Google Installs Ugly, Black, Tool Bar. I Want It GONE. How Do I Do It?

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
Well, Google is at it again. All of a sudden, without my ever asking for it, there is this ugly, BLACK band (toolbar) running across my screen, just below my other toolbars. It was not there a week ago, I never asked for it, it looks like hell and I DON'T WANT IT THERE ANY MORE.

I'm sure, if you have Google as your home page, you have it too. Doesn't it suck?

To further identify it, it has Web, Images, Video, Maps, News, Shopping, GMail and More listed in there.

How do I get rid of it? I went into Control Panel/Uninstall Programs. It isn't in there. (BTW, I am running Firefox, not IE.) I went into Tools/Manage Add Ons. It isn't in there. I went onto the Web, asking how to delete a Google tool bar. Nothing helped.

So how do I get rid of it?

George, when you right click on the toolbar does it bring up an option to unclick it? That's how I got rid of the Norton toolbar. Just a thought. . . .

Fate punishing you for running IE. Chrome won't let anyone do that kind of stupid.

Amazing Google is doing this. These toolbars don't ever seem to get used by anyone, but they cause a huge amount of resentment.

And they breed like crazy. One of the reasons I mostly run Mac. It is not subject to this stupid.

ie-toolbar-bloat.jpg

Well, Google is at it again. All of a sudden, without my ever asking for it, there is this ugly, BLACK band (toolbar) running across my screen, just below my other toolbars. It was not there a week ago, I never asked for it, it looks like hell and I DON'T WANT IT THERE ANY MORE.

I'm sure, if you have Google as your home page, you have it too. Doesn't it suck?

To further identify it, it has Web, Images, Video, Maps, News, Shopping, GMail and More listed in there.

How do I get rid of it? I went into Control Panel/Uninstall Programs. It isn't in there. (BTW, I am running Firefox, not IE.) I went into Tools/Manage Add Ons. It isn't in there. I went onto the Web, asking how to delete a Google tool bar. Nothing helped.

Use Bing.com

Buy a new computer!

Big companies like that hire Summer interns (usually computer science or math majors).

Maybe one of them did it?

I know when I was working, we could blame all our fuck ups on the interns.

George, when you right click on the toolbar does it bring up an option to unclick it? That's how I got rid of the Norton toolbar. Just a thought. . . .

Nope. Tried that. I'm going to try L.K.'s suggestion when I get home tonight.

On further reflection, I think I may have misspoke. It is possible this is not a new tool bar, but merely Google's changing the background color of an existing tool bar from white to black. We never noticed it when it was white. Now that it is black, we do notice it.

Last edited:

Nope. Tried that. I'm going to try L.K.'s suggestion when I get home tonight.

On further reflection, I think I may have misspoke. It is possible this is not a new tool bar, but merely Google's changing the background color of an existing tool bar from white to black. We never noticed it when it was white. Now that it is black, we do notice it.

My Google screen is unchanged but I use LunaScape and CometBird as my browsers.

Forum List

Back