gop chance of beating obama in 2012?

Conservatives are already united in their hatred if Obama so uniting conservatives will not be a problem.

The word "Conservative" and a need to collect votes from one issue voters have created the split in the Republican Party. The party has an interesting mix of Constitutional Conservatives all for limiting the power of the government, and Religious Conservatives (John Ashcroft, the Moral Minority & the abortion folks) all for using the power of big government to impose their moral views. Throw in the big Security Agency/Military ignore Constitutional rights folks and these contradictions in bumper sticker ideology weaken the brand name/message.

I think the post above there says it all.. Until rebuttlicans can find a united base.. They will continure to be fragmented and a regional party.. Rebuttlicans have really shot themselves in the ass over the last 8 years.. They are no longer main stream in their ideas and no longer look towards the greater good..

I am a liberal.. But as a liberal there are a lot of things I do agree with conservatives about.. I just don't agree with the extreme approach that many conservatives today take..

There is no discussion about abortion.. It is ban it at all cost.. Stack the supreme court in hopes of over turning Roe. Vs. Wade.. There is no conversation about the medical reasons for abortion.. No acknowleging the social problems we as a nation had before abortion was made legal.. There is no basic compromise in how we can find a solution.. I don't think abortion should be legal.. But it should be legal with strings..

Until rebuttlicans can find it in their party to allow people with a difference of opinion.. They will never be a viable option for the white house or any office.. I will not vote rebuttlican in any race because of their in tolerance towards their fellow americans.. Some of that intolerance is apparent on this very forum.. :cool:

At this stage 4 years ago no one would have predicted Obama to get the nomination, much less win.
Haley Barbour as president, Jeff Flake as VP. It will be the election of competence and Obama has proven he doesn't have any. I would not be surprised to see Hillary unseat him as the party's choice.
And I love the suggestions from Democrats on whom the Republicans should nominate. They are always pushing the "moderate" approach. McCain was the ultimate moderate and you see how well that turned out.

Hopefully a majority of us Ron Paul supporters will stick with our principles and not be won over by either Romney, Palin, or any other statists on the off chance that they'll be able to beat Obama. If the Republican Party fails us again then I suggest we support the Libertarian Party, the Constitution Party, or write in Ron Paul.

I am a pretty sure I could never vote for palin or romney (he loves big miltiary and social programs for everything under the sun). I just don't think the religous freaks and warhawks still in control of the GOP are going to give him a very fair chance.

Obama attended church for twenty years yet he is not a religious freak?

I really don't have a problem with "religious freaks" getting into the whitehouse because its not a problem for me and it really shouldn't be a problem for anyone else because a president's religious views are not a threat to you or anyone else unless those are being put into law which is why we have a first amendment.

The real objection to Palin's religious views are the religion itself aka Christianity because at no point has either GWB or Palin ever said they were going to create a law to make people believe what they believe. Your own words neglect to talk about any legislation and just rip into someone simply because they are "religious freaks" which is no different than any other form of discrimination that has ever been uttered in the history of mankind.

Last edited:
Have you looked into former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson? There's speculation that he may run in 2012.

No I hadn't Kevin, thanks for mentioning him.

After just a quick look at Wikipedia, he definitely has potential.

A especially liked this part:

Under Johnson's administration, New Mexico experienced the longest period without a tax increase in the state's history, the rate of growth in the state government was cut in half, half of the state's prisons were privatized, state Medicaid was shifted to managed care, and the state was left with approximately 1,000 fewer employees (with no firings) and a budget surplus. Johnson vetoed 750 bills (which was more than all the vetoes of the other 49 Governors in the country at that time, combined), which earned him the nickname Gary "Veto" Johnson.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_E._Johnson#cite_note-race42008.com-5

To this day, Johnson carries with him his "Seven Principles of Good Government":
1. Become reality driven. Don’t kid yourself or others. Find out what’s what and base your decisions and actions on that.

2. Always be honest and tell the truth. It’s extremely difficult to do any damage to anybody when you are willing to tell the truth–regardless of the consequences.

3. Always do what’s right and fair. Remember, the more you actually accomplish, the louder your critics become. You’ve got to learn to ignore your critics. You’ve got to continue to do what you think is right. You’ve got to maintain your integrity.

4. Determine your goal, develop a plan to reach that goal, and then act. Don’t procrastinate.

5. Make sure everybody who ought to know what you’re doing knows what you’re doing. Communicate.

6. Don’t hesitate to deliver bad news. There is always time to salvage things. There is always time to fix things. Henry Kissinger said that anything that can be revealed eventually should be revealed immediately.

7. Last, be willing to do whatever it takes to get your job done. If you’ve got a job that you don’t love enough to do what it takes to get your job done, then quit and get one that you do love, and then make a difference.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_E._Johnson#cite_note-race42008.com-5

Gary E. Johnson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We need someone like Gary "Veto" Johnson in the White House, someone not afraid to use the power of the veto. And I think he's releasing a book later this year or next year called "The Seven Principles of Good Government."

