GOP decides to punt on Fast and Furious

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
It seems that Boehner has decided to have the vote on the contempt charge against Eric Holder on Thursday. The only reason that I can think of for him doing this is because it gives Obama cover because the only thing anyone is going to be talking about on Thursday is the Obamacare decision. This will give the media a chance to ignore the whole thing and not say anything until after the election.

House to vote Thursday on Holder contempt charge | Reuters

So much for this being a political witch hunt by the GOP to attack Obama.

Or he is giving Obama a chance to respond to Issa's letter.

Issa letter to Obama challenges executive privilege - First Read

The California Republican ratchets up the pressure by stating that either the president's "most senior advisers were involved in managing Operation Fast & Furious ... and the fallout" or the White House is asserting "a presidential power that you know to be unjustified solely for the purpose of further obstructing a congressional investigation."

Except that the date for this vote was set before anyone knew the HC decision would go past the anticipated 6/25.

For Boehner or anyone else to suddenly try to change it to avoid a "P/R" conflict with HC would instantly create an attack by the Dems that this was all "political."

And they would be right.

It seems that Boehner has decided to have the vote on the contempt charge against Eric Holder on Thursday. The only reason that I can think of for him doing this is because it gives Obama cover because the only thing anyone is going to be talking about on Thursday is the Obamacare decision. This will give the media a chance to ignore the whole thing and not say anything until after the election.

Actually it's a smart move.

The media will focus on the ruling and ignore the contempt vote, so the GOP will be off the hook.

By Monday the vote will be forgotten and they can proceed with charges against Eric Holder.

Meanwhile Obama and the press will be making whatever that can of the health care decision. I think they plan on ignoring it.

It seems that Boehner has decided to have the vote on the contempt charge against Eric Holder on Thursday. The only reason that I can think of for him doing this is because it gives Obama cover because the only thing anyone is going to be talking about on Thursday is the Obamacare decision.
Yes - that is the only reason possible. The Senate bases its schedule around the SCOTUS, we were all taught that in Civics class

By 'all' I mean 'no one but you', BTW.

It seems that Boehner has decided to have the vote on the contempt charge against Eric Holder on Thursday. The only reason that I can think of for him doing this is because it gives Obama cover because the only thing anyone is going to be talking about on Thursday is the Obamacare decision.
Yes - that is the only reason possible. The Senate bases its schedule around the SCOTUS, we were all taught that in Civics class

By 'all' I mean 'no one but you', BTW.

You know even less about politics than you do cosmology, amazing.

Boehner is Speaker of the House, which is not the Senate.

Or Boenher realizes this is just going to blow up in the GOP's face.

NOthing more tacky than using a coffin as a soap box.

If there were a reason for this to "blow up in the GOP's face" Obama would not hide behind the skirt of executive privelage.

Cowards

Obama's Evoking EP gave them Little Choice, Virtually assured Nothing would happen on it until after the Election, Which of course plays into Obama's Hand.

Nice to see you libs Celebrating Obama getting away with an abuse of Executive Power, guess your Passionate Defense of the Separation of Powers, and Opposition to the so called Imperial Presidency falls by the Way side in the Name of Retaining Power for your side at all costs.

Except that the date for this vote was set before anyone knew the HC decision would go past the anticipated 6/25.

For Boehner or anyone else to suddenly try to change it to avoid a "P/R" conflict with HC would instantly create an attack by the Dems that this was all "political."

And they would be right.

Thanks for typing that for me
:thup:

And they would be right.

Funny, the date was not officially set as of Monday evening, but I knew about the Obamacare decision on Monday morning.

Source: House vote to hold AG Holder in contempt set for Thursday - CNN.com

And they would be right.

Funny, the date was not officially set as of Monday evening, but I knew about the Obamacare decision on Monday morning.

Source: House vote to hold AG Holder in contempt set for Thursday - CNN.com

Committee vote was the 20th, when they said it would go before the entire House "next week".
SCOTUS could have released their decision the 21st or the 25th.

I just don't see it as a "punt".
I hope it serves as a double-barreled blast:

1) Obamacare declared unconstitutional
2) AG found in Contempt of Congress

All in one day?
:clap2:

NO! The concern is that the entire process may overshadow Romney's detailed economic policies, to be released this week. He had to reschedule until December because of the Holder freaks desire for a TV comedy; like The Monica Show, though more transparently fabricated.

If there were a reason for this to "blow up in the GOP's face" Obama would not hide behind the skirt of executive privelage.

Cowards

Or they realize that the more they stamp their feet and make a big deal about this non-issue, the worse they look.

Hey, remember when Republicans just insisted up and down we had to get to the bottom of whether Clinton got a blow job from an intern or not? How'd that work out for them?

Forum List

Back