Global government strikes down country-of-origin labeling

Why would anyone believe we do not have the right to know exactly what we're buying?

Many countries will not buy US meat because our standards are so low.

Many countries will not buy US meat because our standards are so low
:bsflag:

Why 160 Countries Say "No" to US Meat

Why 160 Countries Say No to US Meat

I dont know who all those countries are....but I'd still rather have our meat than Mexicos which was one of the countries taking complaints to the WTO

That's funny because Mexico won't take our chicken.

And, if we couldn't buy produce from Mexico, we'd be doing without a lot.

I dont know who all those countries are....but I'd still rather have our meat than Mexicos which was one of the countries taking complaints to the WTO

Why wont they take our chicken?

My impression of Mexico is that it is a lawless society.....I dont trust products from there.

Why wont they take our chicken?

My impression of Mexico is that it is a lawless society.....I dont trust products from there.
Just because their own products are absolute garbage does not prevent them from requiring a much higher standard from us.

This is one of the reasons that we should simply reject this free trade bullshit. We have a right to require whatever we want before allowing foreign products in our markets. We should not be giving up our sovereignty to any governing body.

The US allows, as I understand it, 12 times the amount of radiation in seafood that Japan does. Fukashima is dumping radiation into the ocean. Will we be importing fish that Japan rejects?

I want to know the country of origin for everything I purchase, period. I go out of my way to buy made in USA. Sadly some things that used to be manufactured in the USA no longer are and foreign origin is the only choice but even then I want to know the origin. I try to avoid those assholes in China who routinely rip off companies by producing cheap fakes of their products.

I want to know the country of origin for everything I purchase, period. I go out of my way to buy made in USA. Sadly some things that used to be manufactured in the USA no longer are and foreign origin is the only choice but even then I want to know the origin. I try to avoid those assholes in China who routinely rip off companies by producing cheap fakes of their products.

and one of the most important products to label is food. Yet somehow this world government WTO thinks it is unfair to have it labeled...

The "free trade deal" is what kept the labeling on the meat. Didn't you read the freaking article? Our neighbors Canada and Mexico are backing out of the "deal".

The "free trade deal" is what kept the labeling on the meat. Didn't you read the freaking article? Our neighbors Canada and Mexico are backing out of the "deal".

wrong...willful misreading on your part I think

but you know, perhaps some of those 160 countries that say no to our pork, I believe, would allow some in if labeling were allowed, allowing consumers to make their own choices....but this ruling will perhaps convince more countries to outright ban imports.

The US allows, as I understand it, 12 times the amount of radiation in seafood that Japan does. Fukashima is dumping radiation into the ocean. Will we be importing fish that Japan rejects?
Possibly.
The amount of radiation that we are exposed to is pretty damn small and rather irrelevant. Do you think that such levels prove a real threat? Almost all the harmful radiation that we are subjected to is from natural sources.

And the WTO ruled it was not 'fair' and the free trade continues without the labeling requirement. Are you stating that something else is going to occur?

I think the operative word everyone is missing here is "mandatory." The law required the information be place on packaging. This requirement was largely opposed by American industry. The law was nothing more than a political favor for a few choice ranchers in Montana, who hoped that the labeling would give them a boost to their bottom line from patriotic purchases.

Note that nothing in all of this prohibits meet being packaged with country of origin labeling. If companies want to have their beef labeled as "born, raised, and slaughtered in the USA" they can still do so. Now, they have the option to decide for themselves.

Possibly.
The amount of radiation that we are exposed to is pretty damn small and rather irrelevant. Do you think that such levels prove a real threat? Almost all the harmful radiation that we are subjected to is from natural sources.

I do think is poses a threat. background radiation is not nearly that high as I understand it. And background radiation isn't internalized.

And it begins.........Wall Street Journal just had this today....Japan has brought a complaint to the WTO about South Korea because it bans some food and subjects other to increased testing.

Forum List

Back