Good news: President Barack Obama removes all government funding for abstinence-only sex education

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
NYC and NC
Good!! stop the religious based kookery masquerading as education

Obama’s budget for the fiscal year 2017, the final budget of his administration, not only eradicates abstinence-only-until-marriage sex education funding, it also increases funds for the Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program, maintains funding for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Division of Adolescent and School Health, and calls for a five-year extension of the Personal Responsibility Education Program, according to a statement released by The Sexuality Information and Education Council of the U.S. -

Obama Removes All Funding For ‘Abstinence-Only’ Sex Education

Obama’s budget for the fiscal year 2017, the final budget of his administration, not only eradicates abstinence-only-until-marriage sex education funding, it also increases funds for the Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program, maintains funding for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Division of Adolescent and School Health, and calls for a five-year extension of the Personal Responsibility Education Program, according to a statement released by The Sexuality Information and Education Council of the U.S. -

Why is the federal government involved in Sex Ed in the first place?

Why is the federal government involved in Sex Ed in the first place?
There shouldn't be any funding at all.

Children with good parenting learn this at home. It's the lousy parents that rely on a school to teach it.

Last edited:
That's stupid.

Why is it stupid? How much government money do you need to tell people not to have sex as in the case of abstinence only education?
It's stupid because education is not a one size fits all proposition.

And that is not what is happening in this case. In this case, the government is taking the "one size fits all" proposition of abstinence ONLY education and not funding that one-size fits all education.

You are correct, there isn't a one size fits all so why fund something that ONLY is abstinence?

Good. He should cut it all out.
But since the statits think the federal government should control everything, I think a good solution would be funding all types of sex education. They need to know everything. Not just about how to swallow a pill or spit out the bukkake

If it's such a great idea, then why did he wait till his last budget?

That's stupid.

Why is it stupid? How much government money do you need to tell people not to have sex as in the case of abstinence only education?

And that is not what is happening in this case. In this case, the government is taking the "one size fits all" proposition of abstinence ONLY education and not funding that one-size fits all education.

You are correct, there isn't a one size fits all so why fund something that ONLY is abstinence?
Because it's one facet of a multi-faceted issue. What I don't want to see happen is the removal of the cautionary aspect of sex ed altogether. Kids face enough pressure to sexualize at young ages as it is.

That's stupid.

Because it's one facet of a multi-faceted issue. What I don't want to see happen is the removal of the cautionary aspect of sex ed altogether. Kids face enough pressure to sexualize at young ages as it is.

That isn't happening. It is still being taught that the only 100% effective way to not get pregnant is to not have sex. What has changed is that the government is no longer funding the abstinence ONLY part. abstinence ONLY is what it is, not teaching about anything else other than abstinence.

Why do you want abstinence ONLY education?

That's stupid.

That isn't happening. It is still being taught that the only 100% effective way to not get pregnant is to not have sex. What has changed is that the government is no longer funding the abstinence ONLY part. abstinence ONLY is what it is, not teaching about anything else other than abstinence.

because of how effective it is /sarcasm

That's stupid.

Because I still hold out hope that parents will take their responsibility to teach their children instead of relying on a school system that doesn't respect their values.

Because I still hold out hope that parents will take their responsibility to teach their children instead of relying on a school system that doesn't respect their values.

You aren't really making sense. You want parents to teach their children, yet you disagree with defunding abstinence only education. The two don't equate.

You aren't really making sense. You want parents to teach their children, yet you disagree with defunding abstinence only education. The two don't equate.
I know. I've given up hope on a lot the government educational system does. I would prefer the government not get involved in a lot of things it now controls, and sometimes my cynicism clashes with my pragmatism. There's not enough coffee.

Sounds good. Sex ed will be "evidence-informed and innovative strategies to support the sexual health of our nation’s youth". Surely such innovative strategies would include letting the youth in on the evidence informed fact that abstinence avoids unwanted pregnancy and sexually transmitted disease every time it is implemented.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back