Global Warming (Assuming It's Happening) is a Blessing From God

It is actually possible to be dumb enough to believe that, or are you exercising sarcasm also?
It was a 50/50 guess as to whether you were being serious. I was being conservative by assuming the worst.

But to answer your question, yes, there are people dumb enough to actually believe what you wrote. Hence my conservative approach.

If my stuff depreciates $10K this year and $10K next year......what happens?
The trouble with numbers is figuring out their meaning.

How fast do you have to buy new stuff? Manufacturing and delivering new stuff puts more CO2 into the atmosphere.

So what was the yearly depreciation of consumer goods for the US since Sputnik. How does the entire economics profession not regard that as important for 6 decades?

Economic Wargames Opinion: (no title)

Last edited:
The trouble with numbers is figuring out their meaning.

How fast do you have to buy new stuff? Manufacturing and delivering new stuff puts more CO2 into the atmosphere.

So what was the yearly depreciation of consumer goods for the US since Sputnik. How does the entire economics profession not regard that as important for 6 decades?

Economic Wargames Opinion: (no title)

So what was the yearly depreciation of consumer goods for the US since Sputnik.

I don't know, what was it?

How does the entire economics profession not regard that as important for 6 decades?

You could probably calculate it. Probably not worth it.

How does the entire economics profession not regard that as important for 6 decades?

You could probably calculate it. Probably not worth it.
If a significant amount of GDP is merely replacing consumer junk that depreciated then how much is really growth? I noticed this in 1976. Is it accidental that we hear about NDP so little?

NDP = GDP - Dcap [Western economic calculation]
NDP = GDP - (Dcap + Dcon) [reality]

Dcap: Depreciation of Capital Goods
Dcon: Depreciation of Durable Consumer Goods

GDP: Grossly Distorted Propaganda

If a significant amount of GDP is merely replacing consumer junk that depreciated then how much is really growth? I noticed this in 1976. Is it accidental that we hear about NDP so little?

If a significant amount of GDP is merely replacing consumer junk that depreciated then how much is really growth?

What is a significant amount when discussing durable goods?

What is a significant amount when discussing durable goods?
There were 200,000,000 cars in the US in 1994.
Suppose each car depreciated by $1500 per year. That would amount to $300,000,000,000 per year.
Is that something economists should ignore while not telling us they are ignoring it? That is cars. What about televisions, refrigerators, air conditioners? I repaired hi-fi equipment for years before I worked for IBM. Millions of people buy technology they do not have a clue about? I had to resist the urge to laugh at IBM customers who bought Datamaster 23s. I wrote and ran my own benchmarks on it. I never saw the word benchmark on any IBM documentation.

We live in a society of people hiding important information.

What the hell? ..

0% for consumer goods, what kind of thief are you? ... business goods the rate is 14.3% or exactly 1/7th ... with some exceptions ... like residential rental real estate depreciates at 3.636% mid-month convention and only straight-line is allowed ... {IRS Instructions to Form 4265} ...

... and of course your Section 179 depreciates the asset in the year it was purchased ... so 100% yearly ... ha ha ha ha ...

Are you recapturing any of this? ...

You'd probably have a better argument if you argued that since the year 2000 the GDP was artificially inflated because of the low cost of money. That's why everyone was able to afford buying cheap electronics that have little resale value.

Economists have been making a big deal of GNP/GDP since the end of WWII. They say almost nothing in the mass media about NDP.
I am merely pointing out that their Net Domestic Product equation is defective algebra.

So what has bad math done to the world in Seven Decades? 5 billion more people must cope with the result.

psikey seems to think if they aren't, GDP doesn't count.........or something.
Can normal people do algebra and figure out how the math relates to reality?

How long does a washing machine last? How much does it cost? How often does it break down? How easy is it to repair?

These are all economic factors.

Suppose a $500 washing machine lasts 10 years and is difficult to repair and an $800 washing machine lasts 50 years and is easy to repair. The 1st depreciates at $50 per year and the second at $16 per year.

We live in a society that has made sophisticated machines for more than 100 years but manufacturers do not provide that kind of data on consumer products. Our nitwit economists do not ask obvious questions and believe passing money around is more important. That is what GDP is, passing money around, which says nothing about the quality of the products.