Bush didn't use the veto against Tom Delay. He only veto'ed when the Dems took over. And he shouldn't have veto'ed any of their bills. He should have veto'ed a lot of bills that came his way between 2000-2006.

Corporate lobbyists own enough Senators that we don't need a sellout president too.

You just don't want anything the Dems/American people/progressives want. We won. So don't cry when our liberal president signs a bill our liberal senate sends his way.

Conservatives are already united in their hatred if Obama so uniting conservatives will not be a problem.

The word "Conservative" and a need to collect votes from one issue voters have created the split in the Republican Party. The party has an interesting mix of Constitutional Conservatives all for limiting the power of the government, and Religious Conservatives (John Ashcroft, the Moral Minority & the abortion folks) all for using the power of big government to impose their moral views. Throw in the big Security Agency/Military ignore Constitutional rights folks and these contradictions in bumper sticker ideology weaken the brand name/message.

I think the post above there says it all.. Until rebuttlicans can find a united base.. They will continure to be fragmented and a regional party.. Rebuttlicans have really shot themselves in the ass over the last 8 years.. They are no longer main stream in their ideas and no longer look towards the greater good..

I am a liberal.. But as a liberal there are a lot of things I do agree with conservatives about.. I just don't agree with the extreme approach that many conservatives today take..

There is no discussion about abortion.. It is ban it at all cost.. Stack the supreme court in hopes of over turning Roe. Vs. Wade.. There is no conversation about the medical reasons for abortion.. No acknowleging the social problems we as a nation had before abortion was made legal.. There is no basic compromise in how we can find a solution.. I don't think abortion should be legal.. But it should be legal with strings..

Until rebuttlicans can find it in their party to allow people with a difference of opinion.. They will never be a viable option for the white house or any office.. I will not vote rebuttlican in any race because of their in tolerance towards their fellow americans.. Some of that intolerance is apparent on this very forum.. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Intolerance? WTF are you talking about dipshit?

Until rebuttlicans can find it in their party to allow people with a difference of opinion.. They will never be a viable option for the white house or any office.. I will not vote rebuttlican in any race because of their in tolerance towards their fellow americans.. Some of that intolerance is apparent on this very forum.. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Intolerance? WTF are you talking about dipshit?

We may agree with conservatives that the government shouldn't overspend and they shouldn't overtax, but that doesn't mean we will vote GOP.

Because we know from experience they will spend just as much and we also know their tax breaks are unfairly benefitting the rich and thus increasing our deficits. You can't cut taxes on the rich and then increase spending. That puts the burden on the rest of us.

And funny how they allowed oil companies to charge $4 a gallon. That may not be a "tax", but it was worse than a tax because it bankrupted thousands of Americans and put us in a recession. Just one small example of how the GOP way is flawed.

Just remember when a Republican looks at the camera and says, "obama will raise your taxes", they are misleading us. They are actually only talking to their base, which is about 20% of Americans. The rest of us are just pawns to them. Suckers they win over with lies and wedge issues.

There is no conversation about the medical reasons for abortion.. No acknowleging the social problems we as a nation had before abortion was made legal..

Well, until this year it was 20 of the last 28 years Republicans could nominate justices for the Supreme Court and what.... 28 of the last 40 if you go back to Nixon. 6 of the 8 current Justices are Republican nominees. Did anything there get accomplished? No. Either they pulled your strings, no one cared enough to think about challenging Roe V Wade, or the judges double crossed Reagan Bush and Bush II.

If you are a one party abortion voter find that third party and make it grow.

Hehe. In my ever growing neg rep counter.
Thread Date Posted By Comment
gop chance of beating... 11-30-2009 12:40 PM Lonestar_logic you stupid fuck!
wow, what did I say? I didn't call anyone who disagreed with me anything ignorant like that.

I'm still hoping for a viable 3rd Party, but I doubt they'll get any Electoral votes. The GOP can spend their money on weed for all I care.

If you can't get any electoral votes then you don't have a viable third party.

And therein lies the problem with our two-party monopoly (duopoloy). Ross Perot got nearly 19% of the popular vote in 1992 and not one member of the Electoral College voted for him. Our system is obviously rigged in favor of the two-parties. I seriously doubt it will ever stop, but I'll continue to vote 3rd party nonetheless.

What State did he win? If he didn't win a State then the electoral college was correct in the way they voted.

The Republicans have wasted a year since the elections. Rather than develop a new voter base, expand their "big tent", moderating their platform and grooming new candidates, they have chosen to sit on the sidelines and pout.
GOP has no message, no viable candidates and no funding

Obama by a landslide in 2012

No I hadn't Kevin, thanks for mentioning him.

