Google's Gmail could be blocked

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
** Maybe I'm just naive, but I really don't see a problem with their plans. They are going to offer up to 500x more email storage space compared to yahoo/hotmail (4Mb/2Mb). In return they want to give you ads in your email that are targeted based on keywords within that very email. This is an opt-in service and customers would be fully aware. I just don't see the invasion of privacy. If you don't like their way of targeting the ads, then you simply don't sign up for their service. What's everyone else's thoughts? **

Gmail, the planned free e-mail service from Google, could be facing strong legal opposition in California

A draft law is being drawn up by local Democratic Senator Liz Figueroa, who calls Gmail "an invasion of privacy".

Google is being asked to rethink the product, which plans to offer 100 times the storage offered by some rivals.

The problem, Ms Figueroa says, is Google's plan to make revenue from users agreeing to their incoming e-mail being scanned for targeted advertising.

Objections

Californian Senator Figueroa describes the service as being a bit like "having a massive billboard in the middle of your home".

The targeted adverts would use key words after scanning your private e-mail - posting adverts for pharmaceutical products, for example, if a message mentions a medical condition.

Google's plans have already come under fire from privacy campaigners objecting to adverts linked to the content of messages, and to the permanent storage of email.

UK-based campaign group Privacy International has complained to the UK's Information Commissioner about Google's plans to send users links to advertising based on a computer scan of their correspondence, and presumed interests.

It also pointed out that Google's terms of service did not allow users to delete their emails permanently, despite European data protection legislation which gives users full control over their own communications.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3621169.stm

I do have a problem with the portion in bold.

Google is a private company. They have every RIGHT to do what they want in this instance. They are not doing it surreptitiously.

Even the supreme court has indicated that email does not command the same right to privacy as other forms of communication.

Now, I wouldn't sign up for the service as I do not wish to see ads everywhere. Heck, 90% of the stuff I watch on TV doesn't have commercials. I pay for that privilege.

Forum List

Back