Manufacturing and distributing the products produces CO2. Surprise, Surprise!

Last edited:

How long does a washing machine last? How much does it cost? How often does it break down? How easy is it to repair?

Suppose a $500 washing machine lasts 10 years and is difficult to repair and an $800 washing machine lasts 50 years and is easy to repair. The 1st depreciates at $50 per year and the second at $16 per year.

We live in a society that has made sophisticated machines for more than 100 years but manufacturers do not provide that kind of data on consumer products. Our nitwit economists do not ask obvious questions and believe passing money around is more important. That is what GDP is, passing money around, which says nothing about the quality of the products.

I'm not surprised that manufacturing produces CO2.

HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW ... you've NEVER depreciated a single thing in your entire life ... that's obvious ...

The 1st [$500 machine] depreciates at $50 per year and the second at $16 per year.

Normal people can do algebra, so what's your problem? ... the first gets $35.71 the first year, $71.43 years 2 through 7 and finally $35.71 in year 8 ... blind stupid thinking your getting 10 years out of a piece of shit washing machine in the commercial setting ... you must be Middle Class ...

The second machine at $800 depreciates at the same rate ... 1/14 the first and 8th year ... 1/7 years 2 through 7 ... citation posted above ... or better yet, stick to your form 1040EZ ... and thank you for paying my fair share of the tax load ...

=====

Like I said ... if you're depreciating your personal washing machine ... you're a thief ...

Like I said ... if you're depreciating your personal washing machine ... you're a thief ...
Depreciation happens regardless of whether or not it is filed with the IRS.

What is Straight Line Depreciation?

With the straight line depreciation method, the value of an asset is reduced uniformly over each period until it reaches its salvage value. Straight line depreciation is the most commonly used and straightforward depreciation method for allocating the cost of a capital asset. It is calculated by simply dividing the cost of an asset, less its salvage value, by the useful life of the asset.

Letting people play word games is just letting them control what you think. Durable Consumer Goods depreciate because the Laws of Physics are inescapable.

Last edited:
Depreciation happens regardless of whether or not it is filed with the IRS.

Letting people play word games is just letting them control what you think. Durable Consumer Goods depreciate because the Laws of Physics are inescapable.

Depreciation is a line item on the expense side of the Income Statement ... personal finances don't generate Income Statements ... you can, but it's redundant ...

Let's look at your second washing machine ... you right ... that sucker will last 50 years for ya ... both your children's cloth diapers, your grandchildren's cloth diapers ... hell, vacuum out the entrails every few years, you will be doing your great-grandchildren's cloth diapers in that washing machine ...

That same machine in a hotel running 24/7 is only going to last seven years ... or less ... buying new ones every seven years, because a big hotel going to have a half dozen, and dryers ... so in business, it makes sense to account for this constant purchasing of big ticket items ... we use depreciation in our business accounting and in separate ledgers than our other expenses ...

Of course things wear out ... we call this "wearing out" ... depreciation is strictly an accounting gimmick to keep our Income Statements in line with reality ... the equivalent in personal finances would be a savings account ... where you put insurance and property tax money out of your earnings every month ...

Depreciation is a line item on the expense side of the Income Statement ... personal finances don't generate Income Statements ... you can, but it's redundant ...

Let's look at your second washing machine ... you right ... that sucker will last 50 years for ya ... both your children's cloth diapers, your grandchildren's cloth diapers ... hell, vacuum out the entrails every few years, you will be doing your great-grandchildren's cloth diapers in that washing machine ...

That same machine in a hotel running 24/7 is only going to last seven years ... or less ... buying new ones every seven years, because a big hotel going to have a half dozen, and dryers ... so in business, it makes sense to account for this constant purchasing of big ticket items ... we use depreciation in our business accounting and in separate ledgers than our other expenses ...

Of course things wear out ... we call this "wearing out" ... depreciation is strictly an accounting gimmick to keep our Income Statements in line with reality ... the equivalent in personal finances would be a savings account ... where you put insurance and property tax money out of your earnings every month ...

GDP is a lie because of "wearing out".

My entire world has been turned upside down.

Damn you psikey!!!!

LOL.

Forum List

Back