After just a quick look at Wikipedia, he definitely has potential.

A especially liked this part:

Under Johnson's administration, New Mexico experienced the longest period without a tax increase in the state's history, the rate of growth in the state government was cut in half, half of the state's prisons were privatized, state Medicaid was shifted to managed care, and the state was left with approximately 1,000 fewer employees (with no firings) and a budget surplus. Johnson vetoed 750 bills (which was more than all the vetoes of the other 49 Governors in the country at that time, combined), which earned him the nickname Gary "Veto" Johnson.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_E._Johnson#cite_note-race42008.com-5

To this day, Johnson carries with him his "Seven Principles of Good Government":
1. Become reality driven. Don’t kid yourself or others. Find out what’s what and base your decisions and actions on that.

2. Always be honest and tell the truth. It’s extremely difficult to do any damage to anybody when you are willing to tell the truth–regardless of the consequences.

3. Always do what’s right and fair. Remember, the more you actually accomplish, the louder your critics become. You’ve got to learn to ignore your critics. You’ve got to continue to do what you think is right. You’ve got to maintain your integrity.

4. Determine your goal, develop a plan to reach that goal, and then act. Don’t procrastinate.

5. Make sure everybody who ought to know what you’re doing knows what you’re doing. Communicate.

6. Don’t hesitate to deliver bad news. There is always time to salvage things. There is always time to fix things. Henry Kissinger said that anything that can be revealed eventually should be revealed immediately.

7. Last, be willing to do whatever it takes to get your job done. If you’ve got a job that you don’t love enough to do what it takes to get your job done, then quit and get one that you do love, and then make a difference.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_E._Johnson#cite_note-race42008.com-5

Gary E. Johnson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We need someone like Gary "Veto" Johnson in the White House, someone not afraid to use the power of the veto. And I think he's releasing a book later this year or next year called "The Seven Principles of Good Government."

Bush didn't use the veto against Tom Delay. He only veto'ed when the Dems took over. And he shouldn't have veto'ed any of their bills. He should have veto'ed a lot of bills that came his way between 2000-2006.

Corporate lobbyists own enough Senators that we don't need a sellout president too.

You just don't want anything the Dems/American people/progressives want. We won. So don't cry when our liberal president signs a bill our liberal senate sends his way.

Who cares? What does George W. Bush have to do with Gary Johnson? Nothing.

Obama is going to win a second term no question about it. And he'll have a positive impact on:

a. Healthcare
b. Unemployment
c. Wages
d. Wallstreet
e. NAFTA
f. global warming
g. illegal employer problem
h. wars
i. rich not paying their fair share of taxes with offshore havens and unfair tax breaks passed by the GOP in 2002. Hell, don't just roll back the Bush tax breaks, roll back the Reagan ones too.

j. Our relationship with Russia and China and the rest of the world
k. housing
l. regulations
m. banks

Are you trying to be funny or what? Obama will have a positive impact on illegal employer problems? Who are these illegal employers? Couldn't figure out how to say what you really meant here or what? But don't hold your breath waiting for a damn thing to be done about illegals entering this country and taking our jobs. Neither party will do a damn thing about it and will continue allowing foreigners to sneak into our country in violation of our laws and continue stealing US jobs. Even as our unemployment remains in the double digits during Obama's one and only term.

Is your idea of Obama having a positive impact on global warming to simply have Obama as President at the time global warming was exposed as a hoax and international conspiracy -as it was? You may actually have to look for that story since much of the US liberal media is doing all it can to avoid having to report on this story -but other countries ARE reporting on this stuff. See if you can figure out how to find the news about how global warming has been exposed as a hoax; how the "scientists" who participated OOPS destroyed all their raw data so no one can ever, ever verify their results -and how OOPS they forgot to destroy their EMAILS talking about how to keep the conspiracy going, how to prevent others from trying to verify their results because it would expose their phony results and how to prevent others from finding out they doctored up their results! I'd say discovering the claim of the doom-and-gloom of earth being burned up (or iced up depending on which liar was doing the speaking) isn't on our doorstep after all is the BEST kind of positive impact on global warming of all. ROFL

Bush tax cuts will expire next year and the Democrats are highly unlikely to renew them. So after they do expire, be sure to come back and tell us all how relieved you are to be paying more in taxes -because you will. And since I know you are too lazy to check it out yourself, if the Bush tax cuts were meant to benefit just the rich -then how is it possible that they ended up paying a higher percentage of all federal income taxes after that tax cut than before? If those tax cuts benefited them the most, it would have gone down. But GOOD NEWS for you. Now when the Bush tax cuts expire, the percentage the wealthy will pay of all income taxes will go DOWN! While YOURS goes UP! ROFLMAO

Believing the lying ass propaganda of your own side blindly like you do -is a really bad idea if you want to be in control of your own life and be capable of making the best INFORMED decisions on your own behalf. Otherwise you exist just as a tool. So, tell us all what is life like for you as a tool?

