God is speaking to me, asking me what I should be doing with my life...

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
....how shall I answer?

Every time I take a shower, I don't know why, I ask myself the question, "What does God want me to do with my life?"

And I have no answer.

I am a regular guy. I go to Church on Sunday, I try to obey the Ten Commandments, I go to work, make money, help my family when they need it.

But I feel I should be doing more.

Like what?

Does God want me to go to Africa and dig wells for villages without clean water?

Does God want me to go to Syria and drive supplies to war refugees?

Does God want me to serve food at a local homeless shelter?

What?

I think this is part of the process that priests and nuns call "being called."

But I don't think I'm being called to be a priest, I can't be a priest as a divorced man.

Then what?

What does God want me to do?

God wants you to hurry the hell up in the shower so you don't use all the hot water.

My kids are all grown, my wife and I are divorced, I really have nothing left to do in my life but get older and die.

Maybe God wants me to use the rest of my time here on Earth to do something in his service.

Fight the progressive Agenda.
I do that on this forum, but I don't feel I am in service to God while doing it.

I feel called to do something else.

Consider the possibility that your calling is not to a particular noble mission, but simply to lead a good life helping others along the way. Perhaps it is sufficient that you treat all those you meet with a Christ-like kindness and caring thereby making their world a better place to live. The words of one of my favorite hymns may offer you some guidance:

Do not wait until some deed of greatness you may do,
Do not wait to shed your light afar,
To the many duties ever near you now be true,
Brighten the corner where you are.

Brighten the corner where you are!
Someone far from harbor "you" may guide across the bar;

Here for all your talent you may surely find a need,
Here reflect the bright and Morning Star;
Even from your humble hand the Bread of Life may feed,

I hope you find what you are seeking. Until you do there are countless ways you can share your time and resources to enrich the lives of others close to home. If everyone were digging wells in Africa, there would be no one left to volunteer at the local hospital or food bank.

Fight the progressive Agenda.
I do that on this forum, but I don't feel I am in service to God while doing it.

I feel called to do something else.

Consider the possibility that your calling is not to a particular noble mission, but simply to lead a good life helping others along the way. Perhaps it is sufficient that you treat all those you meet with a Christ-like kindness and caring thereby making their world a better place to live. The words of one of my favorite hymns may offer you some guidance:

Do not wait until some deed of greatness you may do,
Do not wait to shed your light afar,
To the many duties ever near you now be true,

Someone far from harbor "you" may guide across the bar;

Here for all your talent you may surely find a need,
Here reflect the bright and Morning Star;
Even from your humble hand the Bread of Life may feed,

I hope you find what you are seeking. Until you do there are countless ways you can share your time and resources to enrich the lives of others close to home. If everyone were digging wells in Africa, there would be no one left to volunteer at the local hospital or food bank.
I feel that I am not even doing anything humble in service of God. The only thing I do is go to church on Sunday, and then I barely pay attention. I hardly ever pray. I'm not a very good example of a Christian, I fear.

I thought you were going to travel Europe and then move to NY and become a writer?

....how shall I answer?

Every time I take a shower, I don't know why, I ask myself the question, "What does God want me to do with my life?"

And I have no answer.

I am a regular guy. I go to Church on Sunday, I try to obey the Ten Commandments, I go to work, make money, help my family when they need it.

Like what?

Does God want me to go to Africa and dig wells for villages without clean water?

What?

But I don't think I'm being called to be a priest, I can't be a priest as a divorced man.

Then what?

There is no God.

Those are just the voices in your head.

We have medicines for that now.

I feel that I am not even doing anything humble in service of God. The only thing I do is go to church on Sunday, and then I barely pay attention. I hardly ever pray. I'm not a very good example of a Christian, I fear.

What you are just realizing now that being a homophobic, racist, defender of wealth and abusing the poor is not being a very good Christian...

upload_2019-3-15_4-44-33.jpeg

upload_2019-3-15_4-45-7.jpeg

My kids are all grown, my wife and I are divorced, I really have nothing left to do in my life but get older and die.

Maybe God wants me to use the rest of my time here on Earth to do something in his service.

Volunteer for meals on wheels. Also volunteer at soup kitchens.

What you are just realizing now that being a homophobic, racist, defender of wealth and abusing the poor is not being a very good Christian...

View attachment 250323

View attachment 250324
You just admitted you don't believe in God, so you are the last person to ask what makes a good Christian.

....how shall I answer?

And I have no answer.

Like what?

What?

Then what?

Volunteer your time somewhere, even if it's just serving at the local soup kitchen. Just find a way to help.

View attachment 250323

View attachment 250324
You just admitted you don't believe in God, so you are the last person to ask what makes a good Christian.
No he did not. And you don't get to make the rules.

....how shall I answer?

And I have no answer.

Like what?

What?

Then what?

1. Shut up
2. Repent.
3. Shut up

Forum List

Back