's all you want to know about it.

I understand 9-9-9 perfectly fine. The 9-9-9 plan would replace the complex U.S. tax code with a 9 percent income tax, a 9 percent corporate tax and a new 9 percent national sales tax.

Did I miss anything?

I understand 9-9-9 perfectly fine. The 9-9-9 plan would replace the complex U.S. tax code with a 9 percent income tax, a 9 percent corporate tax and a new 9 percent national sales tax.

Did I miss anything?

999 is the emergency number in the UK.

Feel better?

Did I miss anything?

Yes.....currently you're probably paying over 20% on income taxes alone......and you think 9% is bad. If you sell property instead of paying 15% you'll pay only 9%. Also his plan is a consumption tax which means those who buy more will pay more, thus the rich will take a greater hit then everyone else.

You also are not recognizing that if this plan is implemented you won't have to fill out a complex tax form every year. That mean no refund but then again you won't be sweating bullets on April 15th from now on. The IRS in it's current state won't be needed, which will save us billions in unneeded costs.

Come to think of it, I can see why you hate it.....because taking into consideration your political leanings anything that might work this well is repulsive to you if it's a Republican idea. We can't have that.

One of the benefits 9-9-9 has is it removes hidden taxes you never see in products that adds to the total cost.

How much of the price on a Flat-Panel TV is federal taxes assessed to the manufacturer?

How much is passed on to the consumer?

Instead of paying at every level we only pay it at the retail purchase level. All other taxes will be history which will greatly reduce the purchase price at the register, thus increasing your purchasing power. You may be able to quit that second or third job. Think about it.

Yeah....you're right. Having more buying power sucks.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back