Now do want to REALLY make a snap judgment about whether the Reagan tax cuts should be rolled back too -also without bothering to check who and where that impact would REALLY be felt? Your life must really suck since you spend so much of it sitting on your lazy ass wallowing in envy because other people work harder and longer than you do and actually benefit from doing so! You morons still haven't figured out why liberals demand that people envy the success of others instead of encouraging them to also work hard? Liberalism requires a dependent population that is reluctant to work and taught to expect someone else to foot their bill in life -or it cannot exist at all. That means advocating a system that punishes success and rewards and encourages giving up.

Maybe you haven't noticed but Obama got elected because of independents. 52% of all his votes came from independents. Might want to check out how happy independents are now about their choice and whether they intend to make that same mistake next time around or not. Then check and see how well it worked out for Carter when independents ran from him like the plague at his re-election. Too many idiocies in your list for one post.

The Republicans have wasted a year since the elections. Rather than develop a new voter base, expand their "big tent", moderating their platform and grooming new candidates, they have chosen to sit on the sidelines and pout.

While we appreciate your concern, the GOP is not about to take advice from Democrats, who constantly council to moderate and move to the center. McCain was the epitome of the center and got creamed because the core of GOP voters don't want Dem-lite.
It will take a while to sort out the GOP's internal problems. But in the meantime the Dums are doing a great job shooting themselves in the foot, revealing themselves for the feckless weasels they were all along, concerned only with political power and careless about the rest of America. They are led in this by their Dum-In-Chief, Obama. By the time his one term is over he might have an approval rating way lower than Bush. Heck, it might happen by year's end.

While we appreciate your concern, the GOP is not about to take advice from Democrats, who constantly council to moderate and move to the center. McCain was the epitome of the center and got creamed because the core of GOP voters don't want Dem-lite.
It will take a while to sort out the GOP's internal problems. But in the meantime the Dums are doing a great job shooting themselves in the foot, revealing themselves for the feckless weasels they were all along, concerned only with political power and careless about the rest of America. They are led in this by their Dum-In-Chief, Obama. By the time his one term is over he might have an approval rating way lower than Bush. Heck, it might happen by year's end.

GOPs problem is that McCain is by far a better candidate than anyone they have waiting in the wings.
Republicans have wasted this entire years without scoring any political capital. The strategy of "Do anything you can to cause Obama to fail" has backfired.
Economy is recovering, Healthcare will pass....all without the Republicans.

GOP is in a sorry state

Obama is going to win a second term no question about it. And he'll have a positive impact on:

a. Healthcare
b. Unemployment
c. Wages
d. Wallstreet
e. NAFTA
f. global warming
g. illegal employer problem
h. wars
i. rich not paying their fair share of taxes with offshore havens and unfair tax breaks passed by the GOP in 2002. Hell, don't just roll back the Bush tax breaks, roll back the Reagan ones too.

j. Our relationship with Russia and China and the rest of the world
k. housing
l. regulations
m. banks

YIKES............proving once again that even the 21%ers have a fringe of even k00kier k00ks!!!!:eusa_clap:!!!!

GOPs problem is that McCain is by far a better candidate than anyone they have waiting in the wings.
Republicans have wasted this entire years without scoring any political capital. The strategy of "Do anything you can to cause Obama to fail" has backfired.
Economy is recovering, Healthcare will pass....all without the Republicans.

GOP is in a sorry state

Economy recovering?? BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! Only for those fortunate enough to live in imaginary congressional districts getting not so imaginary stimulus money.
Obama's approval ratings are dropping like a rock. Congress' are even lower. Obamacare is unpopular with the majority of the electorate, and that's before taxes to fund the mess kick in, his Afghan strategy will alienate both the right and the left.
The boy is going down.

The split in the Republican party isn't between the Religious conservatives and others but rather between the Democrat lites and principaled small government conservatives. No one I know in the anti Abortion movement wants the feds involved in abortion at all either pro or con. All of us would be quite happy to return to the pre Roe v. Wade regime in which 38 states had already made exemptions for rape incest and life and health of the mother. All fifty had exemptions regarding the mother's physical health.

All of us would be quite happy to return to the pre Roe v. Wade regime in which 38 states had already made exemptions for rape incest and life and health of the mother. All fifty had exemptions regarding the mother's physical health.

Ouch! Then abortions only for those wealthy enough to travel to whatever state offers them.

How about states only get to make laws if its citizens have to abide by them laws when they leave the state? What I'm trying to say is akin to, "If your state doesn't allow strip clubs then you can't go to strip clubs on the other side of the river". It would eliminate the Not In My Back Yard ers.

Forum List